Protest the Hero - Volition

Crazy Booduh

May 19, 2009
Just wanted to say that I’m stoked that you decided to stock the new Protest the Hero. I remember asking about stocking their last album and you declined, glad you came to your senses with this one :D

I just think it’s awesome how successful the crowdfunding campaign was and that they were able to deliver a great album in the end. It will be interesting to see what the next big crowdfunding success will be in music.

“Plato’s Tripartite” has to be a personal highlight.

Haha…yeah, hopefully. They aren’t exactly a huge progressive metal band but they do have a solid following. I’m sure you’ve made worse gambles.

There’s no question they have a lot of fans as evidenced by the hundreds of thousands of dollars they raised on Indiegogo. So I guess the big question is, how many of their fans already got the CD from supporting their Indiegogo campaign versus waiting until release? I’m really curious how well the album will sell outside of the fans who had already “bought” the album before it was even out.

Is this one any different them Scurrilous???

I can't tell a difference from the few sample songs that I've heard...

Thanks...

I bought a copy. :)

I haven't been much into tech/djent metal in the past, but a few bands/albums have come out lately that inject enough melody along with the technical insanity that I find myself really enjoying them, and this band is one.

I got hooked mainly through the video for the song "Clarity" - a knock-down drag-out fight between Star Trek and Star Wars fans, pretty hilarious.

Is this one any different them Scurrilous???

I can't tell a difference from the few sample songs that I've heard...

Thanks...

Musically it’s very similar to Scurrilous, but I think this album is more focused and just overall better. I honestly felt like Scurrilous was a bit of a misstep (though opinions vary on that) and that they had some forgettable tracks. Volition, on the other hand, is solid and consistently good all the way through. I still feel like Fortress is their best album but I would put this one right below it.

As with any Protest the Hero album, it will take a few listens for everything to sink in. There's just too much stuff going on to take it all in from a couple listens, and not one song has a traditional structure. I don’t feel like samples can do their songs justice.

This is all personal opinion, of course. This is Protest the Hero through-and-through. If you’re already a fan then you’ll probably think this album is great. If you weren’t a fan of their previous releases then this album won’t change your mind.