Question About "Karma"

OpethAllenPoe

Apr 27, 2008
If this has already been asked, I apologize. Karma is one of my favorite songs on MAYH, I've been to many Opeth shows and they havn't played it live. I seem to remember Mikael saying something about Lopez not being comfortable (?) playing it live, but maybe Axe is? Anyway, I think with Axe on the drums and Per on the keyboard Karma could be a very good song live. Anyone else agree or know anything I don't?

I can't imagine Lopez had trouble, even though the double kicks are quite intense. I was under the impression that their not playing it was simply instinctive. However I think it would pwn as a way of exiting a set. Imagine everybody expecting Demon and then Mike's introduction 'this is from MAYH', people yelling DOTF! and then Karma blasts through :headbang:

Exactly. That song has beastly Opeth written all over it. And if I wasn't dead in a mosh pit by the end maybe I would be able to see how he plays that last god forsaken chord.

I will go to the Opeth concert at 20 June in Turkey and I hope they play Karma it is my favourite song from MAYH too.Please Mike if you are reading this play it live so that crowd can go mad !

My Arms is my favorite album, but Karma's nowhere near my favorite track on the CD. But, if Opeth ever showed up and played the My Arms album straight through that would be the best setlist Opeth has ever done regardless of what other songs they played with it. Unless they were all Nirvana covers, that could ruin the mood really quick!

about Lopez not being comfortable (?) playing it live, but maybe Axe is? QUOTE]

A LOT of people seem to forget about Lopez's speed. Yes he had style, flow and tasty fills but Martin Lopez was very quick on the double bass. I've heard some of the live recording of Wreath with Axe playing it (Wreath is probably the fastest double bass Opeth song) and Axe is a tad slower with his feet. Karma is nowhere the same speed as Wreath.

about Lopez not being comfortable (?) playing it live, but maybe Axe is? QUOTE]

A LOT of people seem to forget about Lopez's speed. Yes he had style, flow and tasty fills but Martin Lopez was very quick on the double bass. I've heard some of the live recording of Wreath with Axe playing it (Wreath is probably the fastest double bass Opeth song) and Axe is a tad slower with his feet. Karma is nowhere the same speed as Wreath.

Both times when I saw them live with Axe, he didn't do the fast bit in the ending riff to Deliverance. Instead of 8 32nd notes he played 4 16th notes. Could have just been that he hadn't been able to practice it enough though.