__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Sear Bliss – Glory And Perdition
Red Stream Records – RSR-0171 – 2004
By Russell Garwood

Searbliss.jpg

Hungary’s Sear Bliss are an interesting proposition. If - like me - you are a sucker for symphonics and epic sounds, then - like me - you are likely to jump at the chance to hear a symphonic black metal band with a genuine brass section. When you hear how well it works, it is then probable that – like me – you’ll end up giggling in glee like a little girl. A little girl in a candy store, no less.

Well, not quite, but I do really rather like it. Because, surprisingly, the genuine trombone used in most of the tracks on Glory And Perdition fits exceedingly well, making for dramatic, bombastic music. Well placed keyboards and recitation accentuate this, while never taking precedence over the sound’s metallic nature. The tranquil, relaxed symphonic sections all segue into blasting, raw and theatrical black metal, enhancing their effect. Sometimes melodic guitars, nevertheless often leave the melody to the keys, instead focussing on harsh rhythm work. Growls are a more guttural than the average black metal rasp, while whispers, electronically altered mumblings and the spewed vocals of Attila Csihar (featured on two tracks) add variety. Synths are entirely fitting in the sound, working well with the brass to create a strongly-symphonic sound, while occasional solo guitar lines add variation. The drums are well performed - not completely reliant on blasts, double bass rolls and fills both punctuate the tracks. The bass is not so prominent.

Glory And Perdition is a good album. Admittedly the music itself isn’t hugely original, yet it is well written, skilfully performed, and memorable. The production is excellent - for a black metal release - blending the strong brass and metal music with ease. Hence Sear Bliss is well worth hearing, even for those with only a passing interest in symphonic black metal.

8/10

Official Red Stream Records website
Official Sear Bliss website