Steve Hackett's 'Genesis Extended' tour

Chris Lira

Mar 25, 2003
Asheville, NC
I saw this last night at the Moore Theater last night(it's an old-style theater with balcony, holding about 1400). Great show- Hackett doesn't have a lot of stage presence but lordy can he ever play the guitar. The backing band was very good too- keyboards, guitar/bass/Chapman stick, a general purpose flute/recorder/clarinet/tambourine guy, a fantastic drummer, and singer(who I think is/was in a Genesis tribute band and sounds a lot like PG).

Setlist(not in order after the first two):

Dancing on a Volcano
Squonk
Return of the Giant Hogweed
Lilly White Lilly
Fly on a Windshield
I Know What I Like
Fountain of Salmacis
The Music Box
The Knife
Dancing With the Moonlit Knight
Supper's Ready(Hackett's guitar work here was just surreal)

plus at least one I did not recognize, and I may be forgetting one

Encore:
Watcher of the Skies
Los Endos

Total about 2:15, no intermission.

I need to go back and focus on the drumming on some of these songs because the guy playing was just awesome, and I don't remember Collins' work as being that complex. It was funny because someone shouted out "Close to the Edge!". Hackett replied "You don't know how appropriate that is because Alan White is here in the audience tonight!" (I think he's from Seattle).

In any case, if you get a chance, it's definitely a worthy show for the Genesis fan.

I saw the show the Friday before Thanksgiving (and last year) at the Keswick in Pa. Hackett and the band were on fire! My 18y/o son loved the show. As for the OP's comment "I don't remember Collins' work being as complex," ever hear of Brand X? Collins is considered by many to be the best musician ever to be in Genesis. I had to laugh also because on Progressiveears posters were saying that the current drummer in Hackett's band is oversimplifying/dumbing down the drum parts. I'm not a drummer/musician so I have no idea who is right. It was difficult to focus on any musician other than Hackett. All I know is the show was great and I believe much better than the first show I saw last year, which is saying a lot.