The return of Morglbl...short US tour

lasercd

Man Behind The Curtain
Dec 26, 2002
www.lasercd.com
Morglbl make their return to the US for a brief tour. Don't miss them!!

Wed 8/26 9:00pm Gottrocks Greenville, SC
Thurs 8/27 10:00pm Boone Saloon Boone, NC
Sat 8/29 10:00pm Canyons Blowing Rock, NC
Tues 9/1 7:30pm NJ Proghouse @ Rockn' Joes Kendall Park, NJ
Wed 9/2 8:00pm North Star Bar Philadelphia, PA with special guest Zevious
Thurs 9/3 10:00pm The Tap House Norfolk, VA with special guest Red Building
Fri 9/4 12:40pm Radio interview/performance WUNC (http://www.wunc.org)
Fri 9/4 9:00pm Apple Annies Florence, SC
Sat 9/5 1:00pm Kartoon Guitar Clinic @ Musical Depot Florence, SC
Sat 9/5 3:30pm Bass/Drum Clinic @ Musical Depot Florence, SC
Sat 9/5 7:00pm Concert @ Musical Depot Florence, SC
Sun 9/6 3:00pm Prog Day (http://www.progday.net) Chapel Hill, NC

I've said it before, and I'll say it a million times, these guys are a MUST see if they are playing anywhere near you....Would love to see them in atlanta! :)
:headbang:

Stacy:

Nothing would make me happier than to see Morglbl play at ProgPower. Any fan of Freak Kitchen would love Morglbl. They would blow the roof off of ProgPower. I think it would take some serious arm twisting to get Glenn to even consider it for a nanosecond.

BTW...would you believe that Morglbl played Atlanta a few months ago to a huge 5 paying customers?

Atlanta is a grim town...

Ken

Stacy:

Nothing would make me happier than to see Morglbl play at ProgPower. Any fan of Freak Kitchen would love Morglbl. They would blow the roof off of ProgPower. I think it would take some serious arm twisting to get Glenn to even consider it for a nanosecond.

BTW...would you believe that Morglbl played Atlanta a few months ago to a huge 5 paying customers?

Ken

I had to ask. :cool:

That's extremely disappointing there was such a tiny audience in Atlanta!

They played 3 dates in Georgia. All were announced here. One gig drew 1 paying customer and the other two gigs drew a grand total of 10.

I just searched and couldn't find when/wehre it was posted. I don't recall knowing about it (if I did, I likely would have posted). If I knew I definitely would have done my best to see them. I do recall seeing their tour dates and being disappointed at -not- seeing an Atlanta date.

I do, on the other hand, know that Mike Keneally will be in Atlanta for the first time in a long while (other than playing with Dethklok). Now those 2 bands should group up.

I'm not sure if fans of FK would automatically be fans of Morglbl. Part of FK's attraction is the lyrics, imo. Many people just don't care for music without a singer.

edit: googling I see that they were playing in the Athens area back in April. Maybe I did hear about it then. Too bad they didn't get a good showing.

The question is, why did they play three dates in Georgia of all places? And why are they playing so many dates in SC/NC? Did those states become some kind of hotbed for prog all of a sudden? Outside of Progday and the Proghouse it wouldn't surprise me if they had only 100 paying customers for all those dates together. This reminds me of watching Andromeda in New Port Richey last year to a grand total of about 12 people. Poor choice on their handler to drive over 7 hours one way to play Thursday night after midnight, in a redneck area where absolutely no one knows who you are. I felt so bad for them.

Good question...and here's the answer:

The band's US management is the brother and sister team of Rodney and Julie Cord. Rodney lives in Baltimore, MD and Julie lives in Florence, SC. The band uses the Carolinas as a base because Julie is able to (successfully) cultivate an audience for the band there. Frankly I was quite skeptical myself but the proof is they draw quite well. At their last gig in Florence they drew 200 people. I agree its odd but its true. The band was invited to play at Progday this year and basically needed some gigs to cover expenses so they concentrated on the Carolinas again. At the last minute we were able to get the band gigs in NJ and Philadelphia.

With respect to playing in Georgia, the Atlanta gig came about because a member of an Atlanta based prog rock band was able to get them a gig. He was supposed to come down will all kinds of fans. No one showed. One of the other Georgia dates happened at the last minute. Georgia was basically an experiment that failed.

All of the band's dates were posted on various forums including this one I believe. They drew well in the Carolinas and northward.

Scott, to see Morglbl on stage is to understand the connection between them and Freak Kitchen. I suspect that a strong part of the attraction to FK is the trio's prodigious technical abilities as well as their sense of humor. These are the same qualities that Morglbl presents in concert. BTW, Mr. Eklundh and Christophe Godin are good friends and have performed and recorded together.

If there is any chance you can see the band perform on this short tour I strongly encourage you to haul your butt down to one of their gigs. Its something you will never forget.

Stacy:

Ken

Wow......Madison had a bigger crowd than Arlanta??? In one gig? That's scary. Such a talented band like this must refuse to go unnoticed! :Smokin:
I'm forever grateful for the experiment to send them west this past Spring.
Oh, and it was because of Mattias that I was made aware of Mr. Godin & band(s).