This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

2013: CONSTRUCT

Discussion in 'Dark Tranquillity' started by Defiance, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Defiance

Defiance I vårens ljusa kvällar

The Watchtower on the Moon. (Or, Sendai, Japan.)
    :worship:

LTH: America can be a worthwhile and sometimes vital market to focus on for bands, but on the other hand it is notoriously unfriendly for touring bands, especially foreign acts because of logistics and an often less than reliable concert-going population that changes city to city. How viable is it for a band like DT to tour the US, and what are your opinions on it?

Sundin - Well, there are pros and cons to everything, and US touring definitely has its own unique charm. Whereas most places in Europe tend to be pretty uniform, one can have drastically different experiences in the US depending on what state you play in, and that’s always interesting. Some of our very best concert memories are from playing to a small but devoted audience on equipment that barely works, so we don’t mind that. However, since you mention logistics and obstacles, I should be candid and say that the practical conditions indeed are getting harder. It’s very rare for most European bands to even break even on a US tour because of the high expenses for work visas, permits and flights as well as the artist taxes. In addition, more and more clubs are charging a ridiculously high percentage of merch profits to allow you to sell shirts, eating into the only potential tour income there is. The fact that the US dollar has lost a lot of its value in relation to some European currencies doesn’t help either, so for a band in our position, US touring is mainly a labour of love that’s done to keep the band “alive” overseas and to meet longtime friends and supporters rather than expecting any monetary rewards.

---

I guess that pretty much says it all (great interview, btw), but I'm confused, as I thought that DT massively toured NA, wasn't WAtV the biggest one ever?

I do hope the band has a lot of merch during the tour, as I plan to buy all of it XD.

2. stizzleomnibus

stizzleomnibus Decisively Human

During the WATV touring cycle, they came through the U.S. doing support for Killswitch Engage (actually Philswitch at the time, since Howard was taking some time off). That was around February. Then they were back in April/May for a headlining tour, which crisscrossed the U.S.-Canada border (fortunately I'm a northerner). Since those two jaunts in 2010, and any one-offs like 70,000 Tons of Metal, they haven't been to the U.S. They've traditionally only been here when there's a new album to promote, and as Niklas describes the venues are eating merch revenue so the only real reason to tour the U.S. is to promote the album. And now no one buys albums anymore (or at least gets them cheap and digital), so even that's barely worth it. I'm basically repeating what he said in the interview, but basically D.T. is just under the bar for American popularity to tour here. Amon Amarth and In Flames both do okay, but those are much more mainstream bands.

3. Magrathean

Magrathean worldbuilder

I keep discovering new things each time I listen to Construct. That's priceless.

4. Defiance

It's usually like that with DT, but I agree, priceless and they don't cease to surprise me! I'm flabbergasted that I actually noted new stuff on Uniformity, one of the songs I've heard the most; there are some keyboards in the chorus I hadn't noticed before! :headbang: Martin B. :headbang:

5. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 New Metal Member

Does anybody know if the CD was released with a regular jewel case? I hate digipacks. They don't sit in my CD rack just right, you can't read the spines, and they fall apart.

I'm all for saving the Earth and whatnot, but come on. Every CD I get really excited to buy these days comes in a digipack and I freaking hate them.

As for the music itself, Construct makes me feel the same things I felt when I first heard Damage Done. At the time it came out I was very new to this kind of music and it changed my life. I get the same "ohmygodthisisamazing" vibe when listening to 'The Silence in Between' as I did listening to 'Monochromatic Stains' back then.

6. stizzleomnibus

stizzleomnibus Decisively Human

I think the jewel case was only released in Europe. The basic U.S. edition was a 2 CD set with the bonus tracks in place. Not sure about any of the actual packaging, though, since I only bought the vinyl.

7. gaz

gaz Stargazer

Yes I'm with you can't stand digipaks, but sometimes have no choice.
    The local version I have seen here in Sydney, is the 10 track jewel case with the black cover.

8. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 New Metal Member

I've got half a mind to scan all my digipacks, photoshop and tweak everything to make it fit a standard jewel case and send all that shit to some fancy print shop so I can have some peace of mind about my CD collection.

9. Matse

Matse Customized individuum

Digipacks are much better looking and it brings some diversity into the CD collection. And I do like how in every section of my CD collection different types of packaging dominate. Oh, how I like domination of package.

10. Defiance

This is really DT's best album in a long time, perhaps ever (but we'll see in a year); I feel like that with every album, but this one is certainly more honest than the others.

I agree, digi-packs are the best thing ever. If they don't fit on your CD rack… just put them aside or build a specific rack for them.

11. orcslayr23

orcslayr23 Member

I just got the new album yesterday, and the three songs that really stick with me so far are None Becoming, Immemorial, and Uniformity. The whole album is really good though, I love how melodic it is.

12. Defiance

Nice!! That's interesting, for me None Becoming was the last song I liked, and the only one I didn't completely get into at first. It's a very complex album, the current "Projector", in the sense that there's a departure from what they'd been doing in the last three/four albums. Might be the best DT album, actually. Still thinking that, even after it's been a while since it was released.

13. anita_job

anita_job Member

The only song I dug was None Becoming with its grand, melancholy, and tragic feel. The album was better than We Are the Void but I was a little disappointed to hear the line "apathetic to this life" on the track Apathetic -- we covered that in "Lost to Apathy" some years ago.

My main complaint about this album is that it is overprocessed in terms of mixing. It is just way too synthetic or inorganic sounding.

14. Defiance

Hmmm I disagree with everything you say. What's the problem with the Apathetic lyrics? It's a recurrent theme in DT; I don't see the problem, the lyrics are quite different.

And "overprocessed"? You clearly haven't heard albums like that, listen to new Dimmu or the new Dead Can Dance live album and then we'll talk.

15. Magrathean

Magrathean worldbuilder

I also thought Apathetic was a bit of a rehash of the themes visited in Lost to apathy, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that; as long as the song is interesting and there's anything to say about the subject, I don't mind a little repetition here and there. DT also has a tonne of lyrics about disappointment in oneself/others, about humanity driving the world to destruction, and about how complicated (and at times violent) human nature can be, yet I hear nobody complaining about it.

Rather than "overprocessed", I'd say "ultra-processed". Yes, Construct has an extremely processed feel, but I'd argue that 1) it doesn't take away from the album (or from the musicians' skill) in the least bit and 2) it might even be intentional considering the album's theme (it is, after all, called Construct, which means something artificial -- unless you interpret the title as a verb, which I don't think is the intended interpretation anyway). I usually enjoy a combination of processed and organic (either extreme lacks some important things in my opinion), but here I love the ultra-processed feel; I believe it's intentional, and I believe it adds to the album's, er, punch (for lack of a better word).

On a completely unrelated note, I just looked up Gatineau (expecting it to be a tiny village somewhere in the middle of the Alberta-Saskatchewan-Manitoba region) and found out that it's a pretty important town. (One learns something new every day.) I'm pretty sure your location wasn't that until recently, Defiance...

16. Defiance

I don't think it's a rehash, really; it's simply that Mikael used the word "apathy" again in the title and dealt with themes that are treated in many other (the majority of?) DT songs. The thing is that if you say "rehash" it has a negative connotation, which I don't think should be the case here. Plus, for me it's interesting to see how "Lost to Apathy" is more of a passive construction, in the pragmatic/linguistic sense as its something that we "receive", whilst "Apathetic" is more of an active feeling: I am apathetic towards this life.

I actually find it relatively organic. I mean, you really have to listen to other things besides metal to know what overprocessed means. Listen to the new MUSE album, or the new DCD live album: the latter is the most overprocessed album I've ever heard in my life.

Haha thanks, mate! Nice of you to look up where I live. Hmm no, not around there, and the name is pretty French haha. I guess you might call it important, since it's the closest French-speaking city next to Ontario, and even more, Ottawa (which is, of course, completely bilingual ;) ). It's very much suburbia and there's not much to do at times, but I live in a great location next to a little patch of forest so I have a lot of trees around and a river in front of the house (very nice); plus most of the commodities are quite close, and there are a lot of little independent shops nearby. Even more, bus 8 that takes me to uOttawa is 300m from my house, so it's very convenient. Finally, the best thing I guess is that Gatineau Park is 1km from my house; it's a pretty damn nice park I must say. I once biked up to Pink Lake and almost passed out (about 7km uphill), but it was worth it, it's a beautiful, meromictic lake. And there's an insane amount of bike trails, I've lived here for a bit and still haven't taken them all.

If the band decides to hang out with me when they come here, we should go there :).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2-56xk_iJM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2-56xk_iJM[/ame]

17. anita_job

anita_job Member

I don't mind rehashing of themes (the range of human experience in a given historical context is actually rather limited in terms of possibilities) but covering the same themes in almost the same words is a little different.

The overprocessing is also something that is inherent in the digital medium. Now that recording and mixing is done all digitally (instead of with analog tapes as when DT's first few albums came out) from beginning to end, music as a whole has lost a lot of its organic flavor. For more on that topic, see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_analog_and_digital_recording

18. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

This album is DT through and through. While it might be "more of the same", it's more of the good than the bad and I'm okay with that. It's in my top 5 for album of 2013.

19. Magrathean

Magrathean worldbuilder

Living next to the forest sounds awesome. A good friend of mine recently moved to a beautiful little house right next to the forest in Frederikstad, Norway, and you can't believe how envious I am of him.

The vid you posted shows a very pretty range of colours in the trees, but I cannot fathom why someone would name that lake Pink Lake.

Anyway, Gatineau sounds like a really nice place to live (minus being suburbia, but I suppose all the green makes up for that). :)

It doesn't really matter to me if they use the same words again. Sometimes, there are no other suitable words to use; while the word "apathetic" has a few synonyms ("indifferent", "unconcerned", "dispassionate", and so on), perhaps the band thought none of those words quite fit the song as well as "apathetic". I'd much rather have them repeat (and not even exactly) a phrase they used eight years ago than have the songwriting process suffer just to avoid said repetition.

I'll look at that Wiki page over the next few days, as right now I don't have the time to read that wall of text. Thanks for the link, though, anita_job. As for Muse and DCD (is that Dead Can Dance?), same answer: will listen over the next few days.

In my case, it's in the top 2 for album of 2013. The other contender is Neurotech's The decipher volumes, and it's been tremendously difficult to decide.

20. Drahcir

Drahcir Member

Easily one of my favorite Dark Tranquillity albums. I find it highly accessible. My favorite songs at the moment are "The Science of Noise," "What Only You Know," and "State of Trust."