This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

2013: CONSTRUCT

Discussion in 'Dark Tranquillity' started by Defiance, Dec 29, 2012.

1. stizzleomnibus

stizzleomnibus Decisively Human

According to the DT Facebook page, the US preorder will probably be available next week. I'm in kind of the same boat. The exchange rate means adding roughly 30% to convert Euros to dollars, and that's after adding shipping. Plus, the shirt's only available with the regular CD, and everyone wants the shirt with the box, etc. There may be a better bundle available shortly.

2. anita_job

anita_job Member

3. stizzleomnibus

What, exactly, would make you happy? Not to be a jerk or anything, but I'm not sure I've heard you express any positive opinion about this band since pre-WAtV. There's a certain group of listeners who hated the Haven-through-Fiction era because it got "repetitive", hated WAtV because it didn't have enough riffs, and now won't enjoy this album because it's (seemingly) moody and experimental. Fresh or traditional, it seems like you kids aren't going to enjoy anything that they do.

Srsly, just go listen to Amon Amarth.

4. Cuthalion

I haven't felt this excited about a new DT song since i don't know when... I have heard the song and it is unbelievable, i really thought that they can't progress any further but this is amazing and i really hope that the album will have this general mood. Great job guys, i didn't expect this and i am so grateful :)

5. Defiance

Defiance I vårens ljusa kvällar

The Watchtower on the Moon. (Or, Sendai, Japan.)
    I haven't really followed anita_job's posting, but people shouldn't be listening to DT if they want to listen to the same stuff over and over again.

:kickass::headbang:

I've just heard it. At first, the shock was big, so I was slightly flabbergasted. But then I started to get it. As it's been mentioned, the first thing one really notices is the drumming: quite the departure from Fiction and WAtV, which had more old-school drumming (specially the former); it's like the drumming of Character but taken to an actual (semi?) progressive level. What is also evident is the atmospheric sound the song has at times; it's awesome and it's excellent to hear some industrial-like keyboards, different from the usual more Depeche like acute keyboards; the keyboards are more grave (of course, the acute ones are still there). What really struck me was that this is still DT, you can tell, but a very different, more experimental one. Production seems excellent, as expected from Jens. I also like that the singing is not happening all the time, we just hear Mikael in shorter, smaller intervals, which kind of adds to the whole "tension" of "nothingness"; with the vocals I also think, as a first impression, that they seem much better than on WAtV.

6. Tranquillian

Tranquillian Svartmetallist

\m/O\m/
    What is so great about this song is that I have listened to it probably 10 times by now and it hasn't really started to sink in yet. It will grow even more on me and not get worn out.
    Whereas the new Amon Amarth song is awesome and all but I feel that I will grow tired of it somewhere down the line.

7. stizzleomnibus

I feel like I got tired of the new Amon Amarth track before it was done playing the first time. AA is a great band, they're probably the kings of traditional melodeath. But I can't help but feel like they've been releasing the same great album over and over. There's always a few good songs, but no one really counts on AA to show up and take us places we've never been before.

DT, on the other hand, exists to show us what's possible.

8. The_Fatalist

The_Fatalist New Metal Member

For Broken Words is an intricate song: there's a lot going on, and it definitely takes a few listens to absorb. But I'm extremely satisfied and more excited than ever for Construct's release.

I'm relieved that the keyboards are being used for subtle texture again, as opposed to full-on leads like on WATV (which seemed to relegate the guitars to a support instrument with simplified riffs). The clean guitars are refreshing and very evocative, especially the chorusy-effect at 3:08. After exploring the Damage Done/Character/Fiction sound for so long, this is a bold leap into new territory.

And even though For Broken Words is definitely experimental and a bit 'weird', the tracks in the teaser video sound a lot faster and heavier, and more straightforward by DT's standards. So I'd advise people not to freak out too much yet.

9. Magrathean

Magrathean worldbuilder

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to this. :)

I just heard the new song. There's another thirteen (apparently) songs I haven't heard yet and it's impossible to judge an entire album from a single track, but if the rest of the album is like this song then I'll be a very happy fan. I hadn't been too happy with the Character/Fiction era, to be honest, but then WATV came along and replaced The mind's I as my favourite album; judging from this song, Construct may well do the same thing. I agree with the Last.fm girl about it sounding weird as shit, but it's good weird. This song is incredibly complex, and it sounds like DT is once again evolving into the unknown (for us fans). It's everything I had hoped for. I hope the rest of the album is like that.

10. Plasmaterial

Plasmaterial Member

Love the song. I aint fussy though; whatever DT puts out I like.

Also, Nuclear Blast Distro has an exclusive pressing on white vinyl limited to 200 copies. Snapped two of these up.

11. Thimon

Thimon Member

That's exactly the difference between Amon Amarth and Dark Tranquillity. AA is a bit like Pizza. There are slight variations in the topping but all in all it's always a pizza.
    I really like them as much as I like pizza but sometimes you need something more variable to eat, then it's time for DT ;)
    Both count into my most favourite bands, each for their own good sides.

New Amon Amarth sticks inside your head after listenig once or twice, and is really a good one in my opinion.
    Will take me a lot longer again to get into the new DT album I think. But time will show me that it's worth listening over and over for sure :)

When I first listened to WATV is was deeply disappointed, now it's one of my mostplayed albums ever. It's good that I stumbled over DT after Character and Fiction and not WATV. Otherwise I might not really listen to them :D

New song did not touch me yet after listening to it three times. There's nothing really standing out to me so far. I mean it's not bad at all, it just doesn't give me the goosebumps by now. The previews of the other songs in the Trailer make me look positive to the full effort though.
    And I never liked the first two tracks off WATV either so another not so good opener won't bring me off the path ;)

Looking very much forward to maybe hear a few more clean vocal parts on this effort :)

12. La Rocque

La Rocque I am that I am

Yes, yes
    After several listens, must say I have smiles from ear to ear.
    If this is any indication of the rest of Construct,
    it will be my disc of choice for the Summer of 2013
    YEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA -

13. stizzleomnibus

And here are the U.S. pre-orders through CM Distro.

Upsides: decent prices, reasonable shipping for U.S. addresses, different shirt than the European preorders, and both red and grey LPs available. Also a CD+Shirt+Poster combo.

Downside: both LPs appear to come with a bonus disc (probably the two bonus tracks) rather than a bonus 7". It's a small thing, but I personally like it less than a 7".

EDIT: It's actually not clear at all what's on the bonus disc. The ad says "bonus live tracks", but there's no tracklisting. I'm not sure if the American LP packages even come with bonus tracks; no mention of a 7" or the actual contents of the disc.

14. Defiance

Defiance I vårens ljusa kvällar

The Watchtower on the Moon. (Or, Sendai, Japan.)
    Wahoo! Just pre-ordered the Construct German CD boxset, German White LP, Character 2CD and WAtV ltd. tour edition! :D

Now I'll just order the ones from CM Distro, maybe the shipping won't be as expensive heh.

15. anita_job

anita_job Member

Which is why I stopped listening after Fiction. I don't think this album will be nearly as bad as that judging by the first track which had some good but underdeveloped ideas.

16. La Rocque

La Rocque I am that I am

I'm in

Is there anything I missed for the different issues of Construct?

LP ... white, grey, red
    CD ... box set(Germany), USA issue with bonus disc/tracks
    a regular issue(no extra tracks), Japanese issue -

17. stizzleomnibus

Isn't there also a black European vinyl? I think it's black and white through EMP and NB, and red and gray in the U.S. Plus the is basic CD release in Europe, and Europe and the U.S. both get the box set.

18. Taliesin

Taliesin Immaturity Aside

AA are one of my favourite bands, but I think your assessment is correct ;)
    AA have been doing the same thing since Versus the World basically, adding some melodies, finetuning and stuff, but it's basically the same concept every time. I find myself listening to older stuff more and more, especially The Crusher, but the new stuff is pretty solid imo. They dont claim to reinvent metal and they dont. You know what to expect when listening to AA and with the right expectations, they dont disappoint ;)

So far I dont really know what to make of the new DT song. I tend to agree with anita's "Not feeling it". The lyrics are great but for some reason the song just doesnt feel as "intense".
    Then again, all DT albums have taken their time to grow on me, so my opinion is probably not final ;)

19. stizzleomnibus

20. krofius

krofius Active Member

I really liked The Science of Noise, way better than For Broken Words in my opinion. Some of the tremolo riffs almost feels a little blackish, and I fucking love tremolo riffs. The keyboard definitely adds a cool and mystic atmosphere as well. Now I got more hyped for the album again. :D