This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

4 or 5 string for first bass

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Doctor Gay, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Doctor Gay

Doctor Gay Heel

I was thinking of making the switch to bass. Primarilary because I suck at tech metal on guitar. Is the transition less stressful?

I was planning on picking up a $150 squier. Should I savces more?

2. XnaySaturo

XnaySaturo Member

I made the same switch about a year and a half ago. I bought a 5 string ESP LTD. I think I paid something like 400$ for it, and I was really happy with the quality. However, I just got an Epiphone Thunderbird and IMO it's better. I don't think you'll have a problem at all transitioning to bass, whether its 4 or 5 strings. 4 string basses have a bit more space between the strings.

3. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

5 string bass is great for playing 4 string stuff, but a 4 string bass won't allow you to play 5 string stuff ;)

I'd save a bit more and go for the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz 5 string if you can. Will last you a VERY long time. Whereas a $150 cheapo you'll want to upgrade not long after you've bought it I'd imagine.

4. Josh Burgess

Josh Burgess Member

I have a 5 string and now wish I had got a 6 string instead.

4 strings are much more comfortable for slap bass though, because the strings are spaced further apart.

5. Doctor Gay

Doctor Gay Heel

Apart from the space thing, I like what I'm hearing, seems like I'll hold out til I can get a 5-string. Worst case scenario, I should be able to remove a string.

@josh I don't even use 6 strings on guitar, lol, but thanks for your insight!

6. Tommy Evans

Tommy Evans Member

I bought a 5 string as my first bass and loved it. I'm borrowing a four string currently just for the hell of it.