This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

500 series, SSL X-Rack etc. when mixing?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Erlend_, May 16, 2009.

1. Erlend_

Erlend_ Member

Hi.

Ive been looking into all these modular systems as they seem to be a nice way to incrementally upgrade a studio.
    You can buy new modules when you can afford it and there seems to be a ton of different kinds of pres and eqs you can get (especially the 500 series).

So lets suppose I have a interface with a 8 channel external AD converter running into Cubase. I can see how this would work when tracking, but how would you use this stuff when mixing?
    I mean, look at the SSL Mynx, which is essentially just one channelstrip. Does that mean that you can just use it for one of your channels when mixing? What I mean is, do I have to bounce each track through it at a time?
    Im supposing that there must be a way to work around this because otherwise I hardly see the point of having just one channelstrip (except for tracking).

Any of you guys here got a setup like this up and running and wanna enlighten me? :)

2. lolzgreg

lolzgreg Cereal Shipping Sneapster

If you have soley an eq and compressor in the mix, you can use it as an assignable analog insert if your board/inteface permits. Otherwise you would just run it as your input channel strip for tracking (it makes sense, IMHO). I would rather get a set of 8 pres, or 8 eq's 8 comps, etc.

-Greg

3. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

You can either use it as a real-time insert on your track or bounce all your audio through it offline. The kicker is that Cubase doesn't let you do both interchangeably without re-assigning your I/O settings. Another win for Steinberg ;)

4. trym^^

trym^^ Member

i'm looking into buying the api lunchbox,
    which i would use mainly directly during tracking.
    in the mixstage i'd have a nice 2buss comp,
    parallel comp for drums and maybe one or two
    eqs for vocals all run through adat i/o into
    rme converters.

5. Erlend_

Erlend_ Member

Seems like I will be using the 500 series stuff for tracking then.
    I think Ill focus on preamps and just use plugins when mixing..