This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

5150(6505)/5150 II(6505+) and Rectifier Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Backline' started by lolzgreg, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Random3

Random3 Member

Hey guys, thought I would share a couple of recordings I did regarding the 6505 as part of some research for my album I am recording for my masters.

This one is a tone experiment, This video shows various different settings used and plays the resulting sound. The settings are listed as 5 numbers (low, mid, high, resonance, presence).

All other settings were unchanged throughout.

These were recorded with two Shure SM57s and a Sennheiser MD421. I also used a Boss NS2 and Ibanez TS9DX in front of the amp. The guitar was an Ibanez Prestige RG2570Z with a DiMarzio Crunch Lab pickup.

Some of these settings are just ones I wanted to try myself, others are supposed settings used by various bands that use this amp. I would like to say that I cannot verify how accurate these are, as some are from the Peavey 6505 manual and some are from various websites and forums. Some of them are for the 6505+ or the 5150 III, but I decided to try them on the 6505. I simply found the settings and wanted to try them, but I cannot comment on accuracy.

Finally, these clips are completely dry. There is no processing at all, the only changes I made was levelling out the volumes of the three microphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mp7JrC65aI&list=UU6ebB0Fev3ADUViAOkXmhww

I also wanted to test how the volume of the 6505 directly affects the tone. I recorded these clips using two Shure SM57s and a Sennheiser MD421.

I played the riff once per volume setting. All EQ settings were set to 6.

To compensate for the increase in volume, I adjusted the input gains on the channels to compensate, so that the recorded volume was as consistent as possible.

Hope this helps, thanks for watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdfmoMZO13g&index=4&list=UU6ebB0Fev3ADUViAOkXmhww

2. belensky

belensky New Metal Member

quick playthrough of peavey 6505 and music man axis. I always dreamed about having 5150/6505 but newer got it, first I didn't have money, then I when I had money I already had some other amps.