This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

5150 Question - What Tubes are you using?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by guitarguru777, May 31, 2010.

1. guitarguru777

guitarguru777 Member

I have been researching this subject for the last 2 weeks since I picked up my 5150 and I have seen a shitload of options.

After doing some research I found my amp has whats called an "Integrated Quad" setup. This comes from EuroTubes and consists of 5 ECC83 High Gain Tubes, 2 KT88 Output Tubes and 2 6L6 Tubes. The KT88s are used in the 2 outer sockets and they are all JJ Tubes.

I did a test today with my 5150 and the results really surprised me.

I ran the amp as purchased with the "Integrated Quad" setup and did some recording. Then I popped in 2 of the other JJ 6L6 tubes from my Valve King and did some recording.

The tone between the 2 was virtually identical. I even did some frequency analysis on the signals and the differences were negligible.

[​IMG]

(Full Size Image http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9boTVSvpF7I0sStw5wv21g?feat=directlink)

Now I attribute some of this to that fact that the amps volume is only on 2 and the power section really isn't working that hard (that's just a guess) but I am in an apartment and anything over that volume the neighbors start banging on walls.

Then again it could be my noob ears ...lol

So what tubes are you using in your 5150 and what do you prefer. I am not talking so much about brand as I love my JJ's and will probably never switch, I am talking more type as far as 6L6 vs KT88, Integrated Quad setup vs Stock Setup.

Thanks
    (I can post sound clips later if you are interested to see if you can hear the difference)

2. Lasse Lammert

Lasse Lammert HCAF Blitzkrieg

stay away from those "integrated quads"...I know that Bob (or whatever his name is) says it's perfectily fine to use them....it's not!
    You can't just drop any tube you want into any amp (without changing parts) and call it a day....and even if you change grid resistors and adjust the bias circuit...does the tranny deliver enough juice to run the KT88 (heatercurrent)? what about OT and impedances etc?

also about those ecc83.....I guess you bought at eurotubes...those are just JJ 12ax7, not a bad tube, but IMO too muddy for the 6505 unless they're combined with tighter/brighter tubes (like chinese etc)....

all that said...in an amp like the 6505 the preamp tubes don't make a major difference (in more straight forward amps they do), neither do the powertubes (this amp is getting its tone from the preamp anyways)....

my advice would be to get some chinese/tungsol/jj for the preamp and put high quality 6L6 in the poweramp (=C= are awesome).
    bin those tubes you bought as an "integrated quad"..they should be called "integrated nonsense" anyways.

EDIT:

here's what Roger Crimm (Peavey) says about the topic:

3. pipaguapique

pipaguapique Remember Me

i thought it was insane at first...

...i kind of like insane though...i tried them...and they sound pretty hard core.

but since i heard your 5150 lasse, i would rather have bought =C='s

4. Fragle

Fragle Member

@lasse: he's talking about running 2 6l6 and 2 el34 though, but the integrated quads are actually 6l6 and kt88 tubes.

anyways, winged C all the way. i'm loving mine :)

5. Lasse Lammert

doesn't matter "intergrated quad" just means 4 tubes of different kind...the problem with KT88 is the same as with el34

=C= FTW
    fucking up your amp by believing some "expert" who's only trying to sell tubes FTL

6. Glenn Fricker

Glenn Fricker Very Metal &Very Bad News

=C=. Great advice.

7. Wolfeman

Wolfeman I Prefer EL-34s. So What?

Running kt88's and 6L6's is actually worse than running 6l6's and el34's.

But bottom line is, the transformer can't handle those kt88's.(heater current too high. Pray they don't go wacky and pull more current).

And if those KT88's drift out of spec, things will start to fry quick(OT,PT, Fuses, Tubes, Resistors, etc.) Just stick with 4 SED 6L6's and you are golden!

Edit- Ah the guy from Peavey said it all. Damn.

8. Wolfeman

And from my experience, stay away from Eurotubes. Only place I've bought tubes from and they came to me bad. And this happened more than once.

TubeDepot has never done me wrong. All tubes are always what they say they are!

9. guitarguru777

guitarguru777 Member

Ya I made that decision today based on some shit I been hearing like this for the past 2 weeks. Im just going to go straight up with the 6L6's. How are the winged C tone wise comparable to the JJ. I have JJ's now and really like them.

10. Lasse Lammert

not a major difference in that amp (changing the bias makes a bigger difference)...the =C= are a bit more definied with a tighter lowend and more sparkle..the JJ have thick and juicy mids, but as I said, not a major difference.
    the Quality of the =C= is better though, so I'm buying them for reliability

11. Wolfeman

+1

12. guitarguru777

guitarguru777 Member

So on the next retube =C='s are gonna be worth the try :)

Thanks

13. mburton21

mburton21 Member

I shall also try these "winged C"'s. I've been using the Eurotubes Standard Gain full retube once a year after moving off of the ridiculous High Gain kit. I don't think it's anything like "integrated" quads - since they're just 4 matched tubes of the same type (6L6GC) - in terms of dangerousness. However I am looking to tighten up the lows a bit more and these intrigue me.

14. TheWinterSnow

TheWinterSnow Den Mørke Natt

Let me come in burst a lot of bubbles to some degree, but just about everything coming out of both Bob's and Rodger's mouth is pure garbage, neither one of them are credible in terms of reliable information. The only real issue with running an amp designed for 6L6's with other types of tubes is the obvious, 6L6 amps were not built strong enough to handle the heater currents of the tubes and you have to assume that the maximum SAFEST output power dissipation that a OT can handle is the standard 150 watts granted the oversize of the older 75 watt OT's that Marshall used to run 2 OT's on when they believed there could not be an OT big enough to handle more than some 60-75 watts, with a quad set of KT88's you are getting close to near 200 watts in class A and about 180 watts in AB, which means your OT could get hot if you crank it too hard.

Honestly though if the Power tranny and OT were beefed up enough to handle EL34s or KT88's there would be no issue whatsoever if the tubes are biased correctly at their properly set impedance loads, but in a stock 6L6 amp, things could overheat real quick. Maybe you should throw some 88's in a 6534+? :D

15. MetalJonesy

MetalJonesy more metal, more booze!!!

Im using the stock JJs in the preamp (standard on 6505s these days)

And replaced the Ruby power tubes with a set of JJ's, really like the tones outta the amp now!

16. guitarguru777

guitarguru777 Member

Oh im definitely not interested in running the 88s especially after doing research and "tone tests". I dont see any advantages of swapping out the transformers and moving up to 88's in a 5150.

There is just so much contradictory info in response to this "Integrated Quad" deal. Supposedly the guy that had the amp before me has been running it this way for the last 4 years with no issues. The amp works fine, i dont see any "mods" done to it other then a logo removal and some "cosmetic" changes.

I just thought it was real interesting that there was no difference in the tone. Funny thing is even when I asked the guy from EuroTubes about it he said at the volume I am running the amp I wont notice the difference. I really need to crank it up.

When I asked him how high he said about half way. I get this amp on 3.5 / 4 on volume I am already drowning out the drummer ....lol

I dont think I would ever run the amp hot enough to notice a difference if there was one, and if I did I risk losing a transformer. So whats the benefit exactly? :lol:

17. TheWinterSnow

TheWinterSnow Den Mørke Natt

you hit the nail with the hammer in a discovery. Tubes, do not color the sound until they begin to distort. A KT88 will not take out a tranny if your not cranking that hard, because the failure will result from tranny overheating and since you are not cranking it hard to saturate you are not overheating anything. Problem is, as soon as you begin to turn up, that is when you will pull both trannys.

18. guitarguru777

guitarguru777 Member

So heres another question .... there a way to run this bad boy at half power other then with a power soak? i would realy love to get the 6l6's pumping and see how it would sound.

19. mburton21

mburton21 Member

I used to pull out two of the tubes in order to cut the power to 60 watts. Outside pair or inside pair, either one.

Not sure if it has a negative impact, my old Tech told me that it wasn't a big deal. I stopped doing it for other reasons.

20. MetalJonesy

MetalJonesy more metal, more booze!!!

im sure ive heard you pull out 2 tubes and you need to halve the output impedence(well tha cabs impedence)

would love to clarify this on the 6505!