This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

7 string guitar question

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Lazzari, May 3, 2009.

1. cobhc

cobhc Amiga Enthusiast

Ah well fuck it, it's not like I can play leads anyway lol.

2. Agonal

Agonal Member

I'd save up and get a seven string guitar that already has the pickups you want in it. If you route and all that it will be harder to sell it if you want to get rid of the guitar later.

I love both of my schecters (hellraiser c-7 and loomis non trem) I also have other sevens that i never play because i don't feel they live up to the schecters with emg's. 707's rule imo, lots of gain, noiseless, and you don't have to worry about the length of cable degrading the sound quality.

I have also played at 81-7 in a cheapo washburn and it was nice but to me wasn't as balanced in frequencies as much as the 707, but that could have been the wood choice in the guitar or cheap build.

I can't really give my opinion on higher quality passive pickups for 7's cause i've never used them. I'd like to know which are the best for a good bridge pickup lead sound (ala Per from Scar Symmetry)

3. Dylan S

Dylan S Celephai

Schecters do feel big in comparison to Ibanez but I love the big feel and I love the fact they are really heavy. I have a hellraiser and a loomis sig too and I love them both dearly.

4. slayercannibalsuffohead

slayercannibalsuffohead Get a dog up ya!

Arsehole of the universe, Ballarat Australia
    I have an RG 7620, no skunk stripe, and a mate has an RG7420 with skunk stripe. When we took the necks off, both had 7620 stamped on them. My neck is noticeably thicker than his, although not anywhere near the Schecters Ive played. His neck is great for leads, but I dig mine overall, especially for rhythm.

If cash permits, I would buy a second hand RG 7620, may have a 707 already in it, and the bridge on these things are amazing, you can hang off it all day and no tuning woes! :headbang:

5. motomoto

motomoto Member

:headbang: Nice dude! How different is the neck between the hellraiser and the loomis?

6. Dylan S

Dylan S Celephai

There is a fair amount of difference really, but when comparing both of them to say an Ibanez neck, they're both similar to each other...if that makes sense.

The Loomis is a little thinner, and I mean only a little. It seems like the width stays more consistent going further up the neck, whereas the hellraiser gets slightly bigger, but honestly they're both awesome and feel great.

I love how big and heavy schecters are. They just resonate so well.

7. motomoto

motomoto Member

Thanks for the info man.I've only played the 6string models and the neck had that Gibson feel-thickness lets say.Only more comfortable.I guess the 7strings are thick-wide enough.Never stoped Loomis sweep picking like a mother****er though:headbang:

8. Lazzari

Lazzari Chakachakalabuchaka

well the only problem is that in our country we can only use 400$ for internet purposes.. yeah it fu**ing s*cks.. but hey what can i do lol... i might get the 7321 and buy a SD Blackout but if i dont like at all the sound i get with the SD then i guess ill have to go running to the emgs..

9. Sacha

Sacha Throbbing Member

I wouldn't bother with the hassle of putting actives in with all the amazing passives out there today, but that's just me.

10. Lazzari

yeah i know there are really good passive pups.. but the wood from the ibanez is basswood and idk wich pup will give me that metal sound im looking for..

11. cobhc

cobhc Amiga Enthusiast

Something like the 707, you need that thickness in there to combat the thin Basswood body.

12. Lazzari

yeah the 707 is my best option.. but exactly what type of routing i have to make for the emg to fit on the guitar ?

13. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

It's pretty fucking bad dude, check out this pic I posted earlier, you would have to butcher that Ibanez to get it to fit, and since you'd have to rout through the finish and clear coat, it'd be really hard to do it cleanly - I really feel your options are either a 7-string Blackout or a 7-string with EMG's stock! :erk: And one BIG reason I prefer active pickups is because the buffered signal (by virtue of an internal preamp) means the impedance of a DI box doesn't matter as much, and also you can have longer cable runs, both of which are quite convenient!

14. cobhc

cobhc Amiga Enthusiast

Well if you go for the Blackouts, go for the Blackout neck, in the bridge position, it's the same as using an EMG 85 in the bridge, and will even out the thinness of that basswood body pretty nicely.

15. Lazzari

Damn so many options hehe.. if its that of a BIG thing to put the emg then i guess ill go with the blackout, but the neck model in the bridge ? does it work like a 85 ?

16. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Eh, I don't think that's necessarily the case dude, and the Blackout Bridge is already plenty fat/flubby/muddy already IMO! :ill:

17. Lazzari

So if i buy one has to be the phase 1 right ?

18. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member