This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

A song for project using Sturgis Samples

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GearMan2point0, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jpsmithrocks

jpsmithrocks Member

I think using DFH as a starting point is good but I've heard a lot of DFH reocrding which sound quite real sounding...

I do concur that using SD 2.0 especially with and expansion pack does give you "non-fake" sounding drums...

I actually have heard of beat craft but have never used it until I bought it last night after listening to this recording...

I'm new to the whole recording side of the house... I would usually make basic drum tracks in DFH/SD 2.0 for song writing and then send it off to get drums programmed to the tracks according to what I wanted with a limited description but when you use the same guy over and over again you build a rappor you know... and for the last 10 years or so I've really focused more on my performing than learning how to engineer or mix/master recordings...

It wasn't until I realized I really liked all the bands the joey produced did I start building a home studio and diving into the world of engineering...

Scrapped my logic apogee/studio for cubase 6... got waves gold, etc...

So in your opinion your saying beat crafts is better then DFH and/or steve slate is better DFH...

2. jpsmithrocks

jpsmithrocks Member

I'm new to this whole side of the house... would you say beatcraft is better than DFH... considering I have Kontakt 4/Komplete... and several sturgis drum samples... black and gold fullkit, shoudler city stuff... huge snare...

There are times when I'm like man DFH sucks I can't do do this or do that's when I usually call a drummer and have him do this or that for me on a live or electric kit and send it to me...

But I would like to become more and more independent on the drums side of the house...

3. Jan [MTW]

Jan [MTW] Member

Not a fan of Beatcraft... But with SSD you can get very far, as you can see/hear with Joeys Mixes. Another good way to go is blending Superior Drummer with Slate samples like a lot of people in the Andy Sneap forum do.
    You can archieve very realistic results with this combination. However, the right processing is as important as the samples you use. ;)

4. jpsmithrocks

jpsmithrocks Member

What about as far creating compositions like the one posted here...

5. GearMan2point0

GearMan2point0 Musician/Engineer

I actually got a question about Joey, does he record REAL drums and then replace them? or does he completely just programs them?

6. GearMan2point0

GearMan2point0 Musician/Engineer

oh and beatcraft is only good for being simple, I use it because it is fast for me, but I would recommend using Superior or SSD or both.... Beatcraft is good for me, but probably not what you are looking for my friend

7. jpsmithrocks

jpsmithrocks Member

He records live drums in the studio with triggers on the kicks, snare, and toms and uses live overheads... then let's the band blind choose samples for there record... then sends it out to be edited and quantized...

Occasionally he'll re-cord cymbals, toms, kick or snare to fix errors... these usually become samples on his site...

8. Sixstringmayhem

i feel like with vocals this song could really be something. the intro is very original sounding with the choir. im impresed

9. jpsmithrocks

jpsmithrocks Member

So exactly what was process and method used to create drums? did you use a controller or just click the beats on... expand please... as in how did you work through creating the drums?

thanks

10. JeffEstrada

JeffEstrada Ascend Recordings

Love the sound of the cymbals. :D

11. DayByDayBand

DayByDayBand Thrashin' With Pashin'

i think now a days, he records them and then replaces them. but im not too sure

12. OneDaySky

OneDaySky Clint

Thats IT!