This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

About the lower traffic on the board...

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by labrekk, Jan 27, 2016.

1. labrekk

labrekk Member

I like the new forum design, it's nicer and more modern, and much more fun to read on a mobile device, but I'm wondering why people don't post anymore? It's very quiet around here since the change of design. If it weren't for KingsGene posting all the news and new YT videos, it'd be even worse...

#1 labrekk, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  2. Fury of Polaris

I imagine it's due in part to the time of year - The initial excitement about the bands announced for next year has started to die down and it's still a long ways away... Things will pick up once we get closer to the festival and people start getting amped up for it. Also, PP has put a lot of focus and emphasis on various social media sites these past few years. I'm sure a lot of people get their news and discuss things through Facebook etc rather than coming by the board.

Mardoch likes this.
  3. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

I agree. Though the annual top 50 from Glenn usually brings a lot of traffic for a while, and that was more muted this year. I think people will be more inclined to get adjusted to the new forum software in a hurry when it gets closer to fest time.

I quite like the new stuff, though. Lots of neat features. And the mobile is more mobile-y for sure, but I've never had a problem with plain forums on my phone before so it was alright to me on the ancient stuff, too.

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

I've also heard from other regulars that they have moved away from the board and onto Facebook over the years.

5. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

I believe the social medias are the preferred mode of conversation and commenting as most savvy types think those are "cooler" than old-school discussion forums. I prefer this forum because I can get to it via my company firewall (all the social media sites are blocked), and I still suck at typing on my phone.

I know it's personal preference and all that, but those that don't like the new forum design just haven't really given it a chance IMHO. It is really much easier to use and has so much more to it than the old site.

I'm going to continue to use this forum and post like crazy, even though it's really only Mardoch, Labrekk and Firebreath that read the stuff... ;)

6. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

I'm going to continue to use this forum and post like crazy, even though it's really only Mardoch, Labrekk and Firebreath that read the stuff...

Definitely still read it, but am not as enamored with the new software as you guys are.... I could completely do without the avatars showing on the thread page if it would give me more threads on a single screen, for example.... And its very possible that there is a setting I could change that would fix that; I just haven't had the time to explore.

I've seen the same thing over on the PM board as well though post-change. Seasonality probably plays a big part of it, but with all the new releases dropping the next few weeks hopefully things pick up.

7. Mardoch

I just plain hate Facebook. There's no substitute for an old school forum thread, imo. I know UM's not going to try to decide which threads I would like the most, too.

Kez and NorseBlood like this.
  8. NorseBlood

NorseBlood franks n steins

Agreed. Facebook sucks big hairy dank balls. I have no idea why people want to post their lives on a web site that is only going to use their info to generate profiles of people and sell them to anyone that wants to pay cash for them. Nothing good will come of it. Forums like this one rule.

#8 NorseBlood, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    Mardoch and Kez like this.
  9. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Social media is indeed the biggest culprit. As our Facebook page grew, the numbers here begin to shrink. That pattern has continued over the past few years. I will also say that we saw a huge drop once a private "unofficial facebook group" was launched last year as well. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It simply became the preferred place of camaraderie instead of here for long time regulars because it adds to "all in one shopping" as compared to having to surf to various websites.

Plus, all of the old folks simply have moved on. They have other time constraints and focuses. The newer fans that have kept the festival growing were raised on social media- not forums.

NorseBlood likes this.
  10. Fire breath

Fire breath Member

Sad to say that if you post a new video from a middling band not a biggie, you'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 responses and the thread will soon drop away. The album might be the best thing since sliced bread for some but it gets ignored although the views are quite high the lack of comments is disappointing Even a "this sucks! Fuck off" would be welcome lol!

11. Mardoch

That's kinda funny, cause I've tried to stick to the "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything," mantra. Mostly.

12. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

I often don't reply with my opinion because I am on forum the most while at my office, and I can't access YouTube across corporate firewall. I have to jump over to my phone and pull it up if I want to check it out, or remember to look it up at home. I used to post new threads about more obscure bands, but I don't do it anymore unless I've actually heard the clip.... I know, what a novel concept!

Please don't get discouraged, I love your posts....keep em coming!

NorseBlood likes this.
  13. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

Speaking as one of the "old folks", I agree with Glenn's assessment. Although I still post occasionally, I just don't have the time I once did to write reviews, year end lists, etc. Hell, my oldest friends from this board I started communicating with via newsgroups. It's just the natural evolution of digital communication.

14. Mardoch

15. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

I just don;t have the time anymore to post much. Plus I am too busy at work to even get on the net most days

Oblivion Ocean likes this.
  16. Keir

Keir Member

It's a pretty universal trend (in fact, this is one of the more active forums I visit). Personally I much prefer forums to Facebook because they encourage actual discussions and sharing of information, while FB appeals to more of a ooh/cool/funny/move-on-to-the-next-thing mentality.

NorseBlood and Kez like this.
  17. King Lek

King Lek King of Lekworld

never a big poster here to begin with....still stop by several times a week to read, listen and such as time permits.....being quieter here, guess I do stop by less though....but have to agree, so many other things going on in life my attention across all platforms, not just message boards, is not what it used to be years ago.

18. Diamond45

Diamond45 Terminate Bad Music

Most people have already hit the nail on the head.

1) Down time of the year (far way from September)
    2) Facebook is *THE* social media outlet these days
    3) A lot of people have moved away from the PP forum because of all the bickering going on between people

But, I think a fourth is that people are STILL getting used to the new forum layout. I understand that this had to happen for multiple reasons. But, I'm not a huge fan of the new format. I guess I'll get used to it eventually. Just not yet! :)

I still read messages, just not in a posting mood very much these days.

19. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

LOL

20. Pitiless Wanderer

Pitiless Wanderer Active Member

It would just be easier if there was a sticky thread where people put all their new finds and recs. With so many threads dying it's difficult to keep track of everything. It would be easier if things were consolidated in one place.