This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Acoustic-electric guitar, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by locus_coeruleus, Sep 11, 2014.

1. locus_coeruleus

Hey there. My friend is going to the USA and I asked him to get me an acoustic-electric guitar. I want to spend 300-400 top and I'm not sure what I should look for. I want it to be a cutaway guitar but since I never had an acoustic electric one I don't know what brands make good guitars of this kind. Any suggestions?

I asked on 7strings forum and someone suggested the G series from Takamine, but on the takamine forums there's this discussion saying they are not so good: http://www.takamineforum.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?p=55567&sid=8c420b4f7d70379561c1cebc87b2a6a6

2. Manicompression

Manicompression doing it for the kids

I think the yamaha series in that range is pretty excellent.

3. locus_coeruleus

what about Seagull and Taylor guitars?

4. Manicompression

Manicompression doing it for the kids

Seagull are well respected but I havent loved any of the ones I have played, a bit stiff feeling and nothing about it justified the slightly larger price over a comparable Yamaha or Alvarez. Taylors tend to be pretty awesome but your not going to get a full size one for 3-$400.

I would point out I dont consider myself an expert acoustic player, but Ive worked at a mom and pop guitar store and played enough to know what I dig. I personally think cutaways on acoustic guitars tend to make them sound worse and arent worth the 3 or so extra frets you can hit more often than not. I would also say that acoustic instruments in general vary so much in tone and feel that I would never be comfortable buying one sight unseen / unplayed. I have played $200 acoustics that have amazing tone and $1200 models that really stink. I can only recommend the Yamaha FG series because I have played quite a few and they have all sounded well above the price tag and felt consistently good to me. I would just buy something that you can try out wherever you live, unless thats really not an option.

YMMV grain of salt...

5. Inceptic

Inceptic Member

Eastman Guitars. I spent a Saturday morning at Guitar Center, disappointed at everything I grabbed, even stuff above my budget.

I then went to a smaller mom & pop store in the afternoon, and was blown away when I tried the Eastman.

6. locus_coeruleus

Thanks for you opinion. I don't like buying without trying myself first, but since most of these guitars are hard to find in my country and if I can get them, they cost exactly the double they cost in the USA, I can't miss the chance. Even if I get a guitar I don't end up enjoying, I may sell it and make a profit of it. That's why I'm decided to do it despite not being able to try them.

That's an interesting point on the cutaway thing. I may change my mind and look for alternatives. And I will check that Yamaha series for sure.

7. Star Ark

Star Ark Member

I bought 2 different sigma acoustics just a few months ago and both were in that price range. If you like the Martin sound Sigma are perfect because they were owned by Martin until a few years ago and the new owners have the rights to make a 100% exact copy of the entire martin range. In Australia we can even buy them with a sigma and co. head stock just like the Martin but in America I think they have kindred/sigma on the logo. Mine almost sound identical to the Martin version and were almost a third of the price. Yamaha fg series is ok but more obscure brands can really kick ass.