This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Album of the Year, 2014

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Kenneth R., Nov 4, 2014.

1. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

I like Leprous' vocalist. I like the singing on Soen too. It sounds like a Swedish guy singing English. I'd say the it sounds more like Mikael Akerfeldt than Keenan.

2. Sauna

Sauna Member

^-- Åkerfeldt might indeed be closer in sound than MJK, depending on how much emphasis one puts on the accent. As far as the (attempted?) style goes I've always though the latter was a more natural comparison though.

The Soen guy just makes me cringe, but accurately describing all the reasons for that is probably beyond me for the most part. It doesn't help that I find myself getting more and more picky about lead singers as time rolls on, especially when it sounds like they're being forced on territory that's... somehow beyond their ability to handle convincingly. 'Cause the guy doesn't sound half as bad when he's being a bit more subtle.

3. sknight

sknight Are You Morbid?

LI, NY-The center of heavy metal and SUVs
    1349- Massive Cauldron of Chaos
    Threshold- For The Journey; Not to belittle the last two, which were superb, but this one has just that little extra oomph and darkness that makes it so satisfying
    Kuolemanlaakso- Tulijoutsen; Finnish doom metal. So satisfying and so much ambience and bar none, one of the best doom bands out there.
    Orange Goblin- Back From The Abyss
    Mayhem, Insomnium, Solstafir, Opeth, Electric Wizard, and many others are somewhere up there. Once I get more time, I'll have a full scope, but these are all pretty damn high up there on the list.

4. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

nightingale
    transatlantic
    Iq
    enchant

5. Liquid Tension

I played this and Pale Communion back to back and was surprised how much a like they sounded at times...

6. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ Prog' Drummer

I haven't heard any albums from 2014. :(
    I used to be on top of things, but since moving out on my own, I've lost it!

7. TheVarangianGuard6600

1. Blind Guardian- Beyond the Red Mirror
    2. Sabaton- Heroes
    3. Hammerfall- (r)Evolution
    4. Iced Earth- Plagues of Babylon
    5. Edguy- Space Police

8. Phanto

Phanto Alalalalalalalala.

Your number 1 is not from 2014 ;)

9. symphonyXjapan

I just found out that not only Angra have a new album out, but it came out in December. Strange thing is that I would occasionally look out for news on a new album and there was never any word about one so they must have just kind of announced and released it REALLY close together or something?

Anyway, it came out a bit too late in 2014 for me to be able have time to listen and absorb it as a 2014 album; however, it did just recently release in North America this month so I COULD just consider it a 2015 release...