This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Am I the only one who thinks TOOL is Overrated

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by UNDEROATH777, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Flaming Death

Flaming Death It must have been strange

2. simonc2

simonc2 Serenity Painted Death

I really loved Aenima but I think the rest of their albums are OK but no where near as good. There seem to be a lot of metalheads who don't bother with it because its popular. One person said he liked Opiate but not the others because there too popular now. How lame can you get not listening a band just because there popular?

3. dimensionidol

dimensionidol free thinker

4. IntoObscurity

IntoObscurity Member

This discussion is so dumb. No, Tool is not overrated. You might not like them, but they're still a great band.

5. gcele

gcele färdas naken

Now, I haven't listened that much to Opiate, but I think that Opiate and Undertow are no way near as good as Ænima and Lateralus. These two later albums are more or less equally good, although they are quite different (Lateralus needs a bit more , no, a *lot* more, listening before you really appreciate it than Ænima does).

6. Diluvial_bloodshed

Diluvial_bloodshed Sorrowblood

Aenema is an okay album, and what do you mean the lyrics are one thing? I think it's Maynard and Carey what makes the band over-rated, I cannot believe how much credit people give the two. I think they are sort of repetitive, but not enough to get a significant mentioning of.

7. NAD

NAD What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse

Wow, you're a real music fan. Granted, I stay away from a lot of the more popular music as well, but because it's CRAP, not because of its popularity. Opinion of music is subjective yes, but reasoning like this? I'm sorry, but you sound like a 13-year-old "rebel" without a fucking clue.

8. Harp Heaven

Harp Heaven Culture Vulture

Wow, the riffs are easy huh? Well, it MUST suck then. And whaddayaknow, they are popular! Holy shit are they crappy!

I love Tool. Aenima singlehandedly got me into metal. The atmosphere and the emotion of the songs is what makes them great, not technicality or brutality.

9. dimensionidol

dimensionidol free thinker

i think that maynard and carey make the band...

exactly the opposite...

:zzz:

10. Blade

Blade Member

Being a metal fan for many MANY years. I think TOOL still is one of the better 'popular' metal bands, and think the drumming is on par with some of the best I've ever heard. Although, I do agree that they are pretentious, Maynard hiding in the shadows during their recent tour and trying to be all 'artsy' was a downfall. But, all in all, they are probably the most talented popular 'metal' band of all time.

But then again, metal is a pretty vague word these days....

11. rheap1

rheap1 Sarcophagus

Popular or not. Who the fuck cares. If you give them their proper deserved time there is no way that they can impact you in anything in a positive way. For the stereotypical metal head on UM, I'd be hesitant to fully recommend TOOL to them but for all those who can sit down, relax, and listen critically to music, then I would heartily agree to check them out. I agree, Maynard can come across as a somewhat self-centered individual, but through the meanings and themes in his lyrics this is actually the contrary. The biggest test for the TOOL skeptic is to merely let go of any pre-conceived notion and leave all biases at the door, then just maybe you will understand.

12. alpha666

alpha666 Rev. J ROCK!

sounds like me when i was 16 ... then i grew up. c'mon man get over it you are missing out on great music. tool are a great band and they don't need to go out of their way for self promotion.

13. sh0kr0k

sh0kr0k Active Member

I've never really gotten into Tool. I did get to see them live last year and they put on one helluva great show that left my mind racing for days. But as far as their music goes, I don't really enjoy it a whole lot.

~Sh0k~

14. Diluvial_bloodshed

Diluvial_bloodshed Sorrowblood

Okay...the only aspect of Tool I've found tolerable is Chancellor's basswork, but I kind of agree that they make the band, I also think they're given way too much credit ( as musicians, not compared to the other Tool fellows )

Also, I couldn't understand why people hate popular music for being popular. Given that a lot of mainstream fans who go for flashy noise, sometimes excellent stuff breaks through the barrier.

15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Blow It All To Hell!

Well said :D

16. CONCLAVE OBSCURUM

CONCLAVE OBSCURUM untruly evil

TASTE... TASTE.... TASTE....

If you don't like TOOL.... good..... Maybe you like NILE or DARK TRANQUILITY.. even OPETH...

Some other people might say that TOOL its amazing, even more than.. humm.. "Nile" (Yeah, right).
    Mather of taste.

I think TOOL its amazing, as an alternative rock band.

17. LordFireworm

LordFireworm Member

I don't care for them either really.I do think they have talent but I could never find the interest for them which is odd enough considering all my friends like them.
    I do think Maynard is way overrated though.He's great at what he does but there is little to no variation.People who claim he's better than Mike Patton make me laugh.
    I do agree however that anyone who doesn't like them because they're popular is fucking retarded.Get a life.

18. Blade

Blade Member

I think maybe you took my reply the wrong way. TOOL is one of my favorite bands...

19. Immortal Death

Immortal Death Beyond The Gates of Hell

Tool is an excellent band... and as I've said before I really disagree with anyone calling any band overrated...

20. forevernin

forevernin Member

they have a few good songs but I wouldn't go see them in concert though