This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

AMARANTHE: Maximalism

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by KingsGene, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Charlie Dudley

Charlie Dudley So where do we begin and what else can we say?

If you like their music, you'll like most of this album for sure. Songs like "Maximize", "Limitless", "Fury", "Faster", "Break Down and Cry" and "Fireball" stay true to the Amaranthe sound to which we're accustomed. I feel that "Boomerang" and "21" are along the same lines as "That Song", very poppy, but unlike "That Song" these two songs contain some harsh vocals, so, for me, it saves it a little bit. There are more hip hop elements than previous. I think "Boomerang" is strange in the way it mixes a rock/hip hop sound with some harsh vocals. Because of that, it's a fun song but I'm sure a lot of metal purists will hate it. I know someone in this thread said Elize sounded like Rhianna in "That Song". I agree and she sounds similar to her again in the tail-end of the chorus of "Fury". The song "Endlessly" slows it down in true power ballad form similar to "Amaranthine"; Elize gets to show off her vocal chops for sure. Overall, this album explores a lot of sub-genres for sure, and probably their most "mainstream" release to date. I wasn't a big fan of "On the Rocks" or "Supersonic". The album as a whole is extremely catchy, which is to be expected, and has some songs that will be great live. Looking forward to next September for sure.

2. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

3. Oblivion Ocean

Well.....

Good news is that it is not as bad as the singles might have suggested.

Bad news, it is their worst album by far. Songs like On the Rocks and Boomerang just dabble in too much pop stupidity. I don't mind if they dip deep into the well of pop sounds and catchy choruses as they create their music. But they dig a little too deep and incorporate not just the sounds but the horrible pop troupes. While their lyrics were never from the "Peart school of thought provoking lyrics", they were never this dumb either. Dumb pop lyrics and just borrowing cliches like "drop it while it's hot" and "na na na" choruses is not blending pop into their style, it is co-opting the dumbest elements of the genre.

4. NorseBlood

NorseBlood franks n steins

I like what he says at the end of his review:

"Personal experience has taught that regardless of what was laid down in the studio, Amaranthe’s music takes on a volatile new life on stage, leaving even the haters pasted to the back wall by the time the house lights come up."

5. Megawozniak

Megawozniak Alex from Canada

Hmmm, I actually think boomerang is my favorite song on this album. Oh well.

And I disagree about the lyrics hitting a new low - they've always been completely stupid and gibberish. Not a knock on them, I enjoy them live.

orcslayr23 likes this.
  6. orcslayr23

orcslayr23 Member

Here's my scorecard for Maximalism:

Great songs: 1 (Break Down and Cry)
    Good-ish songs: 3 (Maximize, Boomerang, Faster)
    God-awful songs: 4 (That Song, 21, On The Rocks, Supersonic)
    Forgettable songs: 4 (The rest)

I've been able to look past their generally poor lyrics because at least their first two albums were great. Supersonic made me want to kill myself though: "We are not ironic, we're supersonic!"

7. nailz

nailz Member

that's what you're taking issue with but the lyrics to Electroheart are poetry.

8. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

9. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

10. Oblivion Ocean

Talk about a tale of two albums. Both this and the new Sonata Arctica did not make the nest first impression. Each listen of the new Sonata has me warming up more and more and discovering all these great subtle cool things. Each subsequent listen to this album and I find something else that really annoys me. 21 is just horrible it ls like a song for every bro who still unironically says "what happens in Vegas stays in vegas" in 2016. The "mic drop" thing is dumb as dirt. While there are some good songs, unfortunately they are drug down by the bad songs.

11. NorseBlood

NorseBlood franks n steins

12. nailz

nailz Member

Oh this is so weird. I thought Evanescence broke up.

13. Bear

Bear Got Shred??

So I know you're being facetious but Evanescence is going strong!!! Got a new badass chick lead guitarist!! too Much better than the new Amaranthe...Oh shit did I say that aloud ;)

Bear

14. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

15. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

16. labarum

labarum Cotton Candy Collector

Jake E just posted on FB that he will be taking a break from the band. Looks like he is going solo so it will likely be a permanent break. I guess this is just something you run into with 3 vocalists, one of them leaving can totally impact your sound so much. I know there has already been a replacement for the growled vocalist, and I think it was an upgrade. I wonder who they will pick up for their replacement clean singer.

17. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

18. Steveo

Steveo New Metal Member

Well that sucks. I was looking forward to see this lineup.....

19. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Tags: