This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Amorphis and Kalevala

Discussion in 'Amorphis (Unofficial)' started by Sad Madrigal, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Sad Madrigal

Sad Madrigal Happy

Hey guys, there was a thread on the official Amorphis forum which linked chapters from Kalevala to Amorphis songs and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anybody repost it or something? :)

2. Eurynome

Eurynome Kukkahattutäti

Let's see... for the passages quoted in Tales, see here. Eclipse quotes from Kullervo's Story, which retells chapters 31-36, Silent Waters is mainly based on chapters 11-15 (T&A: chapter 26).
    Skyforger refers to chapters 9 (FEIR), 10 (Sampo, FTHOMH), 19 (Majestic Beast, Godlike Machine) & 36 (Silver Bride); Course of Fate draws on 33 and 36 but is mostly based on Kainulainen's own imagination, as are the remaining songs.
    The Beginning Of Times is also rather loosely adapted, but contains at least the following references: Battle For Light ch. 47 & 49, Mermaid & On a Stranded Shore 5, My Enemy 3, Song of the Sage 44, Three Words, Escape & Crack in a Stone 16, Beginning of Time 1. Blizk and Tuuletar, please add anything I have possibly forgotten... ;)

requiem likes this.
  3. Sad Madrigal

Sad Madrigal Happy

WOW thank you very much:kickass:

4. Sad Madrigal

Sad Madrigal Happy

I did some research and came to this conclusion:

Tales From The Thousand Lakes and Black Winter Day , Elegy , Eclipse , Silent Waters , Skyforger , The Beginning Of Times

Runes:

01. In The Beginning ; Forgotten Sunrise ; Beginning Of Time
    03. My Enemy
    04. Better Unborn ; Drowned Maid
    05. Forgotten Sunrise ; Mermaid ; On A Stranded Shore
    07. The Castaway
    09. From Earth I Rose ; Separated
    10. Skyforger ; Highest Star ; Sampo ; From The Heaven Of My Heart ; My Sun
    11. I Of Crimson Blood ; A Servant
    12. Her Alone ; Towards And Against ; Weaving The Incantation ; Enigma
    14. The White Swan
    15. Sign ; Shaman ; Silent Waters ; Black River
    16. Three Words ; Escape ; Crack In A Stone
    19. Godlike Machine ; Majestic Beast
    22. Black Winter Day ; Cares
    24. Course Of Fate
    26. Forgotten Sunrise
    27. First Doom ; Magic And Mayhem
    28. Into Hiding ; To Fathers Cabin
    31. Born From Fire
    32. Perkele (The God Of Fire)
    33. Stone Woman
    34. The Smoke
    35. Leaves Scar ; House Of Sleep ; Same Flesh ; Better Unborn ; Two Moons
    36. Empty Opening
    37. Silver Bride
    44. Song Of The Sage
    47. Battle For Light
    49. Sky Is Mine ; Moon And Sun ; Moon And Sun (Part II: North's Son) ; Battle For Light

Also the Kanteletar poems for Elegy songs:

Foreword, poem 4 (The Brother Slayer)
    Foreword, poem 19 (Weeper On The Shore)
    Book 1, poem 1 (My Kantele)
    Book 1, poem 26 (The Orphan)
    Book 1, poem 46 (Better Unborn)
    Book 1, poem 54 (Cares)
    Book 1, poem 219 (Song Of The Troubled One)
    Book 2, poem 53 (Elegy)
    Book 2, poem 248 (Against Widows)
    Book 1, poem 123 + Book 1, poem 86 + Book 1, poem 14 + Book 3, poem 6 (Of Rich And Poor)

:heh:

5. Brell

Brell Member

I wanted to give this thread a bump. 1) Because I think it's awesome! And 2) I am currently reading the Kalevala (just finished the 4th rune), and I am using this thread as a reference as I read the book. :headbang:

papajohnny and tuonelan like this.
  6. Summer Ewe

Summer Ewe Wandering Tree Hugger

Yes, this is a very helpful thread! I can't wait to read it too, I've been eyeballing this Dutch copy since the start of my Amorphis kick:

[​IMG]

It even has a "tr00 metul" cover. :D

papajohnny and Brell like this.
  7. papajohnny

papajohnny Member

Nice cover indeed. Fitting for such a book.
    It reminds me of the cover and illustrations for one of my favorite childhood books.

Brell likes this.
  8. requiem

requiem I bleed sir, but not killed

Amazing posts and I can't believe that I haven't bothered to track the book down yet. I have read all of the Icelandic sagas and tonnes of other medieval literature. This will be my next reading project!

I just ordered the Oxford World's Classic version from 2009.

9. Eurynome

Eurynome Kukkahattutäti

Unfortunately my links above do no longer work because whoever is in charge of what is left of the Amorphis website decided in their infinite wisdom to do away with all the lyric & background info I had collected there over the years, but for those of you interested in the links between the Kalevala and the actual Amorphis lyrics, I'll post them here. Starting with Paavo Haavikko's Kullervo's Story, which provided the basis for Eclipse:

The Story of Kullervo
    I have a good memory. I remember how I was born, not from a woman but from the fire. That was my birth. I wasn’t killed. I wasn’t given my right, not even the right to die the day I was born. I do remember how the Father woke up, Mother woke up, how they disappeared into the smoke [...] and this master came and took me away. Do I remember this, I don’t remember, and I’ll never forget. But I don’t dwell on it. I don’t want it to
    fade and grow distant in my mind.

Thus muses Kullervo, a youth on the threshold of manhood, kept as a slave in the house of his uncle. The uncle, Untamo, had spared the boy during the family feud years ago, carried the infant to safety from the fire he himself had set to the cabin of his brother, Kullervo’s father. Out of flames and smoke he had brought the boy home to his barren wife, who could summon no love for the child, always fearing the man he would grow into, fearing his memory, his revenge.

They took me here to raise me. To work. To be an extension of this axe handle. [...] Grew up under the table. Grew up to table-top level. Grew taller than the table. I was always underfoot, under their eyes, in their teeth. [...] I was called Kullervo. That was mine, my name. It was like a curse.

Untamo, unwilling to forego a pair of good strong hands, pays no heed to the forebodings of his wife. Kullervo is sent to the blacksmith’s to buy a tool of his own, a sturdy axe to put to good use in the master’s forest, far away from the house.
    The blacksmith asks Kullervo to lend a hand in the forging and compliments him on his good work – the first and only praise the young man is ever awarded.

Eager to prove himself, Kullervo heads out into the woods. In no time, he cuts a vast clearing as ordered, chopping the felled trees into firewood. But after the axe has done its work, Untamo arrives, devastated. The birch thicket over yonder should have been cleared, not these tall trees. Not his priceless spruce forest, prepared over decades to deliver the logs for a new house someday. Unable to bear the sight of the ruin, Untamo turns away, leaving Kullervo with the instruction to burn the trunks and to fence off the clearing. And so Kullervo does, burning piles of wood during the days and resting beside the glowing embers at night, hardly daring to sleep, always ready to wake up should fire break out unexpectedly -

Perkele. The god of fire. I woke up. It woke me. It woke me because I sleep with my hand held over a burned spot, at the edge of the burned ground. [...] Good hand, it knows to wake me up when the fiery ground burns it. I know how to take the broom out of the water I’ve dammed, to put out the fire. It won’t surprise me in my dream. My dream wakes me up, instantly, and without a word. My hand is a trap for that fire. If it wakes up or ignites, I drown it with water, kill it on the spot. It won’t have time to run far, it won’t get away from me…

Kullervo does not return to the farmhouse. He stays in his forest dwelling all summer, tends the fenced clearing and turns it into a field, sows the seeds Untamo has given to him, and watches the grain grow and ripen until the time comes to reap the harvest. A good harvest it is, plenty of work for Kullervo, who is determined not to leave a single grain unthreshed, not to give his master any more reason for reproach. And he threshes all of it, pounding everything to chaff and powder, rendering it unusable. A great calamity, says Untamo, disbelieving and afraid, eager now to sell his unlucky slave and nephew before winter comes.

The new master, an old man, entrusts Kullervo to the care of his young wife. The mistress sends him to take the cattle to the pastures. Kullervo doesn’t understand why she would give him this task, fit for a child, not for a man. Neither does he understand when she later visits him, bringing him a freshly baked loaf of bread. A token of affection, or just a new mockery? – This loaf is the way you think it is. It’s like you, or like me, the mistress says, encouragingly. But Kullervo does not dare to break the bread. – If it’s like me, there’s a stone inside. – Tomorrow, I’ll bring you another loaf, the mistress says. This one I made in my likeness. And she returns the following day, carrying with her another loaf. Kullervo refuses to try either one, and she knows her good intentions were to no avail. A loaf with a stone inside is what you’re looking for in this world. One like yourself, she comments, sadly.

You already have a woman here, one made of stone. You made her yourself, for yourself. You piled her up, made a stone face, stone eyes, stone fingers, arms of birchwood. [...] It makes me sad to see that you’ve made yourself a woman out of rocks and wood, grasses and tree bark, to lie beside you. Poor you. There’s no room beside her for another woman, a live and breathing one. You’re hard. You’re afraid of softness, afraid of love.
    Hate is what you love, the mistress says.

Kullervo gives no answer, thinking to himself, I made that stone woman for you to see and to say: “Don’t make a stone woman. I am here.” But the moment is gone, the chance has passed. The mistress leaves, taking the wrong way through the treacherous bog, takes a wrong step, and drowns in the bog. Too long Kullervo waits before following her, too late he comes to save her. He wanders across the bog until he reaches dry land, walks on without looking back. Passing Untamo’s
    house along the way, he decides to set fire to it.

The smoke followed me, but I walked on and it didn’t reach me. [...] I was headed home. A grove, yellow with flowers. I had a dream that when I get home, father and mother will say, “we’ve been expecting you.” The path I walked was monogrammed with kullero flowers, and it took me there. I walked into the yard, up the front step, opened the door.

The son, thought dead for many years, returns home to find his mother and father alive but burdened with age. The young man’s strength is welcome, and again he finds himself being ordered around. At his father’s bidding, Kullervo loads sacks of grain onto the sleigh and takes them to the mill, more than a day’s ride away. But he finds the driver’s seat to be a good place, and holding the reins an enjoyable task:

Now I know how to do things. No longer will I listen to any advice. Now I know, and it’s working. I won’t listen to others, I won’t ponder things. What if the others don’t feel anything? What if the others weren’t made the way I was made, so that everything hurts me?[...] I used to think that people were made the way I was made, but I was made by fire, born from fire. I don’t want to know anything about anybody: no family, no name, let it all go! And it is going. Fate changed, life healed, like a wound. How does the kind of life heal that leaves a deep scar? I don’t know.

Returning from his errand, directing his horse through ice and snow on the long journey home, he spots a small figure ahead of him. From a small dot she grew to the size of a finger, out on the frozen lake she slowly grew, from a tiny thing, on this lake as I drove to meet her. He stops beside the girl and folds back his blanket, inviting her to join him in his sleigh.

I wish you hadn’t said that. When I saw you, I decided that if he doesn’t ask or invite or ask questions or ask for my name, then I’ll get into his sleigh, the girl says. – And you shouldn’t have folded that blanket back. I can do that myself. I dress and undress myself. I cover myself, I uncover myself.

She continues on her way, and Kullervo on his. But before nightfall he meets another girl, with a broken ski and worn shoes. Without hesitation, she gets into his sleigh. There is no need for many words, or questions. I’ll be good to her, Kullervo thinks, I won’t spoil this thing by talking, asking, I won’t ask her a thing. While he is building a camp for the night, she wonders why they both seem to know each other’s thoughts. Kullervo hushes her:

Don’t talk, sleep. It’s a greater skill in this world to sleep alive than to sleep with the dead, to sleep well and to wake up. I’ll never sleep alone again, never without you. Because whatever you say to me will be lies, but what you don’t say I already know, all of it, without having to hear it. Don’t talk. I won’t talk. What would I talk about, and even if I said something to you, you would take those words… or maybe you wouldn’t, but I would hang myself! There’s so much power or magic in words, don’t use them, when you can get by without. Sleep! I’m not ordering you to sleep, I’m making you sleep. You don’t know anything yet, about sleep, because sleep is a house built for lovers. You’ll be the mistress of that house of sleep, quite soon. You’ll be given the wide belt of a mistress, and the big key to the granary. When you come with me, you’ll inherit it from my mother.

As lovers they wake the following morning, a man and a woman. They continue their journey, first to the girl’s home, where Kullervo will ask for her hand. She takes the reins, and how familiar the horse seems to her, how strangely familiar the road to her parents’ house looks to Kullervo…

You are my sister, Kullervo says, gloomy now.
    - Well, now that you know that, don’t say it, the girl says. – It didn’t hurt me any.
    - That’s what my sister says, and during that day came Spring and Summer, the clouds tore through two full cycles of the moon in one night, and I didn’t say it. I wanted to say: “Whence did you fly here? Any other girl but you who were born by the same woman as I. But it was you I found, the same flesh and blood but a girl, a woman, yes, it was you I found, you I met and slept with, my sister, one just like myself. Myself, no one else in this whole world.” But I won’t say it. [...] A hard place, this world. Nowhere else does one make as many mistakes as here, Kullervo says. – What’s done is done, done and gone, don’t worry and fret about it, says the girl, a wise woman.

Together they arrive home, indifferent the sister, the brother deeply troubled. She sees no reason to let their mother know, but he feels the urge to tell the truth, or anything, tries to speak, struggling for words:

- Mother, on the road I met your daughter, who is my sister, and I took her into my sleigh. She had broken one of her skis. Spring came in one day, the clouds in front of the moon tore themselves to shreds so that two moons passed in one night. Winter went, Spring came, I brought the sleigh back, and I slept on top of the sacks so that not a single grain or seed would be lost. It’s all in the sacks now, saved. The clouds tore off their clothes and washed them in the rivers of rain, and naked, in the dark, they waited for their clothes to dry, those clouds. They even darkened the moon, they would have tried to kill it if they could have reached that far, as it spied on the cloud women who were washing the clothes they had taken off in the waters of heaven, and two moons passed in one night, Kullervo says to his mother, piling up lies like a little boy. Many words.
    - That’s a long story you told me. I would have understood a shorter one right away, but this one I had to listen to, from beginning to end, Kullervo’s mother says to him.

Under the same roof they live now, brother and sister, man and woman. Kullervo washes his hands with grass and sand, scrubbing himself clean. But at night his sister calls to him, come to bed now, and he follows. You did a wicked thing, the mother tells her son, reproachful but too weary to care, knowing her daughter’s days are numbered. The plague has befallen the girl and will soon claim her life - people begin to die before their time, Kullervo realizes, turning his mind to his unfinished revenge, setting his thoughts once again on Untamo. He leaves to complete his self-appointed task, to burn down and destroy the hated farmstead for good. Unharmed by the smoke, he watches the buildings burn, sword in hand, waits for Untamo’s kinsfolk to run from the flames. Kills them one by one, sparing none but the old dog. But he returns to find an empty house. The disease that took his sister did not spare Kullervo’s mother and father, leaving him finally alone in the world, alone with his sword.

Who could have buried them? No one will bury me. A beautiful day, when it’s over. Beautiful yard, trees, up against the sky, there it is, an empty opening. Grasses. They live one summer. This world is so good and dear to me that I’ll kill myself. I don’t want to live here. If there were a wicked world, and war, I’d live, I’d go on, I’d kill. A good life, the best I’ve ever had. [...] If one would improve it beyond this, it wouldn’t be a world. Myself, that’s who I found or met here, behind every door, at every gate. How did I get here? – Grew up under the table, grew to table-top level, grew taller than the table; was always underfoot, in their teeth, in their eyes. I was a boy out of which they made a Kullervo. And he became a good Kullervo, as Kullervos go, you have to admit that – hey, Kullervo’s sword, don’t deny it. Help yourself.

All passages in italics are excerpts from Kullervon tarina/Kullervo’s Story
    by Paavo Haavikko, transl. Anselm Hollo. Art House, Helsinki 1989 (ISBN 951-884-002-4).

For a slightly different rendition of the tale by the same author see Paavo Haavikko, Rauta-aika. Otava, Helsinki 1982.
    The traditional version of the Kullervo saga is found in the Kalevala, runes 31-36.

#9 Eurynome, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Summer Ewe, Brell and papajohnny like this.
  10. Eurynome

Eurynome Kukkahattutäti

Pekka Kainulainen's poems for Silent Waters (never got the originals, unfortunately)

Lemminkäinen – Original Poems
    Original poetry by Pekka Kainulainen.
    Translated from Finnish by Erkki Virta.

Song 1: Lemminkäinen
    I am of crimson blood
    nought shall hold me
    the dark of night my mirror
    My shape reflected in water

Ablaze are my eyes
    my soul consumed by woe
    my braids weaved by the wind
    An image in the black of my mind

Leave I must with haste
    me who tires of quiet life
    me who’s path leads to war
    me who fears no death

I yearn for more
    I yearn to rise
    I yearn for everything
    I yearn for you
    I yearn to rise!

Song 2: I Want
    What was denied from poor
    I took to riches be
    I ran on its’ behest
    it made me take my due

To death I’d plunge with joy
    For happiness to fetch
    Prepared to face I am
    The war under black soil

Wont to crawl I was
    Wont to cringe and fawn
    A lowly servant on hours of day
    But a holder of nocturnal sway

I ‘m righteous if I so desire
    until I shall reveal my worth
    and take unto myself
    What was denied from me

I stalked them in their celebrations
    I delved into their worlds
    I aimed at the highest of high
    and decided it’s mine to take

What is denied from poor
    is taken to love be
    I run on its behest
    it makes me take my due

Song 3: Mother Mine
    Only one can make me do my good deeds
    only one and the shadow of that one

Only one can make me do my evil deeds

Only one can make me wage all my wars

My wit, my knowledge
    borne of her advice
    My desires I fulfill by revolt

her alone will I lend my ear to
    only her I want to obey
    her alone will I want to serve
    only her I want to defy

Only one can make me do my good deeds

Only one can make me do my evil deeds

Only one can make me do all my deeds

Song 4: The Departure
    I have known the arcane lore
    on strange roads such visions met
    that I have no fear nor concern
    for hatred and obstacles of this world

By stoneshoed wanderer I’m taught
    My visions from fiery eyed ironarmed chanter
    I know how to fight, I know how to sing
    I know how to bend, I know how to break

I’ve not grown weary on lenghty roads
    on strange lands not gone astray
    such is the knowledge cast in me
    such is the knowledge and such are the skills

I know the way

If ruin is said on me to befall
    it has not come to pass
    I’ve conquered all who stood on my way
    and drowned the snakes of death

And because of treason I now shall leave
    because of my blood burning my soul
    now I raise the flaming sword
    towards darkness and against everyone

I know the way
    I know the way

Song 5: The Incantation
    So high soared my love, now cruelly rejected
    If there be peace above, I’ll find it when I rise

A mind dejected, blood boiling with anger
    the storm of the warpath now sings in my heart

To battle I equip myself, to warfare I prepare
    My sable locks I comb down, and bridle them with resin

I don my enchanted black cloak of adders
    my flaming sword high, summon strenght from the night

Your prayer shall not reach my heart
    your despair shall not stop me now

Your pleads I now shall disregard
    to weep I leave you, and to fear for me

And only this I give you, as a token
    for you to have and mourn over:

This precious hairbrush that belonged to my father
    I now hurl at the opposing wall
    and when my blood flows from its bristles
    when my sap drips from its’ shaft
    then you will know of my anguish,
    then will my destruction be revealed

My sable locks I comb down, and bridle them with resin
    my flaming sword high, summon strenght from the night
    now ready for my pain I am, now ready for my end
    now ready for my road I am, now ready for my victory

Song 6: The Enigma (narrator’s voice)
    On warriors trail rose obstacles of stone
    he was deluded and led astray
    forces strange he had to face
    and magic unseen before

He asked and was not answered
    he asked for and was not given
    but he was not discouraged
    he had no mind to quit

Into a whirling mass of waters
    up on the highest mountains
    of his desire and will he spoke
    from ruin rose to claim his due

And then he faced the one, the highest
    and shadow moved in Louhi’s mirror
    his restless mind found it to his liking
    the fairest maid of them all

Thus Louhi spoke in riddled tones
    of three things to accomplish
    to find and catch the wild moose
    to pursue the elk enchanted

To seek the fire-expiring stallion
    to bridle the flaming horse
    he took the mad reindeer captive
    he bridled the golden horse

And still remained the final test:
    from sacred stream of death
    to hunt the long necked graceful bird
    the wild white swan of coal-black river

Song 7: The Enemy (The voice of Lemminkäinen’s killer)
    Vile I am and loathsome, a wretched man of straw
    the lowliest of the low, unnoticed by them all
    a traitor I am, a coward I am
    and I will show you my revenge!

A mad dog of the night I am
    I grovel and I creep
    I kill and none shall ever know
    of snakes I shoot from my black heart

Ordained to be no one I am
    trodden below everyone
    crushed on the ground I am
    unnoticed by everyone

Evil I am and rotten, a wretched man of straw
    the lowliest of the low, unnoticed by them all
    a traitor I am, a coward I am
    and I will show you my revenge!

The man who comes to this river I now strike down
    his victorious road I now destroy
    to gloomy waters I cast him now
    by treason into endless enigma

I wait in stony soil, in the shadows, in hiding
    his hope I want to destroy
    His happiness I must restrain
    Now he draws near, I see his fire

A mind like that I once possessed
    my soul desired to shine
    such courage and hope I too possessed
    but they put out my fire

A snake I’m now, a rat I’m now
    I thrive on endless hate
    I revel on this pain
    a traitor I am, an avenger I am

I take my vengeance upon this man
    who deemed me feeble-minded
    who spared me in his ignorance
    Who thought I pose no threat

into his heart my serpent-arrow
    and stakes of bone through his lungs
    his flesh I’ll rip with sharpest iron
    and shoot down his burning spirit
    into the coal-black rapids with him
    into the death-jaws of Tuoni with him
    where none shall ever come back from
    where none shall return!

Song 8: The Death (Lemminkäinen’s voice)
    I set out on a longest road
    to seek answers from death itself
    I set out to the black sacred stream
    to seek out and shoot a white swan

Embraced by gloomy mists I was
    on those desolate and stony paths
    I descended from a mountain to a vale
    from day to night I went

I reached the shore and I bent down
    to hide among the shadows
    and there I saw it come toward
    to float into my view, the swan

I took the arrow and raised my bow
    I aimed below the graceful neck
    under the white of its’ breast
    inside the red of its’ heart

The calm surface of black river
    reflected the sky and a pale moon
    and there I caught a glimpse of myself
    before the vision shattered

An arrow hit me from the water
    a serpent ripped apart my mind
    the pain my sense destroyed
    the slash went through my heart

Now I fall into the black river
    into the jaws of death
    I dissolve into this stream
    and vanish in gory mire

My last sight a white swan
    behind the swan a starless sky
    under the sky a coal black river
    in river reflected a bone white moon

Someone slipped from a shadow to another
    someone crawled from a hideout to another
    someone disappeared on the road invisible
    someone ended into the endless

Song 9: The Sign (narrator’s voice)
    Far from here, a house forsaken on lands of yesterday
    the silence of the night has crept in
    as weeping of the women, as thoughts of solitude,
    as sadness and as grief

In a dimly-lit deserted room
    left on a table, a token, a talisman
    inherited from his father, a gilded hairbrush

Oozing from the shaft a stream of bitter sap
    dripping from the bristles a slow scarlet flow
    forming into a pool of blood, under the table

They know it to be an emblem of death, a sign of destruction
    they recognise the end of a friend, the woe of a man and son
    they look at the brush, remember the black hair,
    They weep the bitter sap.

Song 10: The Shaman
    Mother wept for her son, wept and sang
    wife longed for her husband
    anxiously pondered fate, his and her own
    mother began a wail of anguish

A suns’ ray, in through the eye
    glimmered in silent room of the mind
    changed the shape of old woman, sorrow gone from her face
    sought help from the shaman, turned herself into a shaman

Out of the chimney a witch flew out
    across the sky a shaman dived
    beyond her raced the woods and lakes, the roads of man
    till she came to rest on Northlands gates

”I have come for my son, where have you sent my son?
    I shall accept no lies, no falsehoods or deception
    or else I’ll send you plagues unnumbered,
    destruction upon you and your house
    your treasures I’ll annihilate, and slay your fairest daughter”

So startled by the shamans’ strenght the hostess of Northland
    told of the way, described the road,
    the path that leads to river black
    told of the task she set, impossible to complete
    and from the jaws of death there will be no return

Song 11: The Power Of Shaman
    Now mother filled with the spirit of shaman
    as wolf through marshes bounded
    as bear through wilderness she roamed
    as otter through waters glided

Along the sea-coast she sprang, a hare
    as ant she sought the lands
    a small perch in shallow waters
    and a great pike in the depths

She sought her lost one far and wide
    she asked the stones she asked the trees
    the forest trails and pathways
    she asked the creeks but no one knew

Song 12: The Union (Mother-shaman’s voice)
    A day’s light told me of my son’s fate
    The sun showed the way, grim and severe
    pulled under the raging waters, my child
    sank in the drowning currents, my son

My strenght is not enough, my powers fail me
    I need the help of heavens, I ask for thunder’s force
    I plead for you oh lightning, provide a tool of iron
    forge me a rake with magic, to drag the river for my son

Help me God of fire, bringer of light, forger of sun
    cast your wamth on cold river, put to sleep its’ guardian
    lull the folk of silent waters, drive away the serpents
    to the river now let me go, to go and fetch my son away

Forged for me the gods of skies a rake made of iron
    to my aid the sun was sent by the spirit of clear day
    now in my way no man can stand, nor cold troops of Tuoni
    and I shall walk untouched by the river of the night

Song 13: Restoration
    I knew my son was torn to shreds, dissolved into black waters
    to pieces hacked by blood-soaked men of silent river under ground
    I knew my son was mad to seek to shoot the swan of death
    but he is of my flesh and blood and he shares of my magic

So long I scoured the river black, so long I raked the waters
    at last to find the hero’s shoes, his stockings and his cloak
    I brought up his bloodied hat and jacket stained by death
    and finally the teeth of my rake caught hold of something more

Thus surfaced the fragments of my son, with only half a head
    an armless body torn and cut, with fingers missing and broken bones
    his flesh a feast for eels of death, his muscles lost in black pools
    the spark of his spirit suppressed by cold and gloomy depths

On leafless tree a raven sat and cast a doubtful eye
    upon my bitter weeping, spoke these words unto me
    ”there is no hero to restore, no son left to revive
    so cease your bitter efforts here and let your child be gone”

But I refused to give up hope, his measures I disregarded
    I raked the river deeper still and pulled up every fragment
    the remnants of his head and arms, the portions of his flesh
    the knots of veins and shreds of bones, his eyes and his black hair

And so I shaped my son anew, his flesh to bones I joined
    and knitted every vein together, and bound back every muscle
    his lifeless members and death-like tissue I carefully assembled
    until there on the river bank my son lay complete again

But still no breath escaped his lips, his mouth uttered no words
    although the blood pumped in his veins his eyes remained shut
    a birdling flew down from the sky, a buzzing tiny bee
    I asked of him for mead and honey, the balm of magic virtues

The bee flew out, far and wide, across the golden fields
    it crossed the seas and searched the lands, the rich gardens abloom
    and fetched me wondrous balsams from flowery meadows
    but no earthly nectar could restore my son to life

And so I sent the little bee to fly the way of shaman
    to pass the borders of the moon, through distant light of stars
    to soar swiftly on tiny wings to the seventh of the heavens
    to the castle of Creator, the dwellings of the blessed

There to find the balm of life prepared in kettles of gold
    there to cull the ointment from silver-tinted cauldrons
    and bring back the holy mead, the sweet and golden honey
    for me to anoint his eyelids with, and restore his injured senses

Wake my child, arise my son from depths of your slumber
    heed my words and incantation, feel my love and know my wisdom
    rise now from your dire misfortune, the lowest of conditions
    and thus his eyes blinked open and words poured out of his mouth:

”Long, indeed, I’ve lain here, forever slept and dreamed here
    of what I can remember of the moments before my death
    a serpent struck from water, an adder pierced my heart
    and on the shore, amongst shadows lurked an evil man
    my enemy, my traitor, my shadow, my destroyer

Song 14: Return From The River Of Tuonela (Lemminkäinen’s voice)
    Still searching for my way, the right way to be
    Still pondering what I’ve done
    Still thinking what I’ve said, still finding from within
    All that I know is still not enough

I’m being held by the one
    shadow tormenting my soul
    the gently curving neck of a swan
    the slowly turning head of a bird

So white it’s plumes and feathers
    its’ breast the moon reflected in water
    so silent and tranquil it moves
    across the calm surface of the river

I wander back on familiar roads
    I sense the marks I left on hills
    I see the cuts and wounds of my deeds
    I makes me muse on life

Up the hill, up the mountain
    looking back and looking down
    There flows the River of Death
    and here the wind in my hair.

11. Eurynome

Eurynome Kukkahattutäti

Kainulainen' Ilmarinen poems:

FORGER OF SKIES
    IRONHEART
    I am brother to the Fire, to Fire a brother I am
    from full breasts of maidens three
    I’ve drunk the black milk, black!
    the white milk devoured, white!
    the red milk I’ve swallowed, red!
    I’ve lain in the bowels of marshland
    dead beneath the soil, dead
    under the waters, below, under the waters
    oblivious to all, oblivious to everything
    devoid of all knowing, devoid of feeling!

Darkness was my light
    muteness my tongue
    Death was my life
    matter my spirit

Brother to Fire I am!
    Brother to the Fire!

MY BIRTH
    From trails of wolves, from paths of bruin
    from fen-depths and mountain winds
    raised into the light I was
    separated apart I was

I am of air and water, of fire and earth I am
    a compound of everything, separated apart
    the lore of air, the wisdom of water
    the awareness of fire, the memory of earth
    yet separated apart

Upon my birth I understood
    the alliance of spirit matter
    in spatters of liquid iron
    separated apart I was

In a dazzle like lightning
    I was invited there
    Where light curves in an arc
    of gods I was constructed

To north, south,east and west
    The air spirit of every quarter
    was my distant mother
    swelled from wind and sea

From chaos of matter discovered I was
    Born unto the essence of creation
    to red, black and white
    to milk, iron and steel

FORGER OF SKIES
    (The lights of chaos have transformed into a clear precise spark of my mind, the sounds disruptive into distant singing heard through

waters)
    I forge my wisdom into the arc, all encompassing
    I forge my heartbeat to dome, all heavens wide
    I forge and craft the horizons for flowing blood
    I forge the places precise for silver and for gold

Inside this nonexistence I clearly know
    the directions and points of every quarter
    I know the names of stars, the sun and the moon
    their movement and their purpose

In solitude I measure out the range of barren lands
    I mark the place of Polaris on the vast heights
    I draw unto the nothingness the intersecting curves
    I look at all directions, I look at one clear point, into the heart

Into the flames I thrust my heart and strike
    my heart awakes to its’ own pounding
    this here is my place, my work
    I was made the Forger of Skies!

I am the Forger of Skies!

BLACKSMITH
    Under the vault of heavens I stood
    alone in the darkness, waiting
    the blaze of silver in my eyes
    the gleam of gold in my hands

The red ore of iron in my veins
    the blue light of steel in my bones
    the coal black in my hair
    the waves golden in my chest

I harkened the place for the moon
    assured the sonorous tones
    made out the locus of stars
    I painted the route for the sun

I pierced the distant dome
    for the lights to seep through
    I checked the curves and borders
    and attached the highest star

I knew it was my masterwork
    I felt the strenght of gods
    revised the soaring heights
    and set the heavens aligned

It worked and sung and danced
    it shone and glowed and gleamed
    it circled, curved and blazed
    it kindled, waned and glimmered

It is my heaven
    it has my eyes
    it is my space
    It has my shape

It flowed from my bones
    it bolted from my fingertips
    it settled all over and unto me
    and forced me to face my longing.

MIRACLE
    Sparks sent flying, the space of my mind thundering
    the small room of my heart flashing under the sky
    The flaring of miasmic fumes fill my senses
    pervade this room and this space

I listen and aim to observe
    I use all the forces and let it transpire
    I confront the darkness absolute
    and blinding, dazzling brilliance

From roaring flames the shapes emerge
    come forth they do with vile charms
    Their poisoned core ensconced in beauty
    but I see and perceive their deceit

Into the blaze I shove them back
    to lose their forms to fire
    again and yet again
    I start my work anew

I let the days blend into nights
    I let the moon and sun unite
    the order of the stars expire
    I let it be born, the miracle

I let the night blend into sun
    I let the day and moon unite
    the order of the stars expire
    I let it be born, the miracle.

HEAVEN OF MY HEART
    I who have forged the heavens
    I too have my king

on his request, by his orders
    enforced by his spells

to Northland I was cast
    to distant land of Pohjola

Where my skills were known
    where they knew my name and might

I forged a godly device
    I opened the gates of plenty

from small crumbs of earth
    from fleece of summer ewe

from memory of a single seed
    from flair of a swans feather

I let the milk come seeping from
    the heaven of my heart

the heaven of my heart

REVERIES AND FORCES
    The constant needs of Man
    eternal desires of you all
    Your thirst and your hunger
    Your fears

You crave for your miracle
    You who subjected me
    look now into distant heights
    into the heavens, of my making
    I made it out of what wasn’t there
    of nothing to perfection
    I granted it my substance
    I granted it my essence

On the lid of my heart the designs I carved
    Of galaxies and crimson clouds
    The lore of gods and hopes of men
    In me combined both dreams and might

Wisdom cleaved a stone
    Knowledge kindled the flame
    Sense made iron melt
    Love made hope glow

I gave you your miracle
    The heart that pounds gold
    And the key that leads to
    riches of divine order

What is now my fate?
    What are you giving me?
    Redeem your promise,
    Pay off your debt!

Before you answer, raise your eyes
    There, the heavens, of my making
    Before you answer
    Raise your eyes!

PROMISE
    (Ilmarinen longs for the Daughter of Northland)

As slowly turns the key of time
    In padlock of promises broken

to wait I will retreat myself
    in black chambers of oblivion

In mute silence of my space
    I crouch under my yearning
    The works of gods receding now
    evade my grasping hands

Perfection of the skies I knew
    and memories of my deeds

Now fade away beyond my reach
    And change to lonely nights

Her hair I’d long to adorn
    With golden glowing stars
    Her brow I’d long to crown
    With tiny shining sun
    in silver I would trace
    the moonshine of her beauty

but ever so slowly
    Turns the key of time
    In a rusty lock
    Of broken promises

BETRAYAL
    I was not betrayed by Water, my gentle brother
    and not betrayed by brother Fire
    I was not betrayed by my essence nor my spirit
    I was betrayed by my own king

I took the heaven to be enough
    I trusted him like a brother

I was not betrayed by earth, my cradle
    And not betrayed by air my mother distant

I took my skill to be enough
    I trusted my knowledge and my will
    I was betrayed by my own king!

THE PIKE OF TUONELA
    GIFT
    To a strange land, to distant Pohjola
    I took the gift I received from gods
    melted the heavenly knowledge, skills of a master
    from pieces of my heart built a golden mill

A godlike machine I forged!

I, maker of heavens, created a horn of plenty
    released them, delivered them from evil
    gave them more than they knew to ask for
    it wasn’t enough for the gloomy Northland court

It wasn’t enough for the queen!

The field of Death I had to furrow
    To plow the soil black with viper blood
    the shadow of a beast in a forest below
    from Death to hunt a wolf and a bear

I fetched the gift of life from the river of death!

The Northland Queen, pledge unredeemed,
    The wage she offered was death
    A life for himself pursued my King
    Promised me as a ransom for his happiness

A heart turned unto me!

A heart turned unto me
    She whispered the knowledge of gods
    And gave the missing words of wisdom
    To me, a creator of heavens and miracles
    Her heart turned unto me.

FISH OF DEATH
    In the bowels of rocky mountain a fiery bird I forged
    forged from iron, from steel a flaming eagle
    On my eagle’s wings to Black River I flew, to the dale of the Dead Land
    From reeking mud, from stream grinding flesh and bone
    I found the black pike, a giant, a monster

From jaws of the pike, from gory rapids of the dead
    My furious griffin rescued its’ master
    Brought to bright light the guts, skin, flesh and bones
    Carried under the sun, to the top of an stout oak
    split with its beak the monsters’ belly, ripped the head clean off

The eagle rushed sky high, gliding the steepest heights
    the sky sparkled and writhed, the vault of heaven creaked and mewed
    higher and higher still soared my flaming griffin
    with a thunder crash and rumble, I rolled the pike’s head in
    As a throne for the queen a bony skull of the dead fish

I had made the heavens, forged out a miracle
    the snake infested field of Death’s Domain turned over
    slayed the wolf of shadowlands, shackled the bear of Death
    Impossibly captured the impossible prey, the pike from Tuonela river
    I’ve done my share, redeem your promise!

WIFE FROM NORTHLAND
    I got a maid from Northland
    A wife from lands strange
    The works of gods at last replaced
    By days and nights of men

She wakes beside me in the mornings
    She walks by me in times of spring
    She stares at our sky in the evenings
    She lives our lives come autumn time

She sleeps the nights beside me
    She works the days by my side
    She is with me when snowflakes fall
    She stays near as summer blooms

Her hair I adorn with stars
    and forge a small sun on her brow
    I put a pendant on her neck
    and forge a small moon on her breast

She wakes beside me every spring
    She wakes beside me every summer
    She wakes beside me every winter
    She wakes beside me every morning

THE SUN LEFT HER BROW
    MY WIFE
    Sun left her brow
    Moon escaped her breast
    Stars fell from her hair

Song departed her lips
    spark died in her eyes
    Her warmth waned away

Her blood grew thicker
    Her skin turned colder
    Unto the ground fell the heart
    My wife beloved!
    My wife beloved!
    My wife beloved!

Unto the ground the heart
    Her form fell into shadows
    her shape dissolved to dust

Unto the ground the heart fell!

VENOM
    In the beginning of times
    In the chaos of destiny
    In the arcane stream of meanings

Roar of the battle to sounds of work I sanctified
    cries of terror to a song I harmonised
    spirits of wrath with charms I restrained

And now dead is my wife
    Ripped apart by iron teeth
    Slashed by claws of steel

Poisoned by the bane of riches
    Betrayed by lies manifold
    Slayed by a wretched avenger

In the beginning of times, in the birth of all matter
    The venom spat on the boiling mass
    Now surfaced again and turned the course of fate

UNDER THE STARRY SKY
    From nights’ misty dreams
    I sought the clarity of my days
    From empty shades of longing
    I looked for the familiar glow

The death of my wife’s slayer
    Brought no comfort for me
    The sore ache of loneliness
    bestowed no shape for a dream

within my heart I lit a flame of desires
    provoked the fiery powers of my will
    I forced the silvery shape to come forth
    A golden queen for myself I forged

I made myself a spouse of gold
    I forged a silver bride
    From light of northern summer night
    From shining winter moon

I made our bed under the stars
    With covers aplenty and bear skin hides
    I stroked the arc of golden curves
    I kissed the lips of silver

Responded not my golden girl
    No beating heart I felt
    No sighs gave the silver soul
    No warmth her sides of metal

SOLITUDE
    I wandered on shores of stormy seas
    On barren snowy lands I walked
    I brought the golden girl to my king
    And offered a bitter boon for my chief
    My lifeless oddity he refused
    Bowed not to my gift of gold

I journeyed on to the Northern Lands
    Returned to the stony yard
    I asked from the queen for her younger daughter
    Covetted my dead wife’s sister
    No comfort gave my prize most grim
    The heartless redeemed not the heart

With empty hands I thus returned
    To homelands, low in mind
    Recalling the Northlands splendour
    Recalling the miracle I forged
    Recalling golden lid of plenty
    Recalling the woman deceased

SWORD AND SKY
    Sun ceased from my world
    Moon went from my sky
    Starlight dimmed away

In a bleak shack of sorrow
    In forsaken shed of grief
    in solitudes’ bitter palace

I listened to my hearts’ silent beating
    The faint rush of my blood
    The distant echo of space

Something moved in the emptiness
    something in darkness drew near
    Something touched the heart

The sky stirred above me
    Beneath my feet earth breathed
    The lights of space now flared

Someone whispered the words in my ear
    Someone dictated my future deeds
    Someone advised me to take what’s mine

From steel I made the master’s sword
    Cleaving stone, cliff, a mountain
    From darkness I stepped onto the path of stars

This sky is mine! (This is my sky!)
    This sword is mine! (This is my sword!)
    This fate is mine! (This is my fate!)
    This miracle, mine! (This is my miracle!)

12. Eurynome

Eurynome Kukkahattutäti

...and Väinämöinen:

THE BEGINNING OF TIME

I have a wish to sing now
    Of time before the beginning
    when nothing was all there was
    but how to sing of nothing?

So I sing of the beginning
    the birth of all creation
    the borders of nothingness
    the substance of inception

The solitude of space my mother
    my father salt of the sea
    infinity had no end
    time had no beginning

Still unborn I remained
    still unopened the narrow gate
    still unborn in my hiding place
    still no release bestowed upon me

Wrapped around my darkness
    I knew my time was waiting
    I felt the days pass by, and nights,
    and the way of the northern stars

The songs were born into my mind
    the knowledge of the stars
    the stories before and after
    the spells of war, and peace

The birth of the world was my birth too
    I found the land, began the time
    from shorelessness of sea
    from underneath the space

SOOTHSAYER

I rose, and in doing so
    raised others with me
    I shared my ancient wisdom
    and taught the ways to be

I sang the charms of stars
    and sowed the land with strenght
    I set the abodes for men
    and steered the rightful roads

Within my being sings the god on high
    the glimmer of stars in my bloodstream
    I am the abyss, I am the bridge
    I am the heaven, I am the land

I feel the communion
    of the largest and the least
    the way from death to life
    the path of stone and gold

I live on wings of eagle
    I know the secrets of seas
    my forms countless, a mole or a frog
    the fish in a tiny pond

I’ve been here from the beginning
    the echoes and tones I recognise
    the eternal poems of nonexistence
    the birthwords of time’s beginning

I’ve been here from the beginning!

LEADER’S MIGHT

He holds a sword in his hand
    it’s might the flare of sun
    to cleave a stone in two
    to take down a mountain

He holds a feather in his hand
    it’s lightness a heavenly force
    he wields the power to transform
    the whole world with its’ brush

brains aglow with scenes of death
    bones carved with words of life
    beneath the footsteps a circle of stars
    arms both heavy and light

He holds a sword in his hand
    it’s might the flare of sun
    to cleave a stone in two
    to take down a mountain

He holds a feather in his hand
    it’s lightness a heavenly force
    he wields the power to transform
    the whole world with its’ brush

PIKE

A red pike of blue waters I am
    a lifesong resonates in me, my bones ashiver with magic and lore

a wolf of the waters I am, a shooting arrow of solitude
    my eye a golden ring to marry the dead with soon to born

a lightning I am, a spear afloat in water
    setting sun in a beat of my heart, rising the moon of my eye

come to me, take your star
    leave with me, born into your world

capture me, take my flesh
    take my head, my lore and my skills

a lifesong resonates in me
    my bones ashiver with magic and lore!

EAGLE

An eagle I am
    sweeping and soaring
    the sun above my wings
    the land of men beneath me

My path is paved on wind
    a star sets my course
    my mind is my sky
    my body the soul of land

An eagle I am
    sweeping and soaring
    the sun above my wings
    the land of men beneath me

THREE WORDS

But for want of three words
    three words for my magic song
    a boat for love I´d carve
    a craft of life I’d build

from all the four corners
    from heights beyond the skies
    from in between the golden stars
    from dead lands down below

I seek the magic for my spell
    the power for my charm
    for want of three words
    three words for my (magic) song

Along the Tuoni pathway
    to gloomy silent shore
    across the lands of dead
    to find the missing charm

Death’s maiden showed the way to
    Death’s grim abode where
    Death’s daughter offered me
    Death’s drink to have

But for want of three words
    three words for my magic song
    a boat for love I´d carve
    a craft of life I’d build

Ainotheme:
    YOU I NEED

I was born as the world was born
    as tones and words of the primeval song
    I need no bow nor swords
    my kingship is known to gods

Above the sea of my loneliness
    I need to have my sky
    to go with my story
    I need to have your words

I need you to be the guide
    the mirror to sky and sea
    to portray all above and below
    the gate of life and death

And a king has his moon
    like a queen has her sun
    to make the song go on
    the song of creator of gods

I need you to be the guide
    the mirror to sky and sea
    to portray all above and below
    the gate of life and death

Ainotheme:
    THE MERMAID

From the blue waters of mermaids
    I caught a fish that was no fish
    no trout, no salmon, man nor woman

I drew my knife to gut my catch
    but off it took, back to the lake
    vanished into the waves

to rise again, a long way off, a trout turned into a maid
    she showed herself, all glittering, and spoke unto me then
    woe to you for never knowing me

She was my maid, my wife-to-be
    returned to me one final time
    and I did not know her, but made her flee

beneath the waves, and marbled rocks
    the crevices of blackest depths
    disappeared my dream, swam away my hope

not wanting to become mine anymore, to give herself to me
    like she had wanted to, like she had promised
    but I did not know her, I knew her not

Ainotheme:
    ON A STRANDED SHORE

Silk of blue
    woven by the moon
    spun by the sun
    threads of gold

silver in wrists, and rings
    hair braided in red
    fabrics iridescent
    shoes featherlight

as reeds and straws on a shore
    as sallows, sprigs and twigs
    as bark and as foliage
    as clamshells and as sand

My maidens’ flesh now fish in lake
    her blood now waters blue
    her ribs now willows on a shore
    her hair grass on waters’ edge

o god of sleep
    tell in my dream
    where has my maiden gone
    where lies my mermaid now

rise above the waves
    from waters’ dark grave
    under the liver coloured stones
    become a maid again

These shores are not for fishing
    these waters not for drinking
    no sun beheld above these shores
    no moon reflected on waters here

REFORMATION

When I am broken, when I depart
    when my eyes stray from yours
    when I no longer know you, my love
    when I am broken, when I depart

When from my head my mane is torn
    when my hair is blowing in solar wind
    when into my eyes glowing nails are driven
    when heavy boots march across my chest

When I am broken, when I depart
    when my eyes stray from yours
    when I no longer know you, my love
    when I am broken, when I depart

Fear you not, weep not for me
    for finally I am released
    to go to the heaven of all earths
    to the heaven of all earths

ESCAPE
    (Väinämöinen seeks wisdom from Manala)

Death bestows no wisdom
    no might from death endowed
    there is no return thence
    no way to go back home

Therein lie nets of iron
    and seines of copper made
    with drinks that lull to sleep
    of everlasting shackles

Death bestows no wisdom
    no might from death endowed
    there is no return thence
    no way to go back home

But I transformed my shape
    and took the form of a snake
    I swam through the nets
    and wriggled back to life

I did transform my shape
    I did return back to life
    transformed my shape
    back to life

Swampsong, Väinämöinen encounters Joukahainen
    MY ENEMY

He set out to take my life
    and the power of my soul
    his spells against my might
    my wrath he did ignite

The lightning of my eyes crushes you to dust
    the snakes of my fingers drag you into mire
    vanishing under you the trembling earth
    your legs turning to sludge

your brain replaced by mine
    your mind changed into mine
    you lose sight of yourself
    your world no longer yours

I feel your feelings now
    I know now what you knew
    I see how you have lied
    plunge you into your grave

Under the ground I force you
    to Underworld I curse you
    to arms of death deliver
    and damn inside a rock

where remorse is useless
    and no mercy shown
    where bribery is futile
    and no promises hold

no one there will listen
    no one feels your pain
    no one turns towards you
    no one takes your hand

and now I will sink you
    and drown you in a swamp
    and sing the song of dying
    and vanguish my foe

He set out to take my life
    and the power of my soul
    his spells against my might
    my wrath he did ignite

but I will show him mercy
    let him return to life
    I’ll show him mercy
    I’ll let him return

Pohjolatheme
    THE BATTLE FOR LIGHT

She robbed the moon from the sky
    derailed the sun off its’ course
    enchained the light inside her mountain
    and stole the wisdom away

The sun no longer shines on us no silver moon reflects
    the stars no longer twinkle light to help us find our path

I’m thrown on barren wastelands
    In feverish swamps I’m lost
    I stagger through white-rimed lands
    I drown in diseased black mire

I fight the forces of dark and cold
    upon the witches cast my spells
    I strike with a sword and touch with a feather
    and sing my song into the night

Beyond the highest heaven
    the god supreme smites with his sword
    into the sea falls fiery star
    a fish of deep swallows the spark

The Skyforger, come to my aid
    the Magicsmith, by my side
    the eldest daughter of creation
    the tiny man from the sea

Still stays the moon in hiding the sun behind the dark
    the spark inside the fish the light inside the mountain

Ilmatar the ancient, the mighty ocean-dwarf
    Ilmarinen the skyforger, thunder and lightning

We find the hidden moon release the mountain-bound
    we light the wisdom of the heart, the sun dawns anew

Pohjolatheme
    A CRACK IN THE STONE

In Pohjola, a prisoner of darkness
    in black court, a victim of sleep
    slither like a snake I tried
    a mole under the soil

a king in a strange land
    a slave of the black queen
    under the dark magic
    bound by an unknown spell

an otter lost in muddy waters
    an elk upon strange trail
    a prisoner in black court
    a victim of sleep in lands of dark

just the one crack in the stone
    just the one fracture in the wall
    just the one hole in the sky
    just the one key in the lock

one path known
    one sign in a dream
    one direction in time
    one star in mind

I needed the help of Skyforger
    to forge the machine divine
    to the black queen of Pohjola

HEART’S SONG

He’s not a god
    I’m not a god
    a man he’s not
    I’m not a man

I am the cloud spirit
    a singing of the rapids
    a stillness within a great river
    a whirl in a golden stream

He is a cloud of white
    a rainbow on the rapids
    the blackness of silent waters
    the spirit of the man

I lead my people
    I am the song of my tribe
    I am the wisdom and the skills
    a sword turned into poem

I am the oaken sage
    the bone-hurling one
    the straw-haired warrior
    the boulder on riverbank

the running of blue elk I am
    the embrace of red bear
    the eye of golden eagle
    the song in the heart of the Man

RETURN I SHALL

I’ve been here before
    when the rapids roared louder
    and the brooks spoke aloud
    with words of lies and truth

I’ve been here before
    when the sea waved wider
    the lakes echoed with voices
    and words of lies and truth

I’ve been here before
    when the sky curved fairer
    the clouds were filled with talking
    of words of lies and truth

I’ve been here before
    and surely I’ll return
    I’ve been here before
    and return I shall!

THE SONG OF THE SAGE

No man nor a god, with a sword he carved,
    with a feather he conjured of bone of fish and instrument
    of jaws of pike a kantele
    sat on a golden rock, on a bank of a golden river
    by the brink of golden rapids, under the golden sun

fingers plucked a chord, tolled the teeth of a pike
    lit up the colours of rainbow, above the silent waters

came forth the woodland creatures, the spirits great and small
    the Master and the Mistress of Tapiola, and all of forest folk

the birds flew to the singer
    the wildfowl from the sea
    the swans from distant fens
    an eagle from heavens high

behind a cloud of blue, the moon wove strands of silver
    on the edge of cloud of red, the day gilded the cloth

the small fish in the shallows, the big ones under the surface
    the king of waters, on the waves, the queen on an open sea

people, animals, spirits, sons and daughters of men
    all ceased their play, all stopped their work

each one comprehended, each one understood
    each one shed a tear, each one cried and wept
    each and every tear, the tears of everyone
    all joined to flow together into the silent waters

the golden stream of life carried the tears to sea
    to oceans’ deep keeps the pearls were concealed.

13. Brell

Brell Member

Eurynome!! You're fucking awesome!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Eurynome and papajohnny like this.
  14. Summer Ewe

15. Eurynome

Eurynome Kukkahattutäti

My pleasure! :)

16. requiem

Yesterday I got the Oxford Worlds Classics Kalevala in the mail. Can't believe it took me this long to get it. I think it must be the translation that is used for Tales from the Thousand Lakes because its word for word in many parts. Also amazing to see sections on a range of events I only know though other Amorphis albums. Haunting! The chapter names are 30% Amorphis song titles!

Brell likes this.
  17. Summer Ewe

Awesome! That must be a treasure to have. :)

18. requiem

It's interesting to note that the lyrics to 'Magic and Mayhem' are not found in the Magic and Mayhem chapter of the Kalevala, they're actually in the Into Hiding chapter. I wonder why Amorphis did that?

19. requiem

Also Ahti from the Ensiferum song is a major character in the Kalevala. I'm going to have to pay more attention to that song now!