This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Amorphis Gigs

Discussion in 'Amorphis (Unofficial)' started by Eurynome, Dec 8, 2012.

1. tuonelan

tuonelan Mostly Harmless

They'll come here when they get offers from clubs that make it worthwhile to do the tour. That hasn't been the case for a while.

They could set up a Kickstarter/GoFundMe account that would help cover the risk of the tour the way that Ne Obliviscaris has, but really it's a matter of opportunity costs as much as expense. The European market is better to the band and likely will always be so.

That said, you know that if Amo does tour the US again I'm in for tickets and merch no matter what.

2. only4theweak187

So many European metal bands draw well in the states. Dark tranquility and the like. Bands like them definitely have an equal or even less following than Amorphis does. Guaranteed.

It's not like clubs here would think Amorphis wouldn't sell tickets...

So what is the issue?

3. tuonelan

tuonelan Mostly Harmless

From a couple past discussions of this topic on the forum:

4. only4theweak187

Plenty of fair points.

Which is why they should tour major cities like I said and see how it goes.

Forget(forgive me) the middle of the country fly-over states where people would have to travel hours across flat farmlands to make it to a venue.

I'm talking NYC, LA/San Diego, Orlando/Miami, Atlanta, *maybe Texas, Seattle, Chicago etc etc. Bigger cities like these.

Literally just like, 10-12 major cities where there's the biggest chance for a worthwhile turnout. Forget an extensive tour... Not even a chance at this point

5. tuonelan

tuonelan Mostly Harmless

Yes, but those big cities are too far apart to do it all by bus and it costs far too much to fly with all the equipment. The US is a huge country. That's why smaller bands often do just a NE states tour to keep the travel manageable (like Sólstafir did the first time they came, or like Agalloch did on West Coast). Otherwise you have the big venues split on two coasts with Chicago in the middle.

Seriously. I was embarrassed for them during the Silent Waters tour. The crowd in LA was a third the size of the one that showed up for Finntroll and Ensiferum. It boggles the mind, but it's true. Awesome show with a good lineup, but somehow it just didn't click with the concertgoers at that time. In my mind they should be able to pull like Opeth, In Flames, and Amon Amarth, or at the very least like Enslaved. Guess the hipsters didn't find them trendy enough or something.

But have patience. I'm sure they will come back to the US at some point. They just won't make a habit of it unless something happens (like a film soundtrack or a successful co-headlining tour with the right band) to make them a bigger name in the US.

6. only4theweak187

Again, good points.

One does forget how large USA is.

The co-headlining tour is probably their best bet at this point. But with whom??

7. tuonelan

tuonelan Mostly Harmless

Label mates with decent pull in the US they could tour with who would get them a bigger crowd: Children of Bodom, Meshuggah, Opeth
    Label mates of roughly same pull and history to split tour: Enslaved, Paradise Lost

Other good fits: Amon Amarth, Finntroll, In Flames, Ensiferum, Ghost, maybe Lacuna Coil or Arch Enemy or Kreator

My bet for tour mates for 2017 (if it were to happen [in February]) - Borknagar, Omnium Gatherum

[ETA] ...or Insomnium. They have a new album out to support around then as well.

#387 tuonelan, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  8. tuonelan

tuonelan Mostly Harmless

It's coming, North America...

Brell likes this.
  9. tuonelan

tuonelan Mostly Harmless

No official announcement yet, but North American tour details are starting to show up online. Starts in early March and runs until mid-April. Support from Swallow the Sun. Lots of smaller markets and a bunch of dates in Canada.

We'll be going to one show for sure and are debating a second.

Drag all your friends to a show (or two). Pack the show if you are in a small market. Make it worth the band's time to return to North America on a more regular basis.

only4theweak187 likes this.
  10. only4theweak187

Yeah someone I follow told me about a NYC date and which venue in March. Can't wait.

How hilariously random is that??

Myself, a close friend who likes them and hopefully my brother and a friend of his to start.

Doing my best hahaha

Deff going to travel to at least one other show in an adjacent state as well!

11. Eurynome

Eurynome Kukkahattutäti

tuonelan likes this.
  12. tuonelan

tuonelan Mostly Harmless

That's where I was getting my info as well. Went through them to get tickets to Nightwish/Amorphis show in 2010. They were teasing Amorphis in their newsletter for a while, but I was not about to say anything until I saw something more official.

13. only4theweak187

Now they're gonna play a show closer 15 minutes from me... Not a headlining show but they and their opener Swallow the Sun are supporting Overkill.

I think it's like a week before the NYC Amorphis headlining show I'm going to as well. Gonna be great

14. tuonelan

tuonelan Mostly Harmless

Congrats. Grab all the Amo you can.

15. tuonelan

tuonelan Mostly Harmless

Just got tickets to the Amorphis/Swallow the Sun show in Anaheim. I have only half a year to decide what shirt to wear to the show. This could be a challenge.

only4theweak187 and Eurynome like this.
  16. Nokkakolari

Nokkakolari Member

Damn... I just realized though I ruined myself at the Amo merch in April I didn't buy any tshirts. o_O

17. Eurynome

Eurynome Kukkahattutäti

Hmmm, I think we can do something about that next week... ;)

18. Summer Ewe

Summer Ewe Wandering Tree Hugger

Gah, I'm really jealous of you all! They're coming to The Netherlands as well, but we can't possibly afford it, hopefully we can make it next time. It only took us one show to get hooked, their gig in Amsterdam last year was what made us instant fans. :)

I hope you guys all have a great time (not that there's any doubt about that!), and be sure to take lots of pictures! :headbang:

19. Brell

Brell Member

You have no idea how pumped I am for this!! I've never been able to make any of the previous US tours! I already have my tickets for Cudahy WI, and Chicago IL. Bought VIP Meet & Greet tickets for the Chicago show!!

20. tuonelan

tuonelan Mostly Harmless

It will be great. The guys are total pros and put on a good set even if the crowd is small and lame.

My first post on the old forum (at amorphis.net) was after the L.A. show in 2008. Rough show, given that Samael had their drum machine fail during the second song and had a 45 minute delay while they tried to get a replacement working (and ended up with a really short set). Amo went on an hour later than they should have and by that time a chunk of the crowd had already left in frustration. They had to shorten their set as well because they couldn't play music past midnight at the venue (L.A. House of Blues...now gone). It was still an awesome show.

I of Crimson Blood
    The Smoke
    Against Widows
    Into Hiding
    Divinity
    Silent Waters
    Towards and Against
    Leaves Scar
    Sign from the North Side
    On Rich and Poor
    Alone
    The Castaway