This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anathema: I'm thrilled beyond words...

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Harvester, Sep 18, 2014.

1. TwizstedJesus

TwizstedJesus Member

Glenn, because you are you I bought the 2 most recent Anathema cd's even though I haven't gotten into them in the past. I am going to let them play fully through at least a couple of times and see if it invades my soul in any way shape or form. I still regret not going to the fest the 2 years that Therion headlined. The lineups were great besides Therion, for me at least, and those are regrets I can't forget. It won't happen again, that's for sure.

2. testofwills

testofwills Member

3. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Weather Systems is a masterpiece and a desert island disc for me. It's all about the love for my wife with that one along with "We're Here Because We're Here."

[​IMG]

Honestly, the Universal Blu-Ray has converted more people than the records. It is one of the best of all time.

4. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Yep, this thread is forcing me to open a bottle of our best red and watch Universal tonight.

5. Everonn

Everonn Member

I don't have the Universal BD yet... I'm waiting on Amazon to bring it here. But you've inspired me... I think I'll have to enjoy a spot of sherry while taking in a sunset viewing of Wrecking Everything - An Evening in Asbury Park

- Chris

6. Havermout

Havermout Focused

i hear what you're saying Glenn.

Many years ago René booked them as headliner on the final day of PP, not knowing them...really tired after a few days on my feet and a few beers :lol: i almost fell asleep during their set......it was until 2012 when Weather Systems was released, they hooked me. Distant Satellites is the most played album by far this year for me :headbang:

H.

7. steeltormentor

Had the same idea. :)[​IMG]

8. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Ready to hear your thoughts on it.

9. SeaStorm

SeaStorm Member

At the risk of embarrassing myself, I have to admit that this was the first time I had never heard of an announced headliner.

I dig the Untouchable video and this actually seems like something my non-metal wife would enjoy, so Weather Systems has been ordered. Here's hoping that I like them as much as everyone else in this thread does!

10. steeltormentor

90 minutes in and I already love it. Beautiful and haunting. Not metal at all and I couldn't give less of a shit. Will there be strings next year?

11. Formerly known as Chris F5

I need to get this blu ray for when I hang out with one f my "situations" in punta cana next weekend(being eastern European she would love this band as these chicks are a bit more openminded and also tend to like music like this)

And for the record this song is all me,it has become me this year since June,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l71FT5UClzo

12. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

I got it a month or so ago, and it's still unwrapped. Sounds like a great way to top off the evening... maybe after my wife falls asleep on the couch. :heh:

13. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

I almost made a awesome dirty joke, but I decided to not defame this thread.

I will say that I'm contemplating getting this DVD this year though.

14. MelbCro

MelbCro Member

Those types of bands like Anathema, Wolverine, Katatonia, the Gathering etc, I don't find that music to be depressive. In their melancholy there is a hell of a lot of beauty and hope to be found, which is why fans find it so emotionally powerful.

15. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

It's like anything else in life; it's all about perspective. And it's that perspective which shapes the way you're impacted by music. As I said, I can appreciate the talents of a band like Wolverine and Anathema. It just creates an atmosphere that I don't respond well to. That said, I'm going to give them a few more opportunities between now and next year's festival to win me over.

16. Smc316

Smc316 Resident

God, I hope so.

And Anneke as well! And if she's coming anyway, let her solo band headline Wednesday. ;) THEN after Progpower, she can join Heavy Devy for a US/Canada tour.

One can dream, right?

17. Taliwakker

Taliwakker .....

I keep reading everywhere that Weather Systems has people in tears....i've listened to it a hundred times and not a solitarty tear lol...whats wrong with me?

18. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexithymia

19. Formerly known as Chris F5

If I were capable of emotions like that (after what I have been through) Weather Systems and Distant Sattelites would have me in the fetal position..
    The title track for Distant Sattelites gets me damn close though(and the last song)

20. labarum

labarum Cotton Candy Collector

I'm with Seastorm...
    I had heard of Anathema, but never gave them a try before.
    After building the playlist and playing through it, they are definitely the first band I've been drawn to. Weather systems is so far my favorite.

I love how a lot of their songs just build and build and then at the rear 2/3 of each song you are just so ready for the raw musical emotion that is delivered. It's addicting.

I will say that if you don't like it at first, put it right up against some falconer or helker or something else from this year that is powery. It will show you a lot more depth to the sound.

Also, don't go back too far in the discography...there be dragons. As others have said, stick with CDs after Alternative 4.