This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anders Friden (In Flames) speaks about Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)

Discussion in 'Iced Earth' started by metal17, Mar 18, 2004.

1. metal17

metal17 Member

Anders Friden on Jon Schaffer
    "IN FLAMES vocalist Anders Fridén has slammed ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer over comments Schaffer made during ICED EARTH's 2002 North American tour, which featured IN FLAMES in the support slot.

"I have fucking little love for a certain guy in that band," Anders Fridén told Sweden's premiere rock/metal magazine Close-Up for its March issue (view cover here), referring to Shaffer. "I'm not the kind of person who talks shit about people — but this isn't bullshit, for that matter — [or the kind of person to] expose someone [in the press]. We supported ICED EARTH in the U.S. and did amazing well. We got a really great response and [Jon] — the rest of the band were cool — was upset, I guess. It ended with him calling us 'spoiled European pussies,' saying that I was a fucking rock star and a lot of other things. I'm fucking far from being a rock star, so I didn't feel guilty, but it was weird how he could make us out to be 'spoiled European pussies.' There were lot of complaints [from Jon], and our part of the stage was getting smaller and smaller, even though we'd sold out some of the venues before on our own. I could barely stand by the mic stand, that's how tight it was between the drum set and me. Then [I had issues with some of] his statements, which are [very] pro-America, to say the least. He talked shit about Swedes and Europeans in front of us and the other support act JAG PANZER, whose drummer [Rikard Stjernquist] is of Swedish descent. The drummer said 'What are you saying? I'm half Swedish,' to which [Jon] responded, 'Yeah, but you've lived in America for a long time, so we're not talking about you.' I've gotten along with everyone we've toured with, and I didn't think it was [that bad], even though we had differences of opinion, but [Jon] is the only person on this planet that I can't stand." "

Years ago, I was a real big Iced Earth fan and admired Schaffer's strength and leadership. After the last 2 weak albums, his raging ego, his growing pro-america stance (he's a friggin' moron in some aspects), he is just a conceited asshole. Iced Earth DID NOT sell out the NY IE/Bodom/Evergrey show, with them getting all the credit. I believe the reason for that is because Children of Bodom is on the tour.

2. Iced Dog

Iced Dog The Stormrider's Pooch

3. AsModEe

AsModEe also known as ass-mode

I do... Schaffer is a moron

4. ~metal_maiden~

I said if before and I'll say it again... Schaffer better watch his mouth when he comes to Canada and he better not mess with Bodom! :mad:

I understand Yngwie being cocky but not Schaffer, not one bit!

5. anonymousnick2001

anonymousnick2001 World's Greatest Vocalist

6. Iced In Flames

Iced In Flames Shredderite

Check the In Flames forum for my thoughts. They are quite like anonymous'....

7. \m/

\m/ I Die Slowly

Like Iced Dog said "Who gives a fuck" I like both bands. Jon can worry about the civil war whille Anders can worry about mimicking (sp?) that fat dude from Korn. I just listen to the music.

8. Rottuated

Rottuated Live Free Or Die

I doubt Jon just went out and slammed Anders and his nationality on tour for no reason. He had to have been provoked in some way...

Plus, Anders shouldn't be the one shit talking, since In Flames turned nu-metal.

9. Iced In Flames

In Flames are far from Nu-Metal.

10. sinerchris

sinerchris Everythin is never enough

far from numetal?
    Soundtrack to Your Escape? That sounds very numetal.
    I myself have "escaped" ever since R2R came out. What a piece of crap.

11. Iced In Flames

No way. That album fuckin jams! so they have some electronic shit on there. That makes em nu-metal? The guitar work is pretty goddamn good too. Beats the shit out of the Glorious Burden really.

12. TheFourthHorseman

TheFourthHorseman In The Twilight World

Friden does sound reminiscent of Jonathan Davis these days. :) His growl has gotten so bad...
    In a way I value In Flames' new direction more than Iced Earth's inability to produce stuff that actually sounds different. Nevertheless, IE's music has suited my taste much better. The Glorious Burden, despite being a rehash of the previous 4 albums, is and will always be better than Soundtrack To Your Escape.

Rottuated, what does In Flames' music have to do with Friden stating that Schaffer is an asshole? Funny how people can say such stupid things.

13. Iced In Flames

Right Now, and My Sweet Shadow sounds nothing alike ;)

14. TheFourthHorseman

TheFourthHorseman In The Twilight World

15. anonymousnick2001

anonymousnick2001 World's Greatest Vocalist

16. Psychonaut

Psychonaut God Of Emptiness

I agree with whoever said Jon was provoked. I just can't see him slamming the countries of supporting bands for no reason at all. That would be quite dickheaded.

17. Rottuated

Rottuated Live Free Or Die

Read Blabbermouth.net for Mark's thoughts on the matter and what happened. Apparently, Anders came to Jon with an attitude and was bitching, so Jon told him to take a hike.

18. Psychonaut

Psychonaut God Of Emptiness

That makes more sense. Anders was probably not happy with the stage situation. Funny how I haven't read anything from Jon about what happened...

19. -Rivfader-

-Rivfader- Klingons on Uranus

Thats what I have been trying to tell everybody but they just seem to not believe me.

Anyway keep drinking beer and dont give a flying fuck as Alexi Laiho would say.

20. Iced In Flames

I dont blame Anders for bein a bit pissed honestly. If the stage situation was bad then he had all rights to take it to Jon. I dont know if being pissed off at the time helped or not. Would it be that hard for Yngwie to let In Flames have a bit more room?

Horseman, care to clarify?