This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Animals as Leaders - The Joy of Motion

Discussion in 'Bar' started by Mm1066, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Mm1066

Mm1066 Mediocre metal maker

Anybody picked it up yet? Thoughts? Mixed by Nolly.

Don't know why there hasn't been a thread on it yet to be honest...

2. Clockwork

Clockwork Bass playing guy.

It's pretty good, I like the song writing better than the last album. Not sure how I feel about the mix.

3. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I think it's great and I think it sounds great too. Nolly did a killer job of maintaining their signature sound while addresses all of the issues that plagued the first two IMHO. Also, I think the writing is much improved from the second record.

4. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

BTW, the CD is only $8 at amazon with free MP3's if anyone cares (that's where I picked it up).

5. Christian WUFU

Agreed with Egan. I still think I prefer the song writing on the first album, but this is a much more mature sounding album, no doubt. Leaps and bounds better than the second.
    Cool to see that Nolly mixed it too. I had no clue he was involved

6. Deadstar

Deadstar Member

I think he recorded the bass guitar too in some of the tracks

7. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Adam produced/mixed and played bass on the 4 tracks with real bass; the others were Trilian mostly due to time/logistics concerns. Drums were tracked at Swinghouse Studios in LA and are like 90% natural. It's also worth mentioning that the record was mixed on a laptop on the road, more or less.

I love it, musically and aurally.

8. Nolly

Nolly Member

Thanks so much guys, glad you're enjoying it somewhat. It was a really great project to be involved in, I'm happy it's finally out for people to hear :)

9. Mago

Mago Austrian Blech Machine

listened to some songs sumerian put on YT

Sounds great, both composition and production! Drums sound really really awesome...especially the snare.
    This might be the first AAL album I'm gonna consider getting...production on the other 2 made it impossible for me to get into it...altho the 2nd one was a bit better.

killer work nolly!

10. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

I didn't know it landed! Doh. Gonna fire up Spotify and give it a rinse. Will buy it if I like it, which judging by the first track, yes...!

11. sander

sander Member

I'm not digging the mix at all. The last one sounded phenomenal, this one just meh.

12. Manicompression

Manicompression doing it for the kids

I think I still like the actual material on the 1st disc the best, but as many have already said the sound was kind of awful. The second one was pretty killer aesthetically but had little replay value for me. Just judging on the three tracks I've jammed off youtube, this sounds like a winner. The production is actually easy to listen to, songs are great, a little more atmospheric than the last one but it totally works. Will definitely be purchasing.

13. Sweetnothing

Sweetnothing ¯\(º_o)/¯

Digging the mix a lot more than the other 2 records. I also love the less AAL sounding track (another year) writing and sonic wise.

Really good job nolly!

14. Manicompression

Manicompression doing it for the kids

So I picked this up a month or so back and I cant stop jamming it. Ive officially crossed over to thinking this is the best record they have done. The production is perfect and the songs are really memorable. There are atleast 3 or 4 moments on the disc where I cant help but laugh every time I listen because its so insanely left field, inventive and ridiculous.

@ Jeff, I would be stoked to have my name in the sleeve of a record this good.

@ Nolly or Jeff, This thing was mixed on the road with a laptop ? Can you give any info on the actual mixing process, like did you use cans or just setup makeshift in hotel rooms or ? On the songs with real bass, what was the chain mixing wise? Any thoughts on how you achieved getting the kick, bass, snare, relationship so "in your face"? It just seems like there is very little sonic sacrifice between the instruments. I know the majority of the work is done for you when your dealing with players of this caliber but still its very impressive in terms of sonics.