This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Another "How to properly growl..." thread.

Discussion in 'Bloodbath' started by Nightmares Made Flesh, Nov 12, 2005.

1. isolation_years

i'd be really interested to hear some growls

2. Crimson I

Crimson I New Metal Member

3. Tumn

Tumn baptized in blood

My weiner fell off

4. fsgdjv

fsgdjv Member

I started trying to growl last week, and I've read through this entire thread at least 4 times in one week now (>_<) and, there's only one thing I'm wondering. When I try to hold a note for long, I run out of air super fast, are there any good tips on this or will I just keep trying and hope for it to get better?

And, since that tony bullard file posted on the first poage or something doesn't work, I found a working link and I thought I could post it incase someone wants to check it out or something. http://www.tonybullard.com/media/Tony_Bullard_-_Metal_Vocal_Tutorial.mp3

5. isolation_years

well i guess you might need to learn how to manage your air use, maybe your putting to much air and not enough voice, or relying to much on it, i mean im no growler but i remember some of this from my grade 3 music class:lol:

6. Under the weeping spoon

Hah, I started with system of a down too :lol: It was kind of the first metal I ever heard so I was pretty much blown away. Nowdays, soad feels kind of lame, though it brings me a lot of memories. :)

Here is a little clip of me growling, I know its not anything like pefect or so, and I'm just 15 years old. It was like 2 months ago and I think i've got better by now. You dont have to comment or rate on video, but i would appreciate if you could give me some feedback here at this forum.

The video is found in here:

Cheers

#566 Under the weeping spoon, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  7. isolation_years

thats pretty awesome for 15

8. LifeDepraved

LifeDepraved My soul got a crack

I like the cat screams in the background. Not a bad job though.

9. David Hesser

10. Flal

Flal Flal

That's his name! Yeah, this tutorial is better than any other if you want to learn how to do death metal vocals.

11. Flal

Flal Flal

And that's what you get for listening to the Zen Of Screaming...

12. Crimson I

Crimson I New Metal Member

Oh god, do they sound metalcore-ish?

13. EmeticGore

EmeticGore Remove The Limbs

Ok, I don't think this one has been asked yet. So I can growl and have it never hurt. It's semi-low but not nearly as low as I would like. I'm able to go lower but it only ever ends up hurting my throat pretty bad, so, should I stick with the method that isn't killing my vocal cords and continue to practice until something eventually cracks and I'm able to find the tone I want? or should I just suck it up and try the other way until I'm used too it?

14. LifeDepraved

LifeDepraved My soul got a crack

Tighten your mouth like an asshole...and reach deep from your gut...breathe good....and that's all you need.

15. Katatonic89

Katatonic89 Member

Why oh why did this thread die? :p

16. Hook_David

Hook_David Member

Because you can only say "use your stomach" so many times ;)

17. EmeticGore

I've learnt something new for myself lately. I don't know if it was said or if I just didn't catch on, But, for me when I loosen my whole mouth (including cheeks) and use as little muscle with my jaw and tongue as possible, I can do way deeper and get a more clean sound. Only problem is holding a long growl, which will come with time.

18. sinsinatti

sinsinatti New Metal Member

Ive got a question about the whole growling thing and you guys seem to know about this quite well so I hope you can help me out. I can produce the growls and screams and such to what I think is pretty good, the only probly is it seems like my throat doesn't want to keep it going. After alittle bit (always randomly, sometimes after a couple minutes, sometimes ten minutes) I can't make the growls or screams at all...its just me pushing out nothing but hot air, almost as if my throat is dried up or something. If I go take a little break and get something to drink and wait a couple minutes or so I can usually jump right back into it but then the process just rinses and repeats. This is a problem because I would like to join a band but I can't just take a three minute break in the middle of a song, let alone make it through a whole set like that...so Ive got a couple questions. Could the growls and screams just be coming from my saliva alone and it all dries up so no more growls (if so....how do I stop that and make growls like a real man), am i just growling-handicapped, or do I just need lots more practice? Any help is appreciated. :)

19. EmeticGore

I'm a noob, but I'd say just keep practicing. Takes forever it seems, but it all falls in to place eventually. Patience is key to everything.

20. sinsinatti

sinsinatti New Metal Member

haha, yeah I know what you mean, just sucks because I have it and Im like....damn its sounding good...ahh...shit....nothing but air now :( it gets to be quite frustrating at times haha. guess its back to work :)