This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Any old time original Opeth forum members still lurking around?

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by MetalManCPA, May 28, 2009.

1. S4R

S4R gooey

Somehow I still have 3.04 posts per day.

2. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

1.26 posts / day :(

3. isolation_years

epic join date, welcome back haha, it's cool to see how long people have been coming here, how did the opeth forum look when you first came here?

edit: also, i have 3.14 posts per day oddly, i thought it would be lower

4. MetalManCPA

MetalManCPA Papa Opeth

At the risk of sounding like an elitist I will tell you my thoughts on this forum in its infancy. I have no intention of insulting anybody, but if I do I'm sorry.

Back in 2001 when this forum was born there was a very small group of members as compared to today. With the forum being small and intimate, the postings moved at a much slower pace as there just weren't as many people posting. With the size and speed of the forum, when you logged on you could catch up on a lot as it was so much easier reading what was posted.

The forum had a character to it, mainly due to its size. It seemed to be a close-knit community where it appeared everybody for the most part knew everybody else to some degree. And what made this forum special to me was two-fold: for one, I feel the conversations were deeper and more intellectual. But I want to explain so as not to sound like trashing the current forum. I think that would happen to any forum - with so many people now on the forum (a city as compared to when the forum first started) everything goes too fast, plus there just isn't time to wade through everything posted, and thus I had this feeling to quickly log on to take a look and then leave. Anyways, the conversations in the early days would go on for pages, and many single posts were mini compositions in themselves. There were so many characters - Satori, Misanthrope to name a few. We had some battles - I had a battle with Janet, probably my only internet fight ever. I felt I got to know people on the forum, even though I know that's not true - I only knew people through the typed words on my screen. Regardless, I felt close in an internet sort of way with may people on the forum. The other reason the forum was special to me was at that time we were going through difficult family times, and this forum and its members provided mental help - stability, kindness, compassion, etc.

Then it grew and sped up. From my eyes, the conversations became simpler, and then repetetive. With so many people just not taking the time to use the search function (I'm a culprit too), the same question could be asked a half dozen times. All of that meant an afternoons worth of posting took up an entire page of threads. I notice many threads have only a handful of responses - in the "old days" threads could go on for weeks. Deep stuff - religion, family, etc. I liked it.

So to fault this forum specifically for how I feel about it now is not what I'm doing. It's forums and the internet in general - it's gotten big and fast. And it's hard to find the time to get caught up in it. Back in the beginning of this forum, it could take me 1/2 hour to draft a thread, but it felt good when it sparked a weeks long conversation. Now, I take the time and within a day my post is on page 3 and beyond hidden in obscurity. So I therefore just don't have the time because I do not get much satisfaction back.

Hope that explains my vision of the forum then and now.

5. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

I guess I understand how you are feeling. I've been active here since only.. let's say.. two years and I feel how it's changing. I don't think it's bad like it is right now, but I agree that it could be better, like the way you described the "old times". Ironically, the "Faith" thread I started three weeks ago was one of the most active and is approximatively 12 pages long. Just as the "metal" thread from Arasmas; it's full of bullshit but there are some real opinions in there and something constructive! I personally got to know many guys in here who joined the forum near the same time as I. I guess HemeHaci would be an example. Lots of cool guys and some strange characters too.. and boring trolls also. There's probably less "character" in the forum than before.

6. Ruun

Ruun German Scum

u Xarthaz ?

7. IcemanJ256

IcemanJ256 Dark Overlord

Hi MetalMan & Lina :wave: you may remember me.. may not. I still check this forum, just hardly ever feel the need to say anything. I agree with mostly everything you said about the old days... I miss it. I think things started deteriorating when they took away the off-topic forum and banned Oyo! :p It really was a close-knit community and it helped me discover many of my favorite artists.

I just saw Opeth for the first time last weekend in Columbus, Ohio. Awesome!

8. isolation_years

^sigur ros hooray

9. CladInDarkness

CladInDarkness Under A Blackened Sky

I read with out posting, plus having a forum of my own here it makes more sense for me to come back and when I do I'll quickly pop in to see what's going on here and in the Novembers Doom forum.

I come back here for the reasons that were already mentioned; back in the forums infancy there was a tight knit group of people that posted and I sort of have a small loyalty toward this forum for that reason, even if I don't post here much or many of the others.

10. gotham

gotham Member

I was on a lot in 2001 and 02, although I doubt anyone remembers me. I just Opeth again last week in NY and it's was spectacular! The big difference today vs. a few years ago is that most of the show is now available to watch on You Tube.

11. Mr Samsara

Mr Samsara Misanthropic Moderator

That's really the big difference? :headscratch: :chinrub:

12. Lethe78

Lethe78 Expired candle

I still pop in occaisionally, but very seldom post. Although Radiohead is my favorite band these days, lol. How's it going Metalman?? I acquired a degree in accounting.... just thought I should share that since your name is followed by "CPA".

13. MetalManCPA

MetalManCPA Papa Opeth

Congrats - hope it all works out for you!!

14. Don Corleone

well obviously, the same for me :Smug:

congrats on the grandchild, papa opeth! your posts have always been rare gems in the dirt. i feel you should consider going back to posting more often.

15. opeth8

opeth8 My Arms, Your Casket

I would like to see that brought back
    Then again that would open up feeding season for the trolls

16. JesusChristPose

JesusChristPose Logic Dictates

Well said, old timer. :)

17. CladInDarkness

Yep. That pretty much summed up everything perfectly. This forum was also one of the reasons why I developed such a stronger connection with metal in general. I looked up to a lot of the people here actually, I was only 16 when I joined the forum and was still quite impressionable. But the conversations that took place here really shaped what I thought metal was about and what it should be like. I really miss a lot of the things about the old forum.

18. Russell

Russell __

:wave:

Congrats on the new arrival, and it's good to hear your daughter is doing so well :)

(edit: I guess I should add my username back then was godisanatheist)

19. CladInDarkness

I remember you solely for the fact our birthdays are on the same day.

20. MetalManCPA

MetalManCPA Papa Opeth

Thanks, and Hi back. Feels like old times (so cliche) :)