This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Any thoughts on the new Pink Floyd re-masters?

Discussion in 'Laser's Edge' started by LarryD, Nov 19, 2011.

1. LarryD

LarryD Member

In particular -

Dark Side of the Moon (again)
    The Division Bell
    Wish You Were Here

Not interested in the Immersion sets, just the sound of the re-mastered CD.......

Ken -- kindly stay out of this one........:lol:

2. Mullmuzzler

Mullmuzzler Member

I'm interested in this thread also. Do they sound better?

Would love to get the Discovery Box.

3. Leyth Mulla

Leyth Mulla Senior Member

Honestly, they sound just slightly better. I think the bass is rounder and more prominent and the mid-range got a bit of a boost. The good thing is that they did not turn up the sound to the point of pain as in some recent remastering jobs. The packaging itself is nothing special either unless you want to spring for the ultra special (read that "stupidly expensive") editions. My two cents...

4. Pink Floyd > all

Of course they do, but then again everyone has their own opinion. It also depends what equipment you use to listen to it; for example, the quality of the stereo system, sound card, headphones, etc, etc.

There's definitely an improvement, though. The blu-ray audio sounds fantastic.

You can head over to brain-damage.co.uk if you want a more in-depth and detailed review of each immersion release which covers the main album remaster.

I've spent over $500 on all these Why Pink Floyd? releases and there's still a shitload more i'll drop for the other releases coming up; for instance, they're releasing a limited edition 3 7" single box set for Black Friday, a SACD for WYWH which is already out, The Wall DVD from Waters' The Wall tour, his DSOTM tour DVD, etc, etc.

5. Neoman

Neoman Member

Any release time frame on these?

6. DJ's Locker

DJ's Locker Member

I bought all the single album releases except for the "Dark Side of the Moon" which I chose the experience edition. Why? It included a live version of DSOTM. Imho I thought they sounded much better but not enough to get all the other versions. A guy has to draw the line somewhere. At least I do. I still need cash for new releases, etc. etc. I do think the single version releases was definitely worth it. :kickass:

7. Pink Floyd > all

Ah, i think i read and/or heard about a release date a while ago (when it was mentioned in a video interview with Roger), but i forgot, man. Sorry.

Brain-damage might have some info if you take the time to read about The Wall immersion.

I think they might release The Wall in a SACD format as well.

8. lasercd

lasercd Man Behind The Curtain

I have heard none of the remasters. I have a friend (with a nice high-end system) that bought the SACD of Wish You Were Here. He raved about it.

9. Metman

Metman Buffalo Bills /Mets/Rangers Fan

Wow I can just Imagine what ""Meddle"':headbang: must sound Like........And ""The Division Bell"":kickass:

10. Neoman

Neoman Member

Yes, I forgot about Meddle! Just picked it up! :headbang:

11. LarryD

LarryD Member

Picked up ---

Momentary Lapse of Reason & The Division Bell.

Both are re-mastered wonderfully, although the heavily triggered drums are way out in the big time now, but if that doesn't bother you, these 2 discs sound fantastic. All the little sound effects you couldn't hear before are now audible and Gilmour vocals are clear and pristine (they were good to start with but now better)

I'll probably get "Wish You Were Here" and that will be about it, but all in all it was worth it to get the re-masters (already have 2 versions of Dark Side).