This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anyone care to offer some feedback on this mix? (real drums, kemper)

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by Keregioz, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Keregioz

Keregioz Kimon Zeliotis

This is a band I'm working with right now, they play melodic doom metal, although I'm not sure this particular song can be classified as such.

Anyway, I used kemper for the guitars (one of Lasse's profiles). The drums are real with samples blended on kick and snare.

The band asked me to use a "swallow the sun" album as a reference.

Here's the track: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/316805/Immensity/Sullen_M001S.mp3

Any advices/suggestions are welcome.

2. WalhallaM

WalhallaM Member

Sounds good ,only clean vocal seems little muddy and toms little distant ,listening trough headphones.

3. Jaosix

Jaosix Jaosix

Guitars sound great! Bass could use some hard compression though to make it more solid. It's jumping out a lot it feels like. I love the blend of it with the guitars though. Fits together nice
    The snare volume definitely needs brought up. Maybe add a high shelf to make it pop out of the mix a little bit more. I love snares, but this one sounds buried :/
    The vocals do sound a tad muddy and maybe could use a littttle bit more compression. Maybe get a harmonic exciter and EQ it on the vocal to do like 1k to 4k. That would probably do the trick

4. Keregioz

Keregioz Kimon Zeliotis

Appreciate the comments guys, I'll look into it. Although, I admit I'm not sure what you mean by "muddy vocals", I was only aware of the term "muddy guitars" until know :). Are you referring to all vocals or just the brutal/clean parts? They do have quite a bit of compression though, I doubt that's the problem.

The snare indeed has some issues, I've been made aware from other people that it's also over-compressed.

Bass is squashed to death, the waveform is practically a straight line ;) Maybe something is happening with the low end, I should use some multi-band compression maybe?

5. WalhallaM

WalhallaM Member

Just cleans and listen on monitors I had to agree with Jaosix on bass guitar and for vocals boosting high end will do,it sounds like 'muddiness' come from reverb/delay.I like the overall sound of the mix.