This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Are NILE worth investing time in?

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Nihon-jin, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Nihon-jin

Nihon-jin New Metal Member

I've heard so many great things about this band that I feel compelled to purchase the new cd. But, I've also seen a few reviews of Nile that claim that they really only incorporate a few "Egyptian intros", but the music is just dull.

Can anyone HONESTLY describe their music? Is it pure death, in the early 90s style? I hope not - I never could get into those bands.

Or, is it adventerous "modern death" that pushes the envelope? Is it closer in feel (if not musically) to Zyklon, Opeth, or Emperor, or not??!?!?

someone help....please!!!

2. SentencedToBurn

its nothing like emperor, opeth or zyklon. Its extremly brutal death metal. they do only incorperate a few egyptian type things. the rest is just brutal death metal like cannibal corpse but twice as brutal and faster. if you ask me i think it gets pretty boring and fast but i still like them a bit. still got my BSOV shirt in my drawer.

3. R.I.P.2

R.I.P.2 just say hi

They are worth investing in. They are brutal. They are fast.

I only have BSOV...I can see how people find it boring I suppose...but it is awesome. :)

4. J.

J. Old Fart

I have all three of their full lengths. They get better with each album. Start with either BSOV or ITDS

5. Nugent Goes AOL

Nugent Goes AOL Crescent Fresh!

Definitely worhh investing time in...aside from just the intros, the scales and modes used in the songwriting are very mediterranean/Egyptian in nature. Great shit! Black Seeds of Vengence is my personal fave album of theirs.

6. O'blivion

O'blivion blood flowing skywards

YES. highly technical, comparatively 'epic' death metal, with symphonic elements (mostly ancient egyptian and sumerian instruments), a lyrical basis on ACTUAL ancient egyptian history and texts, is what you can expect if you invest your time in Nile.

ok how did ted nugent get a hold of the new ISIS already?

7. svenske kocken

svenske kocken oompa loompa doopity doo

Very brutal, very technical, very unique and very cool death metal with a brilliant concept - both music and lyrics. The growls are very, very dark and deep - but if you can stand that you will love Nile for sure.

8. Immortality

Immortality Member

Nile are extremely brutal death metal. If you can stand 10000mph drumming and deep growls then you will love Nile.

9. Schraiber

Schraiber Opeth fanboy

They're one of the few br00tal bands I can stand. In Their Darkened Shrines is such a rocking album. The riffs have a very egyptian feel, and some of the solos really do. It is very br00tal though. A lot of the songs are constant blast beats.

10. MadTinus

MadTinus Language enthusiast

NILE FUCKIN' DESTROY!!!

I just got the new one this afternoon and therefore can't say a lot about it yet, but BSOV is a milestone in the Death Metal genre. Exorbitantly brutal Death Metal, blazing blastbeats with ultra slow and heavy parts and magickal Egyptian atmosphere. The Egyptian sounds/samples and concept make them unique and it adds great atmosphere to the material.

If you download a few tracks, try Masturbating The War God, it captures every aspect of Nile, blazing speed, crushing heaviness and haunting atmosphere.

Like someone else said on this thread, I'm not usually into brutal Death Metal, but Nile own me, they're unique and just plain awesome.

Investment in them is mandatory!!!

11. InMyKingdomCold

InMyKingdomCold Serenity Painted death

Nile have been described pretty accurately on this thread. They are incredibly heavy and brutal, but incorporate many egyptian themes into their music. I bought the new album over a week ago, and it is fantastic. The music is clearer than "Black Seeds..." or "Catacombs" and therefore you can hear the riffs more clearly. In fact, you can hear everything more clearly. I have to say though, "Black Seeds..." is my favourite Nile album. It has so much power, speed and brutality...you may want to brace yourself before you listen to it.

I recomend you try "Black Seeds of Vengeance".

12. Dvoters

Dvoters There is a rain falling

Is the new album out worldwide yet?

\m/

13. American Alexi

American Alexi Warrior of Modern Death

I think Nile is horrid. I can't see why they get all the credit they do. They don't deserve it.

Each song is just a mission to see how fast the drums can play blast beats. The music isn't "technical"...I would know, being a guitarist for a long time. It gets VERY boring, very fast. Some riffs and grooves are good, but there aren't enough moments like that. It's a shame..."brutal death" bands don't have a clue.

14. mindflesh

mindflesh Rainbow Satan Overflow

I have thought about getting their new album as well - usually I'm not really a fan of Death Metal, but that's partly due to bands like Cannibal Corpse & co. which have, in my opinion, quite stupid texts, an uninspired concept and self-copying music. Since Nile currently seems to be among the reference bands in Death Metal and I like the Egyptian concept, I think if I'm gonna buy a Death Metal album anytime soon it will be Nile's new one...
    And I don't give a shit if they're "technical" or not, I'm not a musician, nor do I buy a cd to admire the guitar player's skills.

15. Bleakest Harvest

Bleakest Harvest \m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/

In Their Darkened Shrines is an amazing album, try downloading 'The Blessed Dead'

Other than that, my fav Nile track is RAMSES...

...BRINGER OF WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Claire's Horror

Claire's Horror sperm monster

personally I don't find them big deal. they sound like a Morbid Angel with slight alterations and egyptian passages in about 5% of the music.

17. MadTinus

MadTinus Language enthusiast

Don't know, but definitely in the UK.

18. Elysian Blaze

Elysian Blaze The Blade

I like 'em. Saw 'em with Arch Enemy a month ago [though, not their whole set]. Their new album is worth picking up, as is Black Seeds, if simply for To Dream of Ur. That song is sick.

NP: Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down - [10] - Sweet Nurse

19. sands of the seas

sands of the seas Of Another World

The only thing that bothers me about Nile is the vocals. I don't like them at all. Having said that, i never used to like other growls either and now i love them, so time may be the key.

20. InMyKingdomCold

InMyKingdomCold Serenity Painted death

You can certainly tell that Nile are influenced by Ancient Egypt, even without looking at the lyrics. The music, although Death Metal, has a massive Egyptian feel to it. I mean the solos sound like they were imported from Egypt. Its all very interesting and original. Nile have brought something new into the world of Death Metal, and personally I think they deserve the success they have had.