This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ask KIUAS

Discussion in 'Kiuas' started by Mikko Ilmarinen, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Janga666

Janga666 Infamous Butcher

ohhh that would be fucking awesome!!!

2. Willstorm

Willstorm Member

Hei guys,
    I was wondering what is the origin of the Kiuas' logo ?? this sort of burning stone...

3. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

'Tis the mighty sauna stove!

I'm actually not positive, but I'm guessing that's what it is.

4. Willstorm

Willstorm Member

Okay yes it'es probably that ^^
    I thought it was a mythologic item or something like that I didn't think at all it could be the stones in sauna :loco:

5. Red(Fr)

Red(Fr) New Metal Member

Hey!

I discovered this great band one week ago and I wanted to tell you first that I'm already fan! :p

So here is my question:

"Would you play in France in a european tour?"

I'm asking myself cause most of my friends like Kiuas too and we were really happy to ear that a live performance could take place in our country :p

Anyway you rocks!

Sincerly,

Red' from France

6. great_kthulu

great_kthulu Greater Evil

hey miko, have you ever considered doing a video lesson for bleeding strings?(amazing song by the way, one of the best dime tributes around :)

7. Adam Fiske

How's the songwriting for the new album coming along? We're all parched from the silence of you guys.

8. Zombie_Kiuas

Zombie_Kiuas Brave Sir Robin

It's early yet but I think Mikko has about 10ish songs ready that we can start rehearsing and compiling to masterpieces. We will start to record songs within this year and hopefully have the album ready early next year.

There have been a few opportunities that we've had to explore that have taken time and effort. It's all very hushhush but that's one or the reasons (or excuses) we haven't made a big racket or ourselves...

9. Janga666

This is a question for Mikko.

I love your acoustic guitar parts and I am wondering what is the name of the style that you use (if there is a name)? I have never heard that style of playing before and I am interested in learning it.

Thanks! :)

10. Mikko Ilmarinen

Mikko Ilmarinen Son of Ukko

Whoa, what a question! :loco:

First of all...whenever I play ANY type of guitar (or anyone else for that matter, unless they are VERY confined in their own genre), it's a combination of styles, a blend of a vast amount of influences, with hopefully a little something of my own...although everything has basically been done a million times, so creating something truly new is nearly impossible. Nevertheless, it's exactly the unique blend of influences that makes each player slightly different. Of course, many players can still sound boring. :lol:
    (including myself!)
    ...it's how you use and combine these influences that makes for an interesting and personal style.

Anyway, if you were expecting an answer such as: "I'm a member of the Helsinki-flamenco-folk-metal-guitarclub, so i play that style", i'm sorry to dissapoint you, but it just isn't like that. :)

But if I must try to analyze, for example "after the storm" is very folky, the basic chord strumming stuff such as in the chorus is just basic "campfire strumming". The intro/verse is more celtic influenced, perhaps a little to do with me being a Jethro tull fan. I also tried to put some "technical" :Smug: licks in there, they might be stolen from some real acoustic players such as tommy emmanuel. The solo has some jazz-type phrasing, a style I'm TRYING to practice every now and then. :lol:

Does this get you anywhere? I recommend listening to some top acoustic players, for example the guitar trio with Al DiMeola, John Mclaughlin and Paco de Lucia...celtic music, flamenco, acoustic gypsy jazz, middle eastern guitarists, whatever. You'll also notice quickly that different styles might sound so different and yet have so much in common at the same time...

Damn, I got carried away again! :kickass:

11. Janga666

Thanks Mikko!

Sorry to confuse you... haha! I will check out your suggestions. Keep on developing your style because you are a great guitar player!

12. TheDrizztMan

TheDrizztMan TheDrizztMan

Tucson, Arizona, USA- where dreams go to die
    hey guys, i just can't get over how badass the lyrics to "bleeding strings" are? what inspired you guys to write that song? and how on earth did you guys become so poetic? :worship:

13. Adam Fiske

Dimebag Darrell, dude.

14. Willstorm

Willstorm Member

How's your baby Markku ? :D

15. Markku

Markku Band Member

She is fine, thanks for asking :9

16. Hovinarri

Hovinarri New Metal Member

Just a quick question, for Teemu mostly:

Is there a way to get Kiuas tablatures for bass anywhere? I've been hunting for those couple of months already.

Palvokaa Ukkoa!

17. Zombie_Kiuas

Zombie_Kiuas Brave Sir Robin

Well, no really. I'm too lazy to do them myself and I haven't heard that someone would have made them anywhere. But maybe you can be the first one!

18. Willstorm

Willstorm Member

19. Hovinarri

Hovinarri New Metal Member

I learned those songs already, hungry for more! Altough, last week I started to make tabs for Across the Snows. Wish me luck

20. great_kthulu

great_kthulu Greater Evil

any chance for more guitar tabs? and Mikko, can you give some video lessons? I think you are possible the best guitarist comming out of finland right now, better than alexi or roope.