This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

At the Gates - "At War With Reality"

Discussion in 'RC' started by MFJ, Oct 8, 2014.

1. ChaosLee

ChaosLee Formerly Necromunchkin

I enjoyed that track. Definitely sounds like the 20 year later extension of SotS but I have no problems with that

NP: Bathory "Blood on Ice"

2. Krilons Resa

Krilons Resa Jerry's married?!

That song wasn't very good at all, tbh.

3. MFJ

MFJ Active Member

My least favorite track... Kind of a weak opener I think. The intro is also pretty cliche/pointless. If they had eliminated both of these and opened with the title track... Seems to me like a better place to begin. Definitely had some of these songs stuck in my head today. As an album by itself, a solid 7/10 atm

4. Krilons Resa

Krilons Resa Jerry's married?!

Yeah, I gotta check out the album in it's entirety.

5. Tranquillian

Tranquillian Svartmetallist

Y'er all a bunch of negative Nancys.
    FOAD. :D

6. Plastic Nathrakh

If you go and listen to an album with the kind of grimace you have for new music, you're always going to be disappointed. I mean, you knew it was gonna be bad. How much of a chance did they have to sway you with that attitude? Had to have been some pretty ground-breaking stuff eh?

You only listened to the album because of their history and to hopefully relive a piece of what metal offered us as kids. I'm sorry to say that as you get older, the spark and excitement you'd get as a young chap anticipating a new album kind of dwindles out. So let's be a little less cranky. I mean really, how much did that download hurt you in the long run. Even if you were to have purchased the album, would you have paid them the 8 bucks asking price for them to produce an album? I would. Just to hear it. For academia's sake. :p

To the other argument about the $$$$, I know you hate the corporations and money-makers (we get it), but maybe they're just a bunch of dudes who like writing music and wanted to make something new? Is that a possibility? That's what should excite you if you'd just be a bit less curmudgeonly :D. They made some great music and the passion may still be there, bud....even if you dislike it before pressing play.

7. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

I've never really been an ATG fan. When SotS came out, I wasn't paying attention to extreme music. When I finally checked it out (many years later), I wasn't blown away. I enjoyed a few of the tracks, but never truly appreciated what made the record special. So unlike most of you, I have a very different context for this record, free from high expectations, or ever stylistic expectations. With that said, I real likely the new album. The songs are really strong, I like the overall feel of the record, and the production is just as I like it; clean and balanced.

8. ChaosLee

ChaosLee Formerly Necromunchkin

I dig it. It works well for me, and is one of the more solid releases this year.

9. einride

einride your best friend

yes

is that supposed to be some kind of attack

"haha you want ground-breaking? fuck you bro, you should totez accept this mediocre bullshit because it's the LONG AWAITED NEW ALBUM BY WORLD FAMOUS RECORDING ARTISTS"

metal sucks in 2014 but that doesn't mean i'm going to lower my standards and accept and laud stupid crap

if it's not better than tritsio, it's not better, and that's it

you can't tiptoe around this with "oh but it's good for a comeback album" "oh but it's one of the best albums of 2014" and things like that

sorry all this can be true and the album can still be bullshit

i know this

but that doesn't mean i'm suddenly incapable of analyzing or judging new music

i don't hate the act of making money

i don't hate a lot, actually. but i do think money is one of the worst reasons for creating art.

so is it a possibility that they did this just for the love of music and the desire to create something new as atg? i don't doubt that they still have songwriting left in them and some things to say, but why does it have to be under the atg banner?

is it a possibility? let me ask you this: if everyone in the world, including all those 50000 boring bands with rehearsal rooms full of big honkin' xerox machines, hadn't posthumously slobbered all over sots, placing it all over all the "best albums ever" lists; if they hadn't demanded and begged for a reunion; if record labels hadn't been waving comedy-size cheques around, do you think the former members of atg (most of them now members of other "successful" bands) would have cared enough to reunite and release a new album? as at the gates? eighteen years later?

they even said a couple of years ago they were reuniting just to tour and a new album would just taint their legacy

then $omething happened and i $imply do not under$tand what that might have been

it is a POSSIBILITY, but it's not really looking that way

10. Plastic Nathrakh

No.

The question shouldn’t be “is this better than” their earlier stuff. The question should be “is this good” regardless. That’s all I’m saying. I’ve seen so much of this over the years, and it’s so blah. Like, gag me with a spyoon.

No one is saying you can’t, just trying to help you smile is all. Everything doesn’t have to suck.

Absolutely, I do think so. Us fellas can do crazy things when we hit 40. Think ‘City Slickers’ with guitars. And I’d rather listen to this midlife crisis than another The Haunted record, but that’s just me….not sure how you feel.

11. Reign in Acai

Reign in Acai Of Elephant and Man

I just gave it a once over. An obvious cash grab, but it's done respectfully enough. I doubt I'd shell a kopeck for it, especially considering that I paused half way through to check out some other new music. :lol:

Kudos to these cats, no shame in liking this.

12. J.

J. Old Fart

"Good" doesn't cut it anymore and neither does being a completist. I was never a huge atg fan anyway. Tsd still rocks though

It's very obvious it's a cash grab. I guess the haunted wasn't paying the bills.

13. Tranquillian

Tranquillian Svartmetallist

Cash-grab? fuck off if any of you think so.

14. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

Albums aren't a "cash grab" for anyone, least of all underground metal bands. Moreover, if tour money was what the band was after, they didn't need to write an album to fill North American venues or be included in European festivals. If At the Gates was seeking a quick cash influx, they could have simply announced they're going on tour and performing Slaughter the Soul from beginning to end. Finally, there are a good number of early reviews calling this an AOTY contender. You can disagree with those reviews if you wish. However, good music is always good music. If it also happens to make money, that's merely as it should be.

15. J.

J. Old Fart

see dimmu's re-recording of stormblast

again, i have not heard it nor desire to, but this doesnt surprise me in the least. lots of bands get great press, but suck

im not opposed to any band making music, reunion or otherwise, but lets call a spade a spade

16. MFJ

MFJ Active Member

amen brother

17. Dick Sirloin

Dick Sirloin please... stay safe

Just the fact that people are actually arguing about what ATG are doing in 2014 is fucking :lol:

18. einride

einride your best friend

just because i don't like bad music doesn't mean that i am unhappy or that you need to help me with it

i'm posting on a music forum about music

19. dorian gray

dorian gray Returning videotapes

Im listening to Taylor Swift's new album while reading this thread

20. Plastic Nathrakh

Party on, Garth.