This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

At The Gates related...

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Statues_Turned_Dust, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Statues_Turned_Dust

Statues_Turned_Dust Damnations Wrath

can anyone post a breakdown of this bands guitar style? something like common chords and scale patterns they stick to and so forth,also to name some bands with similar styles.....any information at all is greatly appreciated

2. BillowOfZeal

BillowOfZeal and I looked up her skirt

I am not very good at this type of thing but being a huge fan I will give it a shot.
    Their guitars are very jumpy and melodic with a few beautiful clean tone breaks here and there. I defintely recommend them.
    In the department of similar bands, I would say ...hmmm....maybe early Edge of Sanity in that the riffs are melodic in a similar fashion if that makes any sense.
    Sorry I can't really word it as well as I wish. But go buy Slaughter the Soul....for sure. One of the best metal albums EVER!!!!!

3. Statues_Turned_Dust

Statues_Turned_Dust Damnations Wrath

I have Slaughter of the Soul and Terminal Spirit Disease :D but I was hoping for a more technical explanation like...melodic minor scales or whatever else they may use to get their sound. someone had mentioned something called pivot licks but im not sure what they are,to me their melodies have this sort of haunting classical sound to them(best example I can think of of this is the tremolo picked line on Undo Others during the chorus-My judas window stay shut,shut forever more) I had read something about scales being named for what they sound such as classical,happy,sad,gloomy,classical and so forth,and I was hoping if anyone had broken down their writing style(musical wise) and another thing thats been nagging me.....what are blast beats?

4. BillowOfZeal

BillowOfZeal and I looked up her skirt

Oh, :lol: I can't get into all that. I just rip them off by ear:D

5. Slayed Necros

The riffing is unexplainable....The Crown is quite similar.