This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Autumn is a'coming!

Discussion in 'Woods of Ypres' started by shredsofautumn, Sep 10, 2008.

1. shredsofautumn

As the weather vane drops and the nights grow longer, as the crop begins to wither towards harvest, what do you do differently in Autumn, whether it be music choice or anything lifestyle related? (I know that now its time to switch the woods disc though, as the "end of august" has come and gone).

I remember Dave once posting here that September is Type O Negative weather and other doom metal and the like. I'd have to agree with him. That, and Oktoberfest and Pumpkin brews http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/images/smilies/beerbang.gif
    :kickass:

2. sdmf2

sdmf2 Member

Autumn is still time for death metal, transitioning into more folk/epic stuff and lots of doom/black metal coming around.

3. Dauden

Dauden Member

I start digging the folk metal when the leaves start falling, and its just about the only time I listen to any doom/death, digging the new Swallow the Sun EP right now, as well as some Draconian, My Dying Bride, etc.

4. woodsmoke

woodsmoke Jack Frober fanboy

For me, Autumn usualy means old school Black Metal (early Bathory, Venom, Hellhammer, etc...) playing pool, and cheap beer. Towards the end of October, I will dig out my Agalloch records :kickass:

5. Dauden

Dauden Member

Though I think The Mantle is intended as a winter day album (especially the one song with the snow crunching), its absolutely mind numbing on a super overcast, grey day in the fall, wow. I save black metal for once it starts getting really cold, viking and folk metal helps to warm me up, er, cool me down, for the winter

6. shredsofautumn

yeah, i usually rep 'october rust' from type o negative, as well as some 'pale folklore' from agalloch around this time. katatonia is always a safe bet too.

7. woodsmoke

woodsmoke Jack Frober fanboy

I agree that The Mantle is a winter album. To me, Pale Folklore is a perfect late Autumn album.

8. CanadianMetalFan

To me an Agalloch album is great any fucking day. I was listening to "Ashes..." on a bright sunny 25 degree day on the weekend. To me my likes are always changing its really whatever I'm in the mood for on a day-to-day basis. I guess lately this past week I haven't been into black metal as much as usual, but more doom metal or straight up heavy fucking metal or just anything "progressive" and the other day I found myself listening to Bob Dylan and then suddenly wanted to listen to Decapitated.

Joel

9. David Gold

David Gold Son of the Darkest Blues

One of the greatest (and maybe only) uninterrupted joys of my life has been the habitual enjoyment of 'seasonal listening'. I stand by these habits. As a summary: Spring = Devin Townsend, Summer = Stoner Metal, Fall = Type O Negative, Winter = Black Metal. Fill in the gaps.

+ AGALLOCH's "The Mantle" was released in fall of 2002 (I believe), when I first bought it, so I have always thought of it as a fall album. On a side note, I actually bought that album as my 'wind down CD' after recording "Against the Seasons" (stress). To this day there's something magical when hearing those first two drum beats and the acoustic guitar strumming that follows.

10. Miltbrand

Miltbrand Member

Fall = Doom! As it gets darker outside, the music goes darker as well.
    In december I have a habit of listening to Satyricon - The Shadowthrone. I almost never listen to it other wise...

11. Mother North

Mother North New Metal Member

Agalloch , Lord belial , opeth and enslaved... those are autumn bands

12. JoeDaleFrost

JoeDaleFrost Pantheon of Oak

Well in the spring an summer I usually listen to folk metal. In September and October more Doom and black metal. In winter it's just a black metal fest.

13. JoeDaleFrost

I think Pale Folklore is more if a winter album with such tracks as "Dead Winter Days", "Hallways of Enchanted Ebony" and " The Melancholy Spirit", but I can see what you mean with Autumn thing hence, "She Painted Fire Across the Skyline" and "As Embers Dress the Sky" (that title reminds me red falling leaves, as in the ember).

14. The Black Death

The Black Death WoY supporter

Swallow the sun
    Daylight dies
    Samhain
    Wolves in the throne room
    My dying bride
    Lifelover
    Summoning

... And also : EBM/Industrial music !

15. JoeDaleFrost

Drudkh is awesome in Autumn

16. chrisdoig24k

chrisdoig24k Boom King

Spring is coming over here! And I don't know what I'll be listening to... lots :D