This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

B-52 tube amps

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Sly, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Sly

Sly Member

Anyone tried those ? I'm curious

I tried an AT-212 this weekend and it sounded really good, Mesa/Boogie Recto kind of tone, I will post a sample soon !

2. PhilTheBeard

PhilTheBeard "The Beard"

Not a fan of them and their build quality is about the same if not worse then crate.

3. BrettT

BrettT Member

They sound decent enough, but have this really annoying squelchy sound that I'm not fond of.

4. DestroyTheColossus

My band in high school acquired a B-52 halfstack cause the guitarist for the drummers other band just left it for about 2 years after the band broke up. One of the guitarists in my band used it for a little while and we quickly started referring to it as the half-dead halfstack. Don't know what model it was since it was a while ago, and in it's defense we probably didn't know how to set up a good tone back then, but the only other amp we had at our disposal at the time was a Marshall MG100DFX and it sounded loads better than the B-52.

5. Metal Overload

I love mine, not that good for recording, but for live use and practice is awesome, about the construction well, i got mine like 5 years ago (got it used), and i use it a lot, i retubed and sound a lot better, never had a problem, is built like a thank. really don´t know why people don´t like it, i had it once face to face to a triple rectifier and it did a decent battle, they sounded really similar together, of course the mesa is better, but it doesnt mean the b52 isn´t good, i think is an awesome amp for the price, don´t forget this amp was designed by bruce egnater. and sorry DestroyTheColossus, but there is no way a marshall mg100dfx sound better than an AT100, maybe that one had bad tubes or something, i also had a Marshall MG100.. or maybe i got lucky and got a good one out of a bunch.

6. Wolfeman

Wolfeman I Prefer EL-34s. So What?

They had some quality control issues early on, but for the price you get a decent amp.

And FYI I'm pretty sure it's the same preamp design as an Egnater Tourmaster. Also, the Madison amps were made in the same Chinese factory.

7. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

I have an AT-100 head that's been broken for a few years now. Fuck that amp. haha

8. Sloan

Sloan Sounds like shit!

The only experience I have is using one for a show and it was actually really good. it was a 2x12.

9. Scott Horner

Scott Horner Scottimus Maximus

I used one while I was saving up for my Triple Rec and then subsequently as a back-up. It's definitely a decent amp for the price. I'm actually trying to sell my AT-100 at the moment simply because I'm not playing shows anymore and don't need a backup.