This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

band with female lead who looks like a guy?

Discussion in 'Band Recommendations Forum' started by 9korra9, Nov 4, 2020.

1. 9korra9

9korra9 New Metal Member

hey,
    so i have this project for school about gender stereotypes and stuff and i'm looking for bands with a female lead who defies stereotypes with her looks (thus, by looking masculine. she can sound masculine too though, that's cool too! im mainly looking for those who look masculine as a priority though! she can totally have a high pitched voice, as long as she looks like a guy) so for example, she has short hair, wears masculine clothing, etc.
    Examples I already have are:
    * exist trace
    *nina simone
    * valshe
    * 96neko
    * christine and the queens
    * skunk anansie
    * eurythmics
    * otep
    * kd lang
    * ael (YES!!)
    * the hoopers
    * amber liu
    * grace jones
    * acrush/fanxyred
    * the internet
    * la roux
    * big thief

2. Podgie

Podgie Young Man, Old Soul

I can't think of a female lead in a metal band who looks like a guy... in metal you're more likely to find guys who look like girls :lol:

In all seriousness though, I think it's extremely rare - all the women in metal I know at least, look like women. Whether dressed in "masculine clothing", have short hair, or not. I wouldn't think you'll find a woman in metal attempting to look like a guy.

Studs and spikes and leather etc. sure, but that's an attempt to look the part and be theatrical - powerful, intimidating, mysterious, whatever. Same as guys in metal do.

Apologies if I'm missing your point...

3. Ron Mortuary Grinder

Ron Mortuary Grinder New Metal Member

4. loves guitars

loves guitars Member

I can't think of any others than the ones you've already thought of.. but the ones you've thought of sure hit the nail on the head..