This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bands you never knew existed

Discussion in 'Old School Metal Discussion' started by MetalAges, Feb 17, 2016.

1. MetalAges

MetalAges Metal Is As Metal Does.
    Staff Member

Even though I have been listening to and buying Metal since the mid 80s, I continuously come across bands I never knew of from back in the day. Some I had heard of but never listened to, others I completely knew nothing about.

Only in the last year have I gotten into vinyl (kill me now, too much out there!), so I've started by collecting a lot of my fav bands from the 80s, or classic 80s stuff in general.

I just got a shipment in with mostly stuff I had never herd nor heard about. I love it!

Bands were:

Boss - Step On It
    Siren - Financial Suicide
    Joined Forces - Show & Tell
    Pierce - S/T and II
    Spys - S/T, Behind Enemy Lines

I have more I am watching - almost feels like reliving the excitement from long ago :)

What are some of the bands some of you have come across that fit into this scenario?

TheMick likes this.
  2. Wyvern

Wyvern Master of Disaster
    Staff Member

Not as old, but just happened to me.

Steel Horse - "Wild Power" (2009): band from Spain I never heard about and they kick ass with great traditional metal, 80's drenched, as good as Night Demon (USA) or Axxion (CAN).

Also some bands I recently started to like and never heard before in my life:

Nigromante - "Black Magic Night" (2013): another band from Spain, also very 80's infused but more ala Running Wild.
    Blackholicus - "Megaforte" (2009): a mix of prog and traditional, with both instrumental and female fronted sung tunes, from USA.
    Alliance - "Stand In My Way" (2009): a mix of prog and thrash from a one man project, from USA.
    I Compagni Di Baal - "I Compagni Di Baal" (2012): I bought this Italian band album by mistake looking for another band with an album by the same name. Excellent mix of prog, doom and rock sung in Italian.
    Natur - "Head Of Death" (2012): heavy metal with slight doom/dark influences, from USA.
    Atomik Destruktor - "Unnatural Disorder" (2015): excellent thrash from Portugal.

Bands I got over the years without any knowledge of what it was beforehand:

Imperium (NL), Iron Clad (BE), Killer Khan (US), Wicked Angel (CA), Made Of Iron (GR), Moon Of Steel (IT), Miles Beyond (US), Bone Shaker (US), Misery Inc. (FI), Northwinds (FR), Obstruction (HU), Ossian (HU), Ostrogoth (BE), Overlorde (US), Rival (US), Warning S.F. (US), Titanium Black (US), Salem's Wych (US), Ultimatum (CA), Savage Blade (CA), Serum (DE), Slammer (UK), Solaris (HU), Stygian Shore (US), Tarot (AU), The Coffinshakers (SE), Turbo (PL), Valkija (IT), Bakken (IE), Blöden-Wedd (CL), Chainsaw (NL), Chuch Of Misery (JP), Diphtheria (CY), Gross Reality (US), Final Stage (CA), Stimulans (HR), Fraise (SE), Hammerheart (SK), Hellcats (SI), Malediction (FR), Horrorscope (PL).

MetalAges likes this.
  3. poundingmetal74

poundingmetal74 Demons Will Fly

I feel the same way about Japanese metal. There are bands which are HUGE in Japan that I made never heard of in 15 years of listening to metal.

MetalAges and Wyvern like this.
  4. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

I discovered a lot of NWOBHM bands when the mp3 craze hit, but in 2014 I took another look and discovered some more obscure ones such as:

Blackmayne
    Chariot
    Karrier
    Millennium
    Money
    Ritual
    Spartan Warrior

Before that I picked up some other recommendations like High Tension, Chateaux, Oz and Riot.

2 bands I only discovered in the last couple of years are the NY band Crisis (thanks to this forum), and Nocturnus.

MetalAges and Wyvern like this.
  5. MetalAges

MetalAges Metal Is As Metal Does.
    Staff Member

And the scary thing is, a lot of this stuff I am coming across (as I am sure you all as well) is actually quite awesome!

Wyvern likes this.
  6. KMADD

KMADD The Ancient Metalhead

Recently the Chicago doom and post black metal and death metal scenes like.
    The Atlas Moth
    Morgue Supplier
    Wolvhammer
    Cardiac Arrest
    Chrome Waves

7. TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER Halcyon Way Sufferer

Bloopy likes this.
  8. TheMick

TheMick Member

I agree. Those bands that got past your radar. That's the joy of metal. Discovering old bands that are new to you. I'm more into the 80s heavy metal, thrash or power metal. If anyone has some obscure bands from that era that I may like please clue me in. Thanx!

9. Half_Can

Half_Can Member

There's an old school band called 'Fist' and they're pretty good, not great, but just good. Here are some other obscure metal bands from the 80's to check out:

Hexx
    Medieval
    Tyton
    Attacker
    Warlord

#9 Half_Can, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    TheMick likes this.
  10. TheMick

TheMick Member

I dig Hexx and ive only heard of Attacker. I will check out the others to. Thanx !

11. CiG

CiG So Long Suckers

You guys know/like Leviticus, Simson or Attack from Germany?

12. Wyvern

Staff Member

I suppose you are referring to the Canadian outfit (aka Myofist), because the NWOBHM Fist is quite known IMO.

Warlord is very well known, cult as can be, but not obscure IMO (if we are talking of the USA band of course)

13. Bryant

Bryant Mr. Sleepy

I don't normally want to go "non-oldschool" but had it not been for a music festival I go to every year, I probably would not have been introduced to Tad Morose. They had a three disc run that was so good, I have to put them in this thread. Undead, Matters of the Dark and Modus Vivendi is their three releases I am speaking of. All three of them ripped my head off and then shit down my neck !! It is a combination of heavy American powermetal with European powermetal drums and backing vocals.

Bryant

14. aptryne

aptryne New Metal Member

15. Chuggingpus

Chuggingpus New Metal Member

To the original poster, my cousin Eddie (RIP) started that band Spys after he was kicked out of Foreigner. Foreigner did an interview on the Tonight Show and Eddie was asked some questions (he was just the bass player!) and I guess the top bill members of Foreigner felt he talked too much and he got the boot shortly after! The lead off track on the first Spys album, Desiree, charted back in the day. For those of your who like keyboard heavy AOR with some hard rock trimmings.

16. Wyvern

Staff Member

Agincourt