This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bass Editing - Any tips?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by schismatic, Feb 10, 2014.

1. schismatic

schismatic Kintsugi is coming

I've just finished tracking bass and I am about to edit in Reaper. Can anybody provide any advice with respect to:

• Best editing techniques to use in Reaper (for tightening timing)?
    • Tips relating to getting the bass tight with the drums?
    • Editing to grid?

2. colonel_claypoo

slip edit and rather be late then early in relation to the grid/kick.

3. Machinated

Machinated Member

only edit what needs doing. use your ears not your eyes. edit to the drums, a loop of the right groove, or the grid in that order of importance.

its completely context dependent so decide what aesthetic is best for what you are aiming for and do that.

4. ArthurD

ArthurD Member

Usually, I use the slip editing method to lock the bass with the kick.

5. schismatic

Thanks guys, that's helpful. Any preferences on the best way to slip edit with Reaper? I've tried it before but I'm not sure I'm doing it completely correctly. I guess there is nothing like Pro Tools beat detective available that could help?

6. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

it's also useful to adjsut volume while editing if you have the parts already sliced

7. AzzaDutt

AzzaDutt Member

I wouldn't use beat detective on bass. I prefer to listen to it and only move sections that are really noticeably out. Move the kik track next to the bass track so you have a reference right there, then just cut on the transient nudge it so it's more in time, extend the audio back to fill the gaps and adjust the fades.

8. mharwood

mharwood Member

I have REAPER setup so I can hold ALT all the way through the process. ALT + mouse scroll wheel moves me forward/backward in time, ALT + S splits the item wherever I have my mouse cursor at the time, and ALT + click allows me to move shit around. Ridiculously fast and easy once you get the hang of it.

9. schismatic

That setup sounds ideal! - Any chance you could tell me which actions I need to map to those keyboard shortcuts in Reaper?

Also, what's the general process? From what I understand, you find the transient, split it, then you need to move the transient to where you want to align it.

What I'm not clear on is what happens to the audio either side of the split. Does the audio before the split move back (therefore becoming out of time), or does it stretch to fit? What about the audio after the split - does that also stretch to fit?

I'm worried that I could make something that sounds totally unnatural, or find myself with a track that is totally out of time.

10. ArthurD

ArthurD Member

Guys how do you apprach kick and bass?
    I mean, do you edit bass to the kick initial transient, to the attack or to match the lows?

11. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

The beauty of slip editing is that you can move audio around inside it's little region. But yes, if you split an item and slip the audio, everything after the split would be off unless you create 2 splits. But I normally edit entire tracks so start from the beginning and work your way to the end. Just be sure to check with a playback now and then because I've spent like an hour already editing drums and then realize there were extra/not enough kick hits in that passage and end up with a real screwed up track. Nothing worse than having to do the work twice.

12. crillemannen

crillemannen Member

I usually make the bassguitar fit with the guitars. Its important that the bass and kick also are locked on to each other. Usually you can just move the bass transient to say the kick/grid and the crossfade it. If it is really well played you can use beatdetective without any problem.

13. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Monitor through an amp sim. Sometimes when you stretch notes (you can't always slip edit everything) the low end can drop out but you won't hear it on the DI for whatever reason.

14. ArthurD

ArthurD Member

Devin towsend makes it a bit berofe or after, cant remember well

15. mharwood

mharwood Member

I'll look up the actions when I get home to my music comp.

As bryan_kilco said, usually when slip editing you would do the entire track from start to finish. You start at the first transient and create the split. You can then slide the audio that lies after the split point backward/forward without altering anything before the split point. This will, of course, move things downstream as well, but again the idea is to do the whole track, so you'd just move on to the next transient and repeat the process. Ideally, if the track is played fairly decently to begin with, you never really move anything THAT much, so nothing should get thrown off too bad. I always listen periodically, though, to make sure that everything's still ok.

If you just want to edit a couple of hits/transients without altering anything else, it would be better to simply split the beginning and the end of the section you want to nudge and then slide things around within that.

Either way, you'll need some sort of reference in the same window as the audio you want to edit. Generally when I do bass, this will be the kick drum track. Of course this means you need to get the kick track/rest of the drums grooving the way you want them to before doing the bass, so if you're not happy with your drum track, fix it first. Otherwise, it's really just as simple as slice, align, and scroll on to the next transient. Choosing the split points will become second nature with a little practice. Generally, if a transient is late (i.e., I want to move it back), I'll split the audio right before where I want the transient to end up, and then drag it back. If the transient is early, I'll split right before the transient itself and then move it forward. You'll want to turn "auto-crossfade on split" on as well, so that it crates a crossfade with every split.

I know Adam Wathan used to have a couple of good REAPER slip-editing demos on YouTube, which might be worth checking out.

16. schismatic

Awesome guys. Just tried it out and I'm happy man :) - results! Bass is tiiiiiiiiiiight. Thanks for all your inputs.....

17. ArthurD

ArthurD Member

+1

18. mharwood

mharwood Member

Awesome, glad to hear it worked out well! Here's how I have my keyboard setup:

ALT+Mousewheel: Scroll horizontally (which is the default action in REAPER, I believe).

Alt+Click: "Slip" item (i.e. move the item withing itself). This should also be default.

ALT+S: Custom action combining three things: "Item: Select item under mouse cursor," "View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor (no snapping)," and "Item: split items at edit cursor (select right)."

This action allows me to move the mouse exactly where I want to split without worrying about where the edit cursor is, what's currently selected, or whether snapping is enabled. Just move the mouse over it and hit S; split goes right where the mouse cursor was, and the item to the right is selected and ready for moving.

19. melovine

melovine Member

Any tips for finding the bass transient on the di in logic?

20. FrankTheSmith

FrankTheSmith Member

I don't use logic, but I have my "T" key set for splitting and play the bass track and tap the T when a transient comes up. The accuracy depends on your timing though.

Kinda like this guy at 1:36

#20 FrankTheSmith, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015