This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best amp/pedal for practicing & recording

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by shal, Apr 13, 2007.

1. shal

shal New Metal Member

Hi guys and gals. I am having trouble finding a good setup to practice my metal riffs at a low volume. my marshall 2x12 amp has way too much thump, and my little roland microcube has NO thump. i use the killer Z (metal zone) setting on the PODXT with both, and it sounds ok. i wonder if the digitech deathmetal pedal would be better. let me know if you guys have any ideas for a solution to my problems. thanks

2. xenophobe

xenophobe Active Member

Well, the best setup for practice may not be the best setup for recording.

Perhaps a tube recording preamp of some sort, a SansAmp or something similar might be what you're looking for. Best to go to your local music store and try some things out.

3. shal

shal New Metal Member

Hey. yeah i tried out a smaller Sansamp at the local store. it sounded kinda rough around the edges to be honest. but i've haven't tried out their preamps. i heard they were excellent. what would i just that with my amp on a clean channel or? when i use the pod that way, i have to use "no" amp or cab otherwise it sounds like a mess. I would have got a tube amp but from what i can tell they are extremely loud, and only sound good when cranked. i just want a high gain sound that isn't ear piercing. i'm pretty limited to what i can try out in the stores here. ost of the amps i've tried seem to give you one or the other- crunch or smooth high end. not both at the same time. maybe the sound i'm searching for doesnt't exist.

4. Igor Dead

Igor Dead New Metal Member

Ibanez Valbee, I have one, it's got a huge sound. You'll laugh when you see it, but wait till you hear it.