This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best Judas Priest Era??

Discussion in 'Old School Metal Discussion' started by MrGlam999Metal, Dec 21, 2008.

?

Best Priest Era??

1. 70's

33 vote(s)
    70.2%
  2. 80's

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. 90's

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. 00's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Trans-Siberian Outcast

70s Priest for me too! I enjoy all their 70s output, including Rocka Rolla, while their 80s stuff started out good, but faded into bubble gum metal with Turbo Lover and Ram It Down. Painkiller was a nice comeback, but that was their last great album IMO.

2. Wyvern

Wyvern Master of Disaster
    Staff Member

Wasn't actually a comeback since the band played without major interruptions since their debut, but was definitively their last great album and SHOULD have been the swan song for the band. Think about that what a way to quit a career! (same with Iron Maiden and SSOASS).

3. Heavy Metal Rich

I'd say the '80s was the best era for them as a band but its hard to say when their best song era was. They've consistently put out great songs and albums, with a few exceptions of course. And really they still are.

4. Frost Giant

Frost Giant The Winter's Wrath

I'll commit metal heresy and say 90's era. Painkiller is my favorite Priest album, and I also thought the two albums with Ripper were woefully underrated and unfairly demonized because Halford wasn't on them. But as a drummer primarily, I think Scott Travis > Dave Holland any day, he made a huge difference in Priest.

5. poundingmetal74

poundingmetal74 Demons Will Fly

I don't think people dislike the two ripper albums because of no Halford, I think they dislike them because they were horribly mediocre. I thought Jugulator was decent, but Demolition more or less sucked.

And yes, Travis > Holland. I thought Les Binks was a fantastic drummer as well, not quite as skilled as Travis mind you, but he had fantastic feel.

6. TheKorruptor

TheKorruptor Member

Well, it was a comeback album in the sense that Turbo and Ram it Down were pretty weak and Painkiller was a return to the awesomeness of Defenders of the Faith.

Finally someone voted for the 90's!
    Painkiller of course is excellent.. but I also think Jugulator is strongly underrated.. it's very different from everything prior to it.. but what Priest album isn't, honestly?
    Demolition on the other hand.. I think it's basically abysmal..

By the way.. I don't think anyone thinks Dave Holland is remarkable in anyway.. he's just good at keeping time or something.. :)

7. Trans-Siberian Outcast

True, by "comeback" I meant they got back to their quality songwriting roots. And, of course, I'll disagree on the Maiden as always. But we've already debated Matter of Life and Death till we're blue in the face, no sense going down that road again! :saint:

8. Wyvern

Staff Member

I think most will agree on this subject, but I would elevate Lester Binks more since he also composed in the band. If you read the credits for 'Beyond The Realms Of Death' are Binks/Halford, one of the best songs of the band IMO.

9. poundingmetal74

poundingmetal74 Demons Will Fly

Oh I know he wrote Beyond the Realms of Death (with an upside down guitar!) but I was speaking purely in terms of drumming.

10. TheKorruptor

TheKorruptor Member

It's so hard to compare Les Binks to Scott Travis because their styles are so different. I don't think Travis would do well in a 70's styled Heavy Metal band.. and I don't think Binks could play the fastest stuff on Painkiller.. in the end it all comes down to personal preference.. and I love the unorthodox metal drumming on Saints in Hell or Delivering the Goods. Go Binks!

11. Wyvern

Staff Member

Since we are at this and making an slight detour. What do you think of Simon Phillips drumming in SAS? I know the production has been attacked on that album but putting that aside. I consider Simon a great session drummer.

12. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

Agreed! He's no standout (imo) but he is solid...

13. bt9x

bt9x Member

i'm with you guys on that note!

back on main topic--i like 70's the most

14. Acdcpwns

Acdcpwns Member

I didn't see much on their new album nostradomas which I found amazing, but ya I agree with most of the other people here the 70's were great for Priest and without those albums I don't even know where metal would be

15. Liverslapper

Ah, tough choice......I can't decide.

16. Priest of Evil

Priest of Evil Adores the Number 666

OK, I've chosen the 80's. After thinking long and hard its the decade I came to know and love them. I wasn't until later in the piece that I did alot of catching up of their 70's work which I must say is phenomonal and I have much love for it.

So it was really hard decision and maybe its comes down to nostalgia but at the end of the day I really love the party atmosphere of the 80's era.

Turbo & Ram it Down are as enjoyable to me as Killing Machine or Sin after Sin. Screaming for Vengeance & Defenders of the Faith kick as much butt as Sad Wings & Stained Class but its all so good to me that it's most likely a nostalgia call.

Oh and Painkiller single handedly makes the 90's another incredible decade for Priest!:headbang:

17. Puckfiend

Puckfiend Mini Ross Halfin

70s for Stained Class, Sad Wings and Sin After Sin. :worship:

18. odinswede

odinswede METAL UNITE US ALL!

Damn hard to make a choice there but I voted for the 70:s, much because of Sad wings of Destiny, the best album with Priest.

19. striker666

striker666 Edward

i voted 90's because of painkiller there isnt one song on that album i rated under 4/5 stars.
    i agree that scott travis is a much better drummer than dave holland too, and i like scott tonnes more especially after hearning about dave holland being in prison after having sex with some boy who got drum lessons from him:ill:

20. Whiplash402

Whiplash402 Supreme Ruler

best 3 priest albums