This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Black Metal.

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by ROBL2500, Dec 24, 2006.

1. thisisaformicatable

thisisaformicatable New Metal Member

So should we give up just like that? Can't we analyze the music? Can't we interpret it? Can't we read what the artist has written and listen to what he has said?

Cage may have been just trying to be different, but what about his Buddhism, nichi nichi kore kōnichi and all that? There are plenty of things he was trying to express through his music. And minimalism did catch on.

Again, art vs. entertainment. The bearing on the music in your scenario is that you, the artist, failed to achieve your goal. Unsurprisingly, the music was poor as a result.

2. Life Sucks

Life Sucks and then you die

I think Transylvanian Hunger is one of their least accessible, since it is their most raw and minimalistic. Panzerfaust strikes me as decidedly different from the rest of their black metal albums, and I agree that it may be the most accessible. Half of the songs sound like less raw Transylvanian Hunger material, and the other half sound like Celtic Frost, almost like it's two different albums mixed into one.

3. Life Sucks

A Blaze in the Northern Sky is pure black metal. Panzerfaust is more black metal than ABITNS, particularly the ones with Celtic Frost influence.

4. Slayed Necros

Best post on this page. Arckanum slays.

5. hibernal_dream

hibernal_dream A Mind Forever Voyaging

Since when does me failing to achieve my goals have anything to do with the actual music as the listener interprets it?

6. hibernal_dream

hibernal_dream A Mind Forever Voyaging

Reasoning pls

7. Life Sucks

The technique, the production, and the vocals. Hell, even the riffs.

8. CF87

CF87 Active Member

I agree.

I am pretty sure after Soulside Journey Darkthrone scraped 'goatlord' because they felt death metal bands were about being political correct and wearing shorts(seems directed to just florida death metal) and the band felt they did not fit with the scene so they decided to play pure black metal and wrote' a blaze in the nothern sky'. I think Darkthrone had a more black metal attitude and style since the beginning anyways so it was bound to happen

9. MasterOLightning

MasterOLightning Optimator

Darkthrone admits that there are still some leftover death metal riffs that made it into ABITNS. Plenty of black metal bands have some death metal or thrash metal riffs though. ABITNS is still black metal.

I would say ABITNS is much more raw than Transilvanian Hunger.

10. thisisaformicatable

thisisaformicatable New Metal Member

:confused: Your goal was to make a genius piece of music, but (due to your ineptness?) you produced crap (read: bad music). Probably choosing a vague and ambiguous goal didn't help you. Hey, it's your scenario.

11. unknown

unknown fuck ftagn

this is probably one of the few times I actually enjoy reading Dark Throne arguments

12. Troll_Forest

Troll_Forest New Metal Member

...and so does Graveland!

13. Life Sucks

True. Very often a black metal band will have some death metal riffs, or a death metal band will have some black metal riffs. ABITNS is definitely overall black metal. The songs the strike me particularly as having some death metal riffs are Kathaarian Life Code and The Pagan Winter. Then there are some songs like Where Cold Winds Blow, that contain no trace of death metal.

14. Hubster

Hubster ...

:lol:

A Blaze In the Northern Sky is totally cock rockin' super nekro Black Metal. A fucking brilliant album :kickass:

15. Hubster

Hubster ...

Fukken oath! :kickass:

16. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious Pants full of poo

+4 :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

17. Crimson Velvet

Crimson Velvet Sønn av Syperi

Well, the state of the Norwegian society is vastly different now than it was for fifteen, twenty years ago. Obviously, an enormous cultural heritage isn't going to be enough to produce good black metal; other factors come into play as well. I suppose the early Norwegian black metal bands were just the right people at the right time and at the right place.

As for you, V5, my post was of course somewhat exaggerated, but that doesn't change the FACT that the general message remains true. If you think black metal bands today have the same motivation behind their art as the black metal musicians had fifteen years ago, you are even dumber than I took you for.

That said, if you think I am going to take criticism from a fifteen year old american boy like yourself, you are incredibly deluded. Please bear in mind, I have loved and lived this genre for as long as you have been alive and I am in a far greater position than yourself to put its evolution into context. I understand your need to defend your favourite bands, and I bear you no ill will for that, but please, don't overestimate your own weight in this matter. There is still something to be said about wisdom of the ages.

18. Crimson Velvet

Crimson Velvet Sønn av Syperi

Exactly. "Death metal riffs" doesn't mean much if they're not in a death metal setting.

19. Hubster

Hubster ...

+8 - Will Stronger Than Death is fucking killer!

:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:
    :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

20. George

George Member

Here's an interesting documentary that is being streamed. It's about Gaahl from Gorgoroth as a person. The first two parts are mostly a background about Black Metal, and really aren't different from anything else we've heard. The other parts though are quite interesting as they are all about Gaahl and his personal life.

Part 1: http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=769427891&bccl=NDEyODIxMzEzX19NVVNJQw
    Part 2: http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=769452962&bccl=NDEyODIxMzEzX19NVVNJQw
    Part 3: http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=769393903&bccl=NDEyODIxMzEzX19NVVNJQw
    Part 4: http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=791890240&bccl=NDEyODIxMzEzX19NVVNJQw

I believe there are 5 parts in total. The 5th will be uploaded soon I hope. Enjoy.