This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Black Sabbath - I don't get it

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Life Sucks, Aug 22, 2007.

1. AchrisK

AchrisK Weakling

But what does "ahead" mean? Music is more than a mathematical arrangement of tones. Sabbath created art that moves many many people deeply. It's something that no musician can achieve purely from technically proficiency or musical theory. Do you understand that? Do you only listen to music on a technical level? If so, THAT is what you're missing.

2. Life Sucks

Life Sucks and then you die

What is this "combination of sounds and themes?" Most Sabbath songs still were based in the panatonic blues scale, just like hard rock. And their music also wasn't any faster than hard rock. Sure, they explored occult and political themes in some of their songs, but so did some hard rock bands at the time. They still had plenty of songs about women. In fact, they have many songs that I would consider hard rock, and not metal, though songs such as Into the Void, Children of the Grave, and War Pigs are undeniably metal.

3. Life Sucks

No, I don't listen to metal just for technicality. The music of bands like Deathspell Omega, Mourning Beloveth, Primordial, Abyssic Hate, etc. moves me. Black Sabbath, though I like them, do not strike a chord in me. To my ears it's like heavy rock n roll, and lacks any true emotion for the most part.

4. hibernal_dream

hibernal_dream A Mind Forever Voyaging

Black Sabbath was still heavily grounded in blues music as was all rock music of the time. The reason I don't like them all that much is because i'm not a huge blues fan. But yes, they are important and yes, they are talented.

5. Life Sucks

Exactly. I like Sabbath, but they are nowhere near a favorite of mine, largely because they are so heavily blues influenced. I don't like rock or hard rock, because it is basically modernized blues.

6. thisisaformicatable

thisisaformicatable New Metal Member

Cynical, depressive, romanticized occult, morbid etc. themes combined with "heavy", oppressive, aggressive, contemplative etc. sounds. Tritone + "Satan's sitting there, he's smiling." The general basis of metal.

Sabbath were the first band to put the sounds and themes together. If you are having that hard of a time telling the difference between Sabbath and Zeppelin then I suggest you go do some extensive listening. And what does being "faster than hard rock" have to do with anything? Are you sure you just don't like music that isn't technically and compositionally complex, something of a musician's bias if you will?

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

They're not my fav band either, but they were one of the first bands I ever listened to, so they got me into metal. Also, they wrote some fucking great songs, and some fucking ace albums. I prefer bands like Zeppelin and Purple over them, but still I love em.

8. Life Sucks

Oh, I can tell the difference between Sabbath and Zeppelin. Zeppelin is pure rock - lighter, blues based upbeat music where women and sex are the sole lyrical focus. Most of Sabbath's songs are darker (both musically and lyrically) and heavier. Most of Sabbath's songs are metal, whereas almost none of Zeppelin's songs are. I don't only like technically complex music. For instance, I hate Suck Theater, but love Darkthrone. And I never said I don't like Sabbath. I do like them, but simply feel that they aren't the best metal band of all time.

9. thisisaformicatable

Zeppelin I mention as an example of a contemporary hard rock band - a genre which you seem to feel was not significantly different from what Black Sabbath was doing at the time. The significance lies in the fact that no band before combined the sounds and themes of metal in the way Black Sabbath did, making the progression they made much more notable than the evolution of (say) death metal out of thrash.

10. Ender Rises

Ender Rises Wass sappening?

Athens, Greece. I wish. Athens, Texas, in cruel re
    Why is it that people obsess over lyrical themes? Lyrical themes can help define a genre but do not make or break said genre. Opeth has songs about women, I.E. Face of Melinda and Harvest, and I'm sure there are plenty of metal songs about sex.

11. Dee Snarl

Dee Snarl Enormous Member

Well said. Obviously they're not the most technical or whatever band, but in my humble opinion they are the best metal band ever, and the best rock band ever, after the Beatles. I do give historical importance a lot of credence, but then my #3 is Opeth, so what are you gonna do??

12. CF87

CF87 Active Member

Technical musical proficiency has nothing to do with music skill or talent. Anyone can sit around and be a technical guitarist or musician, but can they or could they have wrote original music or the music that black sabbath wrote not really. I think for the most part no metal bands maybe a few are really up there in terms of writing and playing music. Tony Iommi is better than any 'metal guitarist' and is a genuine guitarist and guitarist like him are rare.

13. audiophileguy

audiophileguy Member

i feel sorry for you

14. Vacant_Planets

Vacant_Planets Queen Nicole

Completely agree. Though I don't like them at all, and this is why.

"Anyone can sit around and be a technical guitarist or musician" - False. And rather a song is catchy or not is an opinion.

15. Hatebreeder

Hatebreeder Pizzicato Heartstrings

It is stupid to deny the influence they had or the talent they had for writing songs, but I think their relevance ended with the 70s. Once Ozzy realized people liked him and no matter what he did would be heralded as original and amazing, Black Sabbath died.

16. Pitiless Wanderer

Pitiless Wanderer Active Member

i havent read anything else in this thread besides your initial post, mainly because i dont have time right now, but ill say that i agree with you 100% because theyve got to be one of the most boring bands ever.

17. Vacant_Planets

Vacant_Planets Queen Nicole

I think that's a good point, by the late 70s other bands emerged victors over BS.

18. thisisaformicatable

Sabbath's only important era was up to 1975, after that the main problem was the realization that yes, you can do too many drugs. They have had solid moments since then although nothing comparing to their classic era, but what they did during those first years surpasses most bands of the last half century in terms of influence, relevance and historical importance.

19. Rabid Headbanger

Rabid Headbanger New Metal Member

No, the downfall of sabbath was cocaine.

20. AgoliantLives

AgoliantLives Aint that a daisy?

I've noticed the only metal bands many people listen to who think Sabbath is the best are Pantera, Megadeth, and Metallica. In other words, they only listen to the tip of the metal iceberg.

I don't see posters on serious metal forums claiming Sabbath or any metal band to be the best because such claims are nonsense.

Black metal owns Sabbath in this regard.