This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Black Sabbath - I don't get it

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Life Sucks, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Unfaithfully Metalhead

Welcome back Nick... btw where are your catfish pics? ...

2. Unfaithfully Metalhead

That really is a opinion I think because to me it did have a impact and to others.

I would but we can't speak for others now can we? :lol:

3. Hell Awaits Us All

Hell Awaits Us All New Metal Member

hey the catfish dude is back

sup catfish dude?

4. GoldenDrumer456

GoldenDrumer456 TheCatholicMetalhead

I always thought Black Sabbath was over-rated a little.

5. thisisaformicatable

thisisaformicatable New Metal Member

It isn't an opinion - early Sabbath represents the invention of an entire genre, in terms of historical importance those albums did, objectively, have a greater impact than Heaven And Hell. There are other ways that Dio-era Sabbath may have the advantage, but you can't seriously argue that Heaven And Hell revolutionized metal in the way that the first six albums did.

Your last post implied that you wouldn't, but lol...its all opinions... :loco: ...

6. 1TON

1TON Member

sabbath is still one of my favorite groups.
    even tho i dont play there albulms alot anymore i still respect them and enjoy the music as tho it came out last year .....let alone over 35years ago.

if you didnt grow up with them back then it would be understandable why you may not like there songs and sound as much as any new "metal" music.

how do you guys/girlz who are only into the modern metal think your music would be viewed by your children and grandchildren....and great grand children:zombie:

let me tell you that there will be a day when some young punk like yourselves will come up to you and completely diss your favorite band because they are "old skool" and arent or never was as good as there metal....lol.....ive been there already. two generations over.:erk:

in fact i will predict that there will NEVER be a another group that will be given credit for creating a genuinely unique genre of music that will lead to a multitude of other sub-genres and influences that will forever last the tests of time like a band such as black sabbath.:Smokin:

.so enjoy your modern "(insert particular metal sub genre name here) metal".
    cause one day it will be obsolete
    if not completely forgotten in 40 years.

the legacy and legend of :worship: black sabbath:worship: will live on way past you,me, and any metal band from today.

7. AchrisK

AchrisK Weakling

Yeah, that's why I said it was "young" and didn't say something like dumb :)

I am only partially familiar with Bark at the Moon, which was pretty cool. I am not even sure what came next. Was it that one where he was spitting out the cranberry sauce?

8. Unfaithfully Metalhead

No :lol: The cranberry sauce one was the Speak of the Devil live album with Brad Gillis of Night Ranger.... it was before Bark at the Moon. But seriously you should listen to the whole Bark at the Moon album and the one after it (The Ultimate Sin) which had both Jake E. Lee on them. Jake was a excellent guitarist and filled Randy's shoes perfectly unlike Zakk who just plain sucks :lol:

9. Unfaithfully Metalhead

I never said the first 6 albums didn't. I just said H&H had it's own impact in it's own way.

Maybe I implied it or maybe you just can't read that I said I would consider them so but that OTHERS wouldn't. :cool:

10. Thoth-Amon

Thoth-Amon Hypochondriac

Agreed. This was my problem initially when I got into metal in high school. It didn't match up with the more extreme stuff I was into... i.e. Slayer, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, etc. But in time BS grew on me and now I think they are clearly one of the great metal bands.

11. J.

J. Old Fart

Perhaps these questions should be asked to those that dislike Sabbath:

How old are you?
    What year did you first start listening to metal?

12. thisisaformicatable

thisisaformicatable New Metal Member

It surely did, I just hope we agree that Heaven And Hell isn't as historically significant or influential as the first six.

When I said your *last* post I was referring to *this* post, where I'm sure you can understand how one could get the impression that you don't consider their impact to be of great significance ("in any other genre of rock...or rock in general I would have to say no."). I'm glad you clarified.

13. Unfaithfully Metalhead

Definetly.... If they got into extreme metal from the start then it is difficult for them to appreciate the past that is not so extreme in sound etc... Though really Sabbath was extreme for their era in those early years of 1968 to 1975.

14. Dee Snarl

Dee Snarl Enormous Member

Yup.

There really is a fundamental difference between old- and new-school metal (duh). I can't imagine having discovered Cannibal before Maiden. Big generation gap, there. Different worlds.

Ozzy's first 2 solo albums are essential, up through Ultimate Sin they are very good, the rest is a bunch of radio pap. He needs to retire for real this time.

15. Life Sucks

Life Sucks and then you die

I do NOT dislike Sabbath. In fact, I like Sabbath; it's just that I wouldn't rank them anywhere close to being the best band of all time. But, I turned 30 at the beginning of March, and got into metal via Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and thrash many many years ago. Before that, I briefly listened to the 80s hard rock/glam, but quickly started listening to harder stuff.

16. Life Sucks

Yes, what Dodens said makes a lot of sense. Similarly, there are a lot of people that are into classic rock and not metal, that love Black Sabbath. And Black Sabbath is one of the only metal bands they like and appraciate. This is because, as Dodens already said, Sabbath forged their sound from the hard rock of the time (adding their own evil twist to it). And with their own decidedly harder and darker take on rock, they created metal. For this reason, the rock influence is more than obvious in their sound. But despite the strong rock influence, I do like Sabbath, though I don't like rock. And since I don't like rock, yes, it would be most likely that I don't rank Sabbath as the best metal band of all time.

That being said, this made me think about how metal was spawned by rock, and evolved to be something that doesn't resemble rock at all. Logically, Sabbath sounded like rock, being the first metal band, while listening to something like Deathspell Omega, no rock influence is evident at all. Sabbath were influenced directly by rock, and extreme metal bands were influenced by bands who were influced by bands who were influenced by Sabbath. Extreme metal and the earliest metal are almost two completely different genres of music.

17. Carcassian

Carcassian Utopian Blaster

Incisive

18. CF87

CF87 Active Member

What metal guitarists after Tony Iommi do you see as or think are better guitarists ?

19. Life Sucks

Disregarding the great influence Black Sabbath had on metal, I think that there are many many guitarist better than Tony Iommi, particularly in terms of technical prowess. There are too many to list.

20. Carcassian

Carcassian Utopian Blaster

...and how many better with only two full fingers on their hands ? (Albeit this is a shit argument, and I beg you to ignore me in my intoxicated state_)