This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Blessthefall - 'Hollow Bodies'

Discussion in 'Production' started by Daybreak, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Daybreak

Daybreak Member

Don't know why anyone created a thread about this album yet. Anyways, you can listen to the whole thing here:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...bodies-exclusive-album-premiere#disqus_thread

Personally I'm a fan of the music, and I think we can all agree that the production is pretty insane. Any info on what was used recording/mixing is very welcome, but I'm gonna make a guess and say it's still Podfarm and Slate samples blended with a real kit? Sure sounds like it, at least!

2. cerealf

cerealf New Metal Member

3. Daybreak

Daybreak Member

Cool, thanks man!

So from what I see is the usual Sturgis setup... Tubescreamer -> Calie Diamond PLate - > Treadplate Cab 4x12 with Condenser Mic -> What I'm fairly sure is the "American Classic" preamp. Nice.

Adding a preamp after the amp is something I always do, although I tend to use the "Modern" preamp. It just makes it more tube-y and warmer!

4. cerealf

cerealf New Metal Member

you're welcome !
    You mean adding after the cab in the signal chain ? I'm gonna try this... Any setting or default ?

5. Daybreak

Daybreak Member

Yep, preamp directly after cab! I mostly just bring down the "Low Mid"-knob 1 or 2 DB's, with the frequency-knob set to default, to get rid of some boxyness and raise the "High Mid"-knob 1 or 2 DB's, with the frequency-knob all the way to the left (2.8 KHz), to add clarity. And then raise treble 1 or 2 DB's too. Don't know if I'm imagining this, but I find raising the treble on the preamp makes a more pleasant/smooth high-end than raising on the amp, haha. But these settings are of course very dependant on how your amp is set up, so play around some!

6. cerealf

cerealf New Metal Member

Thanks man, I need to imrpove my guitar tone, tips are always very helpful :)

7. Soundscaper11

Soundscaper11 Member

I actually prefer the American Classic. It's easier and faster to get things dialed in imo

8. Vice//Versa

Vice//Versa Dude among dudes

+1

The american classic is my preference. I just bump up the gain and do some minor knob turning and eureka! I use the british one on vocals too

9. Goodfellas453

Goodfellas453 Always The Understudy Vox

bass almost sounds programmed in this album

10. 3tuxedo

3tuxedo Senior Member

^this, same with Born of Osiris. If you go to Sneap's forum there is a guy with the stems to Machine and wow the bass is squashed to hell and back.

11. HaydenLM1

HaydenLM1 Member

I think that album sounds awesome, dnk what people are complaining about..

12. abaga129

abaga129 The Apprentice

I didn't really care for what I heard of it (only 3 songs). It might just be that I'm growing out of post-hardcore. I also was a bit disappointed with the new confide album and they are one of my favorites. I'm not sure if it is a joey production. It just seems like they lost that organic sound that set them apart from similar bands. Haha wow I got off topic fast.

13. Vice//Versa

Vice//Versa Dude among dudes

I know we're talking about the production here but my main issue with this record is the songwriting :/ People forget that having a good sounding recorded is secondary to having a well written record... and all the riffs, breakdowns and melodies here are less than memorable. Light's voice is awesome though :D and joey made her sound like an angel

14. Gujukal

Gujukal Member

Anyone know what they used for bass? Really dig the overdriven bass tone, it's really present in the mix but not overpowering.