This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Blessthefall - Open Water complete remake... Crits please!!

Discussion in 'Production' started by Soundscaper11, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Soundscaper11

Soundscaper11 Member

Hey guys, I did my own rendition of the Open Water track on Blessthefall's new album. It would really help to get some feedback on my vocal processing especially and other facets of my mix. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD2d_MY8z18

2. tmitchell33

tmitchell33 Member

I am liking this, nice and clean. Care to share your processing from hardware to DAW master? I would suggest probably a little more stereo imaging in the verse / chorus' for a bit more size, also some of the sibilance in your vox is being effected by your delay in an undesirable way. Also I love the guitar tone at 4:20? What have you done here, sounds very pro?

3. Soundscaper11

Soundscaper11 Member

Yeah I was going to do that for the chorus, but since I was technically "performing" this live. I didn't want to get too crazy with the effects. Just added an upper octave with melodyne for the bridge.

For the guitars I used Podfarm, and Superior Drummer with a Chango MMF kick sample. I also have hard panned cymbals with a huge mono bleed in the center to give it some umph.

Oh and I used Logic Pro's amp sims for all ambient guitaring

Thanks for checking it out!

4. sayocean

sayocean Member

The vocals sound a little dry to me, but other than that you did a great job!

5. Gujukal

Gujukal Member

Nice man, think u used a bit too much pitch correction on some parts though. It's really obvious when u're singing in falsetto .

6. Soundscaper11

Soundscaper11 Member

Haha yeah... But mix-wise how is it?

7. Gujukal

Gujukal Member

I think u have done a very good with giving the track a very ambient feel, with the instrument especially. The vocals could use some more reverb and delay is also great to make the vocals sound a bit bigger. Another thing that bothers me is the OH's and hihat. The OH's sounds a bit overwhelming @ 5:24 and ahead. The hihat is also a bit loud and could use more room to blend in better.

8. Soundscaper11

Soundscaper11 Member

Thank you! That's definitely what I was going for. Yeah I agree... I'm not very good at processing vocals for some reason. And I was kinda experimenting with having the drums overwhelm the mix, because the original version had pretty loud drums too. But from a non-biased standpoint I agree with you.

What do you think of the dynamic range? I automated the dynamics to be very liberal with a sidechain compressor, so it goes from like -18 rms in the verse to -10 in the chorus

Appreciate all the feedback guys!