This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis

Discussion in 'Metal Reviews' started by dill_the_devil, Jan 27, 2005.

1. dill_the_devil

dill_the_devil OneMetal.com Music Editor

Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis
    Earache Records - MOSH285CD - 2005
    By Philip Whitehouse

[​IMG]

First thing I want to say about this record - fuck me, I love this production. The guitars grind, growl and screech as though things possessed of sentience and malevolence, the drums clatter away with machine-gun like rapidity and consistency, and the bass guitar sounds like it was tuned to the key of Evil, all loose-stringed percussive clattering and ringing nastiness. It sounds like I always used to imagine death metal would sound before I got into it properly - like an imploding neutron star of malevolent intent, collapsing on itself with the listener in the centre. So, moving swiftly on...

Blood Red Throne is ex-Emperor players Dod and Tchort's baby, if I recall properly - an exercise in Norwegian artists replicating the Floridian old-school brutal death metal sounds with uncanny accuracy and an ear for a nasty-ass riff. Throw in some nice old-school effects (left and right channel switching guitar riffs, for instance, or a Carcass-like introductory piece, and you've got the ingredients for a thoroughly punishing album. Altered Genesis delivers in spades. Eye-Licker may have a god-awful title, but I'll be damned if that mid-tempo chug riff with the rolling kicks halfway through doesn't make for one evil groove... This entire album consists of nasty-ass grooves, pinned-to-the-wall intense riffage, down-tuned bombast and gloriously archaic attitude, wrapped up in that aforementioned pristine production.

If you're a fan of the Florida school of brutal death metal, you really need to have this in your collection.

8.5/10

Blood Red Throne Official Website
    Earache Records

2. Dr. Abner Mality

Dr. Abner Mality Primary Scare Physician

This fucker ripped my head off, used it for a soccer ball for about 50 minutes and then rammed it back up my alimentary canal! Hands down, the best pure death metal record I have heard for a long, LONG time! :OMG: :headbang:

One of the best records EVER from Earache!

3. Opeth17

Opeth17 Bill Ward's Red Pants

Wow, I hope I get to hear this pretty soon. Mid-tempo chugs and nasty ass grooves sound good to me. When this band is on, they ARE ON. Listen to "The Children Shall Endure" from the first record.

4. Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral we are children of god

Chained to this rock of a Brave New World
    This record kicks heaps of ass. Good shit.

Happy birthday thar dill!

5. dill_the_devil

dill_the_devil OneMetal.com Music Editor

6. None_So_Vile

None_So_Vile Malign Paradigm

Not as good as Monument of Death but still, it seriously owns, everything BRT have ever done fucking owns, they are the death metal ownage