This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Calculating string-gauges ... I don't get it

Discussion in 'Backline' started by JoeJackson, Feb 29, 2012.

1. JoeJackson

JoeJackson Member

Hey guys!

Can somebody please help me calculating corresponding string-gauges?

I used to use a Dunlop Zakk Wylde Set (.10, .13, .17, .36, .52, .60) for C#-Standard-Tuning (on a 25,5-neck).

Now I started a new project and we're going to tune to Drop-A (AND B-Standard for some songs). The Dunlop-Set is kind of okay for B-Standard, but the .60 tuned to A is horrible. I'm perfectly fine with the high strings beeing relatively "slack", but the bass-strings have to be pretty tense.

So, whats the equivalent string-gauge for A, when I loved the .60 on C# and am okay with it on B?

I downloaded the D'addario tension-guide, but ... well ... I'm not good with numbers and so I don't get it :D

2. heshian46

heshian46 Member

Im also curious about this kind of thing.

3. nezvers

nezvers Beast

hmm... for my ibanez rg350ex (if I remember right it is also 25,5 neck) .11 - .54 is ideal for drop A - high string is right tension and also same for low string. Also next thickness got too much tension on higher strings and ruin bending.
    So I think that string gouge compatibility depends on guitar.

4. aviel

aviel Member

i am curiuos too. just installed new strings in my eclipse. i used not even slinky by ernieball. its 012-0.60
    it horrible to play solos, can someone get used to it? or shall i just stick lower gauge?

5. JoeJackson

JoeJackson Member

Wow ... I play .52's tuned to E, man - I cannot imagine, how loose a .54 at A must be *haha*

I don't think the guitar itself has that much impact on string-tension. This is a pure physical/mathematical thing. The neck is 25.5" long -> string-tension is XY kg (or whatever string-tension is measured in).

6. JoeJackson

JoeJackson Member

Okay guys ... I found a tension-calculator that works beyond .56's.

http://hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

Edit:
    I'm such an idiot - I can't even use the calculator :D

For (mainly) Drop-A I could use a .70 - and I think it's okay to tune it up to B, too.

7. Red Phoenix

Red Phoenix Member

I like this calc: http://humanoid.ahmala.fi/software/

I use D'addario 12-54 for Drop B on my PRS 25". When i tune to Drop C with that strings bending is almost impossible and last time the high strings broke :D
    And i had two 25,5" Guitars. I used the same strings on both and the tension was not the same. I guess there are some other factors beside the scale length, but don't know..

8. StefTD

StefTD Member

.70 would be ok for me, but I like thick strings, I got no clue how some people are able to play Drop B with 0.54s
    on a PRS (no offense Red Phoenix ;) ) B on a 25,5" should be at least a 0.60 for me, anything lighter would fuck
    my playing up alot.

9. Red Phoenix

Red Phoenix Member

I hit my strings really hard so i take care that they are not flabby. On my 25,5" i have 60s and they aren't as strong as on my 25" with 54s. It's against math and i wouldn't believe it but it's obviously when i switch between them.

try the calc i posted. Its very easy to use and has all string gauges available

10. Executioner213

Executioner213 Ultimate Meatbag

I don't know well enough what the exact notes are, so this isn't helping me much. I know what the notes are, but not whether it's "A3" or "B2". Just something I don't know offhand...

11. JoeJackson

JoeJackson Member

Well, E2 is the "normal" E on a guitar. Downtuned it's D#2, D2, ..., B1, A#1, A1 and so on.
    Thanks for the other calculator-link.