This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Can you use two different power tubes in a 5150?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by JakeAC5253, May 28, 2013.

1. JakeAC5253

JakeAC5253 Frozen Sun Audio

I'm in the process of retubing my 5150 starting with the pre amp, and I'm debating playing with the power amp as well. I have Winged C 6L6 in there right now, but I have a few Sovtek 6L6 WXT that came out of it when I got it. I only have 3 because one broke and that's why they were replaced, so I can't just put the Sovteks back in to see how they sound. However, I'm thinking of being creative with it and pulling the outside two =C= and replacing them with the Sovteks. I don't think that would cause any damage since it's a push/pull system, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

2. Red Phoenix

Red Phoenix Member

I think as long as "one pair" (the outside ones or the inner ones) are matched tubes it could be fine. I never really thought about that. But you could go crazy and do a bias mod for every single tube if its possible :D Than you can bias all 4 tubes seperatly and should/could use 4 different tubes as long as you bias all correctly.

3. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

Brand shouldn't matter as long as they're pulling the same voltage; or near as they can be biased anyway.

4. lolzgreg

lolzgreg Cereal Shipping Sneapster

As long as they are around the same in plate current draw, you're good. I'm talking within 1-7mA or so. Ampeg used to just grab tubes out of a bin and shove them in their amps and they never had problems. The issue is, 5150s are prone to blowing screen grid resistors.