This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Carpet Cloud Ceiling - Would it work?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by YStSnapper, Jul 29, 2015.

1. YStSnapper

YStSnapper New Metal Member

Long story short, I just got a new space for my recording studio. My live room is about 15' x 20', and will need a good amount of acoustic treatment. I'm hoping to do so on a modest budget, and had a weird idea that I'm not sure would work or not.

I have a lot of 4' rolls of carpet that I got for free, and so I had an idea to create somewhat of a floating ceiling, by hanging 4'x4' or maybe 4'x6' sheets of carpet about 6" to 12" off of my 9'2" ceiling - either parallel to the floor or folded into hanging V's. I would probably do somewhat of a checkered on/off pattern, covering roughly half the ceiling's surface area. So my question is, WOULD THIS DO ANYTHING FOR ME?

In addition, I do plan on building floor-to-ceiling corner bass traps with 703, and will probably make up some absorption panels for the walls and the wall-ceiling joints. But I would save a ton of money if this floating carpet ceiling idea would actually work. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Machinated

Machinated Member

Basically pointless. You're ceiling is more likely to cause problems around 400-500hz. Dulling the ceiling with carpet will probably exaggerate that area more. Probably best to look at a diffuser or broadband absorber.

3. arvoitus

arvoitus Member

Carpet is very thin and doesn't absorb alot, it would only work in the high frequencies.

So to answer your question if it would do anything for you, you would first need to know what the problem areas in your room are.

4. xTomx

xTomx Member

Will only make the room worse.

Build some acoustic Rockwool panels, easy as hell. Maybe even float one of those if you're brave and confident of your workmanship.

5. waltz mastering

I don't think it would make it worse if you hang them in an upside down C pattern. Drooping like this > U but spread more.

On a low budget you got a do what you got a do, and the number one thing that you want to kill in a live room is flutter echo.

If you clap your hands once and hear a high pitched fast echo or boing, any absorbent material will help get rid of it. ..so it's a start. gl

6. Spectivum

Spectivum DisMember

Sell the carpet and buy more rockwool...