This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Chin Music Studios?

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by bryan.batiste, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryan.batiste

bryan.batiste Recording Junkie

My band is recording its EP at Chin Music Studios in Cleveland, OH this weekend and I've been doing some research. I see alot of metal/metalcore mixes coming out of the studio but my band is more alternative/punk rock. We are being engineered by the original guitarist of Forever In Terror (Johnny Burke) so thats pretty cool. I was just seeing if anybody here had any experience with this studio?

2. arv_foh

arv_foh Brian K

Don't let them sell you a management deal, a band I know who will remain nameless paid them $3000 for a year of "management" and got absolutely nothing in return. The recording they got from there wasn't stellar either, it sounded ok for the price, but it had completely programmed drums (with machine gun syndrome all over the place). The "master" sounded very poor even for an in-house master. They are crooks in my opinion, trying to rip off bands with promises of "label shopping" and "management" and I would stay away from them.

3. brianhood

brianhood No Care Ever

i've had no personal experience there, but i'm amused by the photo section of their myspace. They have like 8 difference pictures of each thing, just at a slightly different angle or hue.:lol:

4. brianhood

brianhood No Care Ever

i'll agree with that. Just based off of what some bands that i recorded told me. Some bands are easily suckered, unfortunately.

5. Joshua Wickman

Joshua Wickman Yes Sir!

Yea it seems they kinda use there "we get bands signed" to scam local bands to pay a lot of money for recording and management. They hit my old band up and offered us a management deal and we had to pay them 2000.00 to manage us. Which is just ridiculous and I laughed at the dude on the phone. Its really sad that local bands buy into this place. I also have recorded several bands that recorded at Chin and they all have the same story and it was not very positive.

Sounds like they got you caught in the hype though....:heh:

6. [UEAK]Clowd

[UEAK]Clowd Member

Don't record with them. Record with Tony G or Ben Schigel @ Spider right outside Cleveland. I love those guys, they are awesome to hang with and they put out consistently good work.

and the Chin Music guys are nothing but scammers.

7. Wolfeman

Wolfeman I Prefer EL-34s. So What?

Yeah dude stay clear of Chin. I can hook you up with Schigel, he had asked if I knew anyone looking for studio time.

Also Cole Marteniez(Aborted) has a studio on the west side of Cleveland, he does a great job and is cheap. Let me know if you need numbers.

8. bryan.batiste

thanks for the replies guys, i was kinda getting that vibe from the place but to be honest..the non refundable deposit is already in and we got a heavily discounted rate for a 3 song ep so theres pretty much no turning back from here.

I by no means will even listen to a management offer from anybody because we're DIY to the core.

Also we get 100 copies for free so we'll pretty much use that to send out to labels. I'll be that guy clashing with the engineer just to make sure he isn't cutting corners. i'll be sure to keep you guys up to date with the experience and give mic/equipment lists.

I'll post in this thread and on thesebranches.com (gotta plug it eventually lol)

9. brianhood

brianhood No Care Ever

seeing as how they have no prices listed on their website, i find it hard to believe they gave your band a heavily discounted rate(not to be a negative Nancy). Another band i recorded told me they also got a "discounted rate" there, which leads me to believe they tell every band that.

10. alan1990

alan1990 Member

stay away from this place i was in the band A Walking Memory shortly before they recorded with them and they were way overcharged for the quality of recording not to mention the sleeping area was pretty nasty and they took almost 4 months for them to get anything back. There are forum members in the lower michigan area that will do a much better job

11. Mat Laperle

Mat Laperle RedDuskStudio

Funny, the guys at Chin studio/Standby records asked 2 unknown Montreal bands I recorded to go to the USA record with them for a ''special low price deal'' and that if it turned good they would get signed by Standby records.... And one of the band agreed to do it and is going there in 2 weeks..........

12. Seth Munson

Seth Munson How do Amber Lamps?

thats sad

13. brianhood

brianhood No Care Ever

putting out solid recordings, working hard, and making bands happy>scamming bands into recording with you and giving your studio a bad reputation.

being legit always wins in the end.

14. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

It's pretty sad how gullible bands are. Shit, I'm recording a band right now that got scammed by a "manager." They were in denial about it pretty hard core, but this past week they told me the story and I said "sounds like you got scammed" and then I asked if there was any written agreement. Well of course there was not, just handshakes. :lol:

All you got to have it a pretty sweet speech that is just under to good to be true and your in.

15. [UEAK]Clowd

[UEAK]Clowd Member

good luck.

come back in two weeks when you are unhappy with it and I'll give you Tony G's digits.

16. nwright

nwright Member

Are these dudes and this studio related to Hardcore Marketing? IIRC, FIT was affiliated with Hardcore Marketing and some dude with the last name Dibiasi (spelling is probably wrong)...They tried to sell my band the same management/recording/etc. "package" (3K to record and get shopped and "managed"), and I know they've pulled some shit with other bands. From what I heard of HM and their studio stuff, it was ridiculously expensive for the quality, though.

17. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

18. Seth Munson

Seth Munson How do Amber Lamps?

19. bryan.batiste

lol yeah i'm getting the raw tracks too and unmastered versions of what they mix to cover my ass

they charged us 600 for 4 days 3 nights

i'll be sure to let you guys know whats up

20. nwright

nwright Member

meh, that doesnt sound too bad, IMO. hopefully you get a nice product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.