Separate names with a comma.
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by srosenblatt, Nov 19, 2013.
Oliva "Father of Time" Shirt (25)
A few other JOP shirts (25)
Doctor butcher shirt
Signed and numbered posters of Jon
Guitar picks (3 for $5)
There was more but I can't remember it all.
Thanks for the details. I'll be at the Clifton, NJ show.
Steve in Philly
Did you see what the VIP shirts looked like, by any chance? Dunno if any of the Oliva worshippers were wearing theirs at the show..
What about those who don't live anywhere near where this tour is going?
Lol, maybe they're already used to it by now...
Sorry I am so late in posting this, but I just got back to a computer that works!!
I was at the first show in Charlotte, NC. They were a 3-piece (fully electric) with Chris on drums and a bass player. I didn't get his name or recognize him. Jon sat behind the keys, but played a lot of guitar while sitting down. Copying the setlist from above, this is what I remember him playing:
Paul O Neil Version of Jesus Saves
Tonight he grins again
Strange Reality - **Just remembered!!**
Lady in Disguise
Hey Bulldog - Beatles Cover
If I Go Away
Medly of Chance, something else and HOR
When The Crowds Are Gone
A few (maybe 3) JOP songs (I am not that familiar) - One of these Matt's (RIP) favorite JOP song - Walk Upon the Water. I can't remember the others.
Can't Get Away
That's pretty close. A few observations:
1. The show was poorly attended. In a venue that could hold maybe 500 people, there were 60-70 people in attendence. There were only 20 people up front. Although Jon didn't say anything, it was borderline embarrassing.
2. This was the first show, so there were numerous technical and sound problems. Jon seemed to play a lot of wrong notes on the keys, which is unusual for him. He did mention the sound at sound check and the show were two different animals. Their van got broken into the night before and a bunch of cables and some other stuff were taken. He seemed slightly distracted most of the night and had numerous conversations with his tech that I couldn't tell were friendly or not. He played almost 2 hours. There was no warm up band.
3. The show turned very emotional, as Criss seemed to be on his mind and he talked about it a lot. Don't know if the passing of Matt had anything to do with it, or the 20th anniversay of Criss' death being last October. He started crying during "If I Go Away" and so did I. I was wearing my Criss shirt and Jon kept acknowleding it.
4. My highlight of the night was "Summers Rain". It was soooo emotional. I hollered at him when he was done, "That was Criss' greatest solo!!". He nodded and said, "Yes it was."
5. The stories were very short before each song. There was WAY more music than storytelling. Most of the stories involved Criss and how he fit into the song. One funny moment was he said Criss came to him with a new riff. Jon played "Smoke on the Water" intro and he told Criss that one was already taken!!
6. One cool thing, I have never seen Jon play that much guitar. He played 2 electrics - a strat and a tele. He also played an acoustic guitar. He played a number of leads which were pretty good. The played some soulful blues riffs that were quite good.
7. One ProgPower moment - when he said he was going to play some songs from STREETS, someone in the crowd shouted, "Play the whole damn thing!!". Jon replied, "Gotta wait until September!!". Two of us said, "we'll be there!!!!!".
This show was definitely worth the $17!! I will make the 12/11 show in Houston.
Awesome, Chris.. can't wait for the Dallas show next Tuesday..
Father Time (new album)
Ten Years (new album)
Out On The Streets (Savatage)
Lady in Disguise (Savatage)
Summer's Rain (Savatage)
Streets Medley (Savatage)
-Jesus Saves - Original/Demo Version
-Tonight He Grins Again
Hey Bulldog (Beatles cover)
Edge Of Thorns Medley (Savatage)
-All That I Bleed
Look At The World (Jon Oliva's Pain)
Walk Upon The Water (Jon Oliva's Pain)
Fly Away (Jon Oliva's Pain)
Handful Of Rain Medley (Savatage)
-Stare Into The Sun?
-Alone You Breathe?
Someone/Souls (Jon Oliva's Pain)
Can't Get Away (new album)
Child In Time (Deep Purple cover)
When The Crowds Are Gone (Savatage)
Anyone going to Poughkeepsie tonight?
Nice, thanks for sharing.....
Gonna try to Milton
I wanna carpool with Milton!!!!!!!
I'd love to be in a position to carpool to Poughkeepsie. Unfortunately, I don't live in NYC anymore..
Anyone from the NYC/LI area going to Dingbatz tonight and willing to have an extra person ride along? I'll chip in for gas/tolls/parking, etc (and I don't take up too much room).
Awesome! Thanks, man!
On top of that, if there are any stories that Jon tells that you find fascinating and you can remember pieces to send me, please do...
...even if it's not the full story, fragments and ideas of what he's talking about are a good start for me.
ANYTHING you can remember is appreciated. Even if it's his emotions, how you felt, whatever you want to write down and send my way is awesome.
And if it's just the setlist / what you remember, that is extremely helpful too.
I REALLY appreciate it.
Your observations were great! Thanks so much for recapping with all of that information. I can't WAIT until the St. Pete show.
And, heck yeah for ProgPowerUSA moments! STREEEEEEEETS!
The "Smoke on the Water" quip is hilarious. \m/
Seriously, dude, I cannot thank you enough!
Dude you rock. \m/ Nice post.