This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Classic prog metal song

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by fremen, Oct 16, 2007.

1. fremen

fremen Old newbie

2. grywolf627

grywolf627 Member

Wow. It sounds the great the way it is. Circus Maximus is one of my favorite Prog/Power metal bands, and this mix isn't too far off the mark. I think I like these guitars sound more. :) There's maybe just a couple of minor things that are really just matters of personal preference. I wouldn't change a thing. Great job!!!

3. fremen

fremen Old newbie

Hey thanks ! I love Circus Maximus too :) I must really check all these great prog metal records of recent years to compare my sound with theirs. I would just like to beef up the rythm guitars a little in the low mids, maybe through multiband compression ? With Amplitube 2 it's not easy to have those strong low mids...

4. grywolf627

grywolf627 Member

Sorry about the late response! That was Amplitube 2? Wow, one of the better sounds I've heard come out of it. Yeah, some low mids would beef it up a little. If reamping is possible (and time permitting), give the Wagner Sharp ampsim a shot. It's a little more 5150-ish so has more prominent mids. Either stick a tube screamer in front of it, or just boost the signal going into it and use the hi/low pass tone shaping in the ampsim's front end. It may be just the ticket you're looking for. Works realllly well when quad tracked with a Recto sound.

5. fremen

fremen Old newbie

Thanks for the tip ; I'm already using Wagner, combined with Juicy, for another band I'm recording. I should try it again for my own work, maybe with other impulses. BTW, what impulses would you recommend for stronger low mids ?

6. carvedones

carvedones Member

Im impressed. Sounds great. Not my style of vocals but is cool anyway.

7. grywolf627

grywolf627 Member

With all of GuitarHack's impulses, I sometimes get lost trying to decide which one I like best. :) I used the Mesa Trad Quad Edge on my current project. I've also really liked one called "b half" or something like this. Some others have really loved the Fredman or Sneap ones. If you don't have those impulses, you can find them in my folder on the ftp.

This song you posted, is it your band, or a band you were recording? What's the band's name?

8. blackbird

blackbird Toltec

Great sound and song!

9. fremen

fremen Old newbie

Thanks, already have all of GH impulses, and many more ! This is my band, Feedback. But for the recording I played and recorded everything (drums are sequenced), minus the vocals. I'll soon rework some bits here and there but 95% of the work is done now.